News Digital Key coming soon to Walt Disney World Resort hotels

note2001

With new aspir progam, for our cast members, glad to be a share holder walt would be happy..
They're just catching up to the competition. Nothing amazing about it. I'll be more impressed when I hear that low paid cast members have been able to receive a degree and moved on up the ladder. While a selling point for Disney right now, it will be interesting to see what happens over time. All too often companies will refuse to pay tuition due or acknowledge the existence of these programs.

Now, how is this related to the digital key?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Smart watches are popular. Look at how many people have Apple Watches, FitBits, and Android watches. Most of my friends have at least one, between them and their spouse. Those would be the ones that could open the doors, anyway.

What do you think the overall usage is? Compared to wrist watches in 1985?

That would be more predictive of how effective converting for smart watches would be.

bektex

What do you think the overall usage is? Compared to wrist watches in 1985?

That would be more predictive of how effective converting for smart watches would be.
Smart watches have bluetooth capabilities, just like smart phones, so the tech is already there. If they will enable phone capabilities, why not do both?

phillip9698

From my experience this is only good for when you are checking in really late and don't want to stop at the front desk or when you forgot your key card in the room. Other than that it's a lot slower to use your phone as a key than it is to use the card or in this case a magic band.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Smart watches have bluetooth capabilities, just like smart phones, so the tech is already there. If they will enable phone capabilities, why not do both?

Same reason why Disney would or wouldn’t do anything...cost/benefit analysis

1. How much will it cost to do it?
2. Is there longterm overhead associated?
3. What’s the potential to generate revenue specifically from this?

To be clear...I’m not arguing...this is a good idea/concept.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From my experience this is only good for when you are checking in really late and don't want to stop at the front desk or when you forgot your key card in the room. Other than that it's a lot slower to use your phone as a key than it is to use the card or in this case a magic band.

The reason this doesn’t light my lamp is this: magic bands are more “handsfree”
Than a phone...so why would I bother?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It wasn't a theory. It only explained ways which Digital Key can be utilized specific to front office operations. I made no mention of what I expect from Disney.

I gotcha...I’m just saying that in no way does the walt disney company want less work for employees by design...that’s a “loss”

And “more time with the guest” cuts down on their time to spend money.

BLUE OCEAN...farm it out.

TrojanUSC

It could be utilized like that...or it could also lead to shorter lines at the check-in, which will allow front desk agents more freedom to take their time during those that do check-in at the front, and spend more time dealing with guest needs other than just a standard check-in. It really depends on the utilization rate. If only 5 or 10% of guests at a hotel skip the front desk and go straight to their room, can the front desk afford to lose an agent for that particular day? Maybe, it can depend on a lot of things...occupancy percentage, the actual total number of arrivals that day, etc. Also depends on how hotel leadership wants to handle it.

It's also that it's become industry standard for hotel chains and Disney is trying to compete in the convention market.

redsfan4life

Who that can afford a Disney vacation doesn't have a cell phone? In the very rare instance, I'm sure they'll have a way to get in.
Its not that I can not afford a cell phone just am old fashioned and do not need one . If someone needs to get ahold of me call my land phone .

FigmentForver96

I don't think this is a big deal. It is just another option. You don't have to use it. Hotels around the world have been doing this for a while.
How dare you not overreact!! You clearly aren’t a REAL Disney fan cause REAL Disney fans would know that this would have never happened back in the day! This is all part of some ploy to save money or upcharge! 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom