News Walter E. Disney overhaul

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
For those who are interested, here is a current photo of the Walter E. Disney at the Strasburg Railroad. You are looking at the boiler, firebox, and the steam dome closest to the cab, which is also the one that the whistle is attached to, on a flatbed trailer.

A4D6D2BF-E830-461C-B2EE-B999A8B989DA.jpeg

Other than this, I’m not really sure what the status is, in terms of progress. Hopefully everything is going well and is on schedule.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Is this in Strasburg, PA? Would you mind filling in the ignorant (me) on what exactly the history of this specific train is?
Yes it's in Strasburg, PA. The Walter E. Disney is a 4-6-0 ten wheeler built in May of 1925 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA. Like the Lilly Belle, the Roger E. Broggie, and the Roy O. Disney, it was used on the Ferrocarriles Unidos de Yucatan (United Railways of Yucatan) in Mexico hauling sugarcane.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Haha yes. I think that he and I are the only ones on the forums who are "WDWRR railfans".

Incorrect! :)

Adding one more here! I may not understand the mechanical end of things like most of you do, but I love looking at trains (especially older ones). Between this thread and some others at various time on the forum, I've learned some interesting facts about trains. :happy:

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
I'm only a few hours away from Strasburg, we've been there twice in the last couple of years for Thomas and other events. If I were to go up in the next few months, what are the chances of catching a glimpse of the Walter E. Disney? That would be very cool and worth the trip.
That would be awesome, but the chances of you seeing the Walter would be pretty slim. They are trying to keep things hush hush over there, like they did with the Lilly Belle, even though the public knows what's going on.

rodserling27

I live 45 min away from Strasburg. Much like Biff215, I wonder if they would let me go look at this. Maybe if I called and tried to make specific arrangements? Totally neat photo, thanks for sharing this!!

John park hopper

I am old enough to remember steam locomotives on the Long Island Railroad NY-- last one ran in 1955. so where was the Walter E. Disney originally found, is it being restored for WDW or the train museum at Strasburg? Went to Strasburg many years ago awesome place. RFD TV has an old train show films of steam locomotives from the past and operating trains. There is nothing like a steam locomotive. Add me to the list of WDWRR rail fans

Last edited:

Biff215

I am old enough to remember steam locomotives on the Long Island Railroad NY-- last one ran in 1955. so where was the Walter E. Disney found, is it being restored for WDW or the train museum at Strasburg? Went to Strasburg many years ago awesome place. RFD TV has an old train show films of steam locomotives from the past and operating trains. There is nothing like a steam locomotive. Add me to the list of WDWRR rail fans
Stasburg restores the engines for WDW, some of the others have recently gone through the same process.

John park hopper

Cue the screams of horror at seeing Walter in this condition. :eek:;)

John, all of the WDW locomotives were sourced from a boneyard in Yucatán, Mexico, as part of the original construction of WDW. They were originally restored in Tampa by WED Enterprises.

This is a bit of WDW history I knew nothing about. This post has got my interest up going to have to search for more info on this --Thanks

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom