News Keith Bradford, Vice President of Disney Springs to leave the company

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not around here, lol.

It also didn't take more than a few posts to get in a dig at stores closing in Disney Springs. The hatred for that project is hilarious.

Long ago...on another playground...I focused a lot on the downtown project...downtown Hyperion springs...

I thought it was a way bigger deal than avatar or even Star Wars...I think that area is vital longterm.

I don’t know...I vassilate between loving it and hating it. There are some good and very bad angles to it.

I think we all can agree the bus stop is the worst idea in history, however 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is true, the stores are killing it, and nearly all that are chains are reporting the Disney Springs locations to be the highest performing in their brands.

I think the dynamic...yet to develop. Is whether that will continue if the newness wears off...

...and if Disney tries to get too greedy on the deals...

...and how crushing the next recession will be...

More to follow.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Long ago...on another playground...I focused a lot on the downtown project...downtown Hyperion springs...

I thought it was a way bigger deal than avatar or even Star Wars...I think that area is vital longterm.

I don’t know...I vassilate between loving it and hating it. There are some good and very bad angles to it.

I think we all can agree the bus stop is the worst idea in history, however 😎
The new bus stop positioning seems to be the best solution. Centrally located, and with ample space for people and busses.

The former were cramped and unpleasant.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would have to disagree. It certainly has had some consequences that should have been foreseen. However it is centrally located and far more efficient. The former bus stops were painfully small and to the point of being dangerous.

It’s way too big/spread out...buses can literally come in and leave if you’re coming out of the gateway...

There’s just no good solutions there...that roadway/area was never meant handle that kind of volume.

The bus stop is “centrally located” to buy far the least crowded section of the whole compound...the sleepy covered walkway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The new bus stop positioning seems to be the best solution. Centrally located, and with ample space for people and busses.

The former were cramped and unpleasant.

...different strokes. After all that work...I still find the place extremely flawed. Just no good transportation plan for where and what it is.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
...different strokes. After all that work...I still find the place extremely flawed. Just no good transportation plan for where and what it is.
I think dedicated bus lanes, all the roadwork that has been done, new garages, and the huge central bus stop is a pretty robust transportation plan. About the only thing that wasn't done was to add a new method of transport.

peter11435

It’s way too big/spread out...buses can literally come in and leave if you’re coming out of the gateway...

There’s just no good solutions there...that roadway/area was never meant handle that kind of volume.

The bus stop is “centrally located” to buy far the least crowded section of the whole compound...the sleepy covered walkway.
It needs to be big and spread out. This is a necessary evil when dealing with 40’ buses going to nearly 2 dozen destinations plus have room for guest flow and queues. The same can be said for all the park bus stops.

The modifications to BVD have allowed the volume to be easily absorbed. Something that really wasn’t possible with the old stops. Especially since they required all buses to come in from the back side and go out of their way to access.

No. The bus stops have two access points. One side provides access to and from the west side and primarily the theater complex. The main access is directly in the the center of the town center at the heart of the entire complex.

It wouldn’t make sense to drop off people at the busiest section. It makes sense increase crowd flow through underutilized areas on their way to the high demand areas. Same reasoning behind placing high demand attractions in the backs of parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think dedicated bus lanes, all the roadwork that has been done, new garages, and the huge central bus stop is a pretty robust transportation plan. About the only thing that wasn't done was to add a new method of transport.

I’m not debating the size of it...just the effectiveness of it.

They basically kicked the can forward...moderate improvement combined with a large traffic increase.

Just me...I’m not claiming to have any answers to it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It needs to be big and spread out. This is a necessary evil when dealing with 40’ buses going to nearly 2 dozen destinations plus have room for guest flow and queues. The same can be said for all the park bus stops.

The modifications to BVD have allowed the volume to be easily absorbed. Something that really wasn’t possible with the old stops. Especially since they required all buses to come in from the back side and go out of their way to access.

No. The bus stops have two access points. One side provides access to and from the west side and primarily the theater complex. The main access is directly in the the center of the town center at the heart of the entire complex.

It wouldn’t make sense to drop off people at the busiest section. It makes sense increase crowd flow through underutilized areas on their way to the high demand areas. Same reasoning behind placing high demand attractions in the backs of parks.

You’re not “explaining” any of the reasons to me...I get the concept. I just think there aren’t really any “good” options there. The location and proximity to the edge of property...an advantage to the sleepy lbv village at first...is no longer an advantage once the compound got big.

peter11435

You’re not “explaining” any of the reasons to me...I get the concept. I just think there aren’t really any “good” options there. The location and proximity to the edge of property...an advantage to the sleepy lbv village at first...is no longer an advantage once the compound got big.
I would argue that it’s location on the edge of the property and easy access to and from I4 is more of an advantage now than ever before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would argue that it’s location on the edge of the property and easy access to and from I4 is more of an advantage now than ever before.

Well that’s why it was built there in the first place....easy highway access in a 1975 “sleepy orlando” with one theme park in town...

But somewhere around 1995...the worm turned and it’s a congested mess. It is what it is.

peter11435

Well that’s why it was built there in the first place....easy highway access in a 1975 “sleepy orlando” with one theme park in town...

But somewhere around 1995...the worm turned and it’s a congested mess. It is what it is.
The congestion has been drastically improved. The edge of the property is still the best place for that congestion rather than right in the middle of everything else. And as I said easy access to I-4 and the ability to get in and out without traversing the property is a bigger advantage now than ever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am dusting off my resume and will be using special Dole Whip-scented cardstock this time around. Still annoyed at being runner up for the Magic Kingdom VP job. "Very competitive field," my butt.

I’m in, baby...I can start from scratch and find a new wife fresh outta vista way and spend my days messing with sentinel reporters about the adventurers club being rebuilt.

Tipster codename: CON ga leeewwwsh

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The congestion has been drastically improved. The edge of the property is still the best place for that congestion rather than right in the middle of everything else. And as I said easy access to I-4 and the ability to get in and out without traversing the property is a bigger advantage now than ever.

Now that the dust settled...I have to echo my favorite hockey coach and say I’m “Not Impressss....”

Its just a different opinion, not really an argument. Sometimes a cake is just a cake.

MrPromey

I think the dynamic...yet to develop. Is whether that will continue if the newness wears off...

Well, they have a pretty good level of control on that "newness".

As long as they keep refreshing the area, continuing to cycle out what doesn't work with attempts at new things that might and don't let the overall feel become run-down or dated (small updates here and there rather than the need to completely rebuild) they should be able to keep the momentum going and unlike the challenges with the parks over recent history, there is a strong financial incentive for them to do so starting from day-1, here.

And of course, small regular events that give crowds a reason to come back and notice that stuff has changed and improved over time to compliment their favorite things wouldn't hurt, either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom