News Citizen becomes the Official Timepiece of Walt Disney World Resort

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
But at the end of the day, if you no longer like the parks, why not move on to something you will enjoy? I've "only" been 10 times since 2003 so it's a bit unfair to dismiss me like that. I still see quality in the parks, because I haven't done them to death, and fair enough.

The problem is, having not seen WDW in the 80's and 90's you have no frame of reference for comparison. I get Disney is a business and not a charity operation and they are entitled to make a profit. But when you continually raise prices, cut services/hours/staffing/entertainment, nickel and dime guests for things which had previously been included (parking fees, etc.)it gets to be a bit aggravating. It's not gotten to the point for me to say screw it I'm done, because I really do enjoy going to the parks and vacationing there, and talking about them. However, if this is the direction and strategy which it seems like P+R is going at some point I will say screw it, I'm done.

Yeahhhh I'm about the furthest thing from a "low information fan".

yep.... then maybe you should change your profile tag to something other than "Epcot Purist" .

Neal

As a watch snob/collector, I'm pretty excited by this. Years ago we bought a few of the nicer Mickey-themed watches in various stores, mainly by Bulova and Skagen. But the first one I bought was a skeleton case automatic with Mickey's arms as the watch hands. I loved that watch. But the movement just broke one day. Unfortunately, it is unbranded. I had no company to turn to for service. I took it to a local guy, who said it was a pretty standard Japanese movement, and to replace it would be $xxx.xx, and that unless it had serious sentimental value probably wouldn't be worth it. He was right. The repair cost was almost equal to the purchase price. For that, I'd rather buy a new one. But I decided not to purchase any more Disney watches that were not branded. So i'm excited to see what Citizen comes up with. I wonder how long it will take.

ABQ

As a watch snob/collector, I'm pretty excited by this. Years ago we bought a few of the nicer Mickey-themed watches in various stores, mainly by Bulova and Skagen. But the first one I bought was a skeleton case automatic with Mickey's arms as the watch hands. I loved that watch. But the movement just broke one day. Unfortunately, it is unbranded. I had no company to turn to for service. I took it to a local guy, who said it was a pretty standard Japanese movement, and to replace it would be $xxx.xx, and that unless it had serious sentimental value probably wouldn't be worth it. He was right. The repair cost was almost equal to the purchase price. For that, I'd rather buy a new one. But I decided not to purchase any more Disney watches that were not branded. So i'm excited to see what Citizen comes up with. I wonder how long it will take.
I have the same automatic skeleton. The movement is a Miyota, who, consequently is owned by Citizen?

Neal

I have the same automatic skeleton. The movement is a Miyota, who, consequently is owned by Citizen?
Yeah, I had done the research and found that it was a Miyota. But, again, even if Citizen owns the Miyota factory, as the watch is unbranded, there was no way to get a company's service department.

ABQ

Yeah, I had done the research and found that it was a Miyota. But, again, even if Citizen owns the Miyota factory, as the watch is unbranded, there was no way to get a company's service department.
Oh yeah, I was only going to the point that they were related organizations, nothing more than that. I will say that I have two of the many Citizen eco-drive Mickey Mouse watches, and find it to be pretty great in quality and build. The bracelet strap on one them is particularly impressive. Tight tolerances, brushed and polished combination in finish.

surfsupdon

They had Citizen signage on all of the mile markers for the WineDineHalf a week ago. Unfortunately, and oddly enough, several of them were placed over top of the actual digital clock, meaning I as a runner could not see my time as I ran by. At mile 11, that gave me a very bad taste in my mouth for Citizen and I thought "I'll never buy that crappy product" out of frustration.

Dr. Falls

Does anyone else remember the art watches with the fun dials they used to have in the parks in the early 2000s? Those were so fun and unique - a lot of the watches currently in the parks feel cookie-cutter. I mean, I would fork over decent money for a wrist-sized replica of the Main Street clock dials or the Cinderella Castle clock.

I'm surprised Disney went with Citizen though, in all honesty. They just released a really unique collaboration with Nixon for Mickey's 90th after all.

trainplane3

Does anyone have a before pic of the clocks?
This is a poor example because of the quality but here's the BTM one. You can go into Google Maps and go around the park to see the previous ones that way.
ticktockimaclock.PNG

epcotisbest

Here is my Citizen Eco Drive Mickey watch I have been wearing for about 10 years. I love it, especially because it was a gift from my wife. I have worn out a couple of bands and did have to replace the eco drive battery once (yes they do have a eco drive specific battery, called an energy cell capacitor, but it lasts a long long time).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom