News New exhibit coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion Stave Church Gallery

tnemgif

This was open today. Really fantastic exhibit! There is a large tree in the center of the room with four life-size carvings of Norse Gods around the tree. Every few minutes, a recording plays, summarizing something about Loki and Thor (forgive me for not remembering). A mural/diorama covered the lagoon side of the exhibit and seemed like it may animate with a projection. The opposite wall had multiple museum cases with artwork and artifacts. Sorry for the bad photos - it was really crowded!

Attachments

• C61FC531-6B76-44CB-9F76-D38772DE188B.jpeg
    C61FC531-6B76-44CB-9F76-D38772DE188B.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 7D60C166-9505-40AA-964E-0C6D9A142A9C.jpeg
    7D60C166-9505-40AA-964E-0C6D9A142A9C.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 243

tnemgif

Sorry for the double post. I went back for a second look!

The mural IS a projection/screen with shooting stars.

Attachments

• E02703B4-4C46-43EE-B403-3A2E5D092A8E.jpeg
    E02703B4-4C46-43EE-B403-3A2E5D092A8E.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 0AEC37E8-33ED-4AC6-B4ED-0F76A4F8ED6E.jpeg
    0AEC37E8-33ED-4AC6-B4ED-0F76A4F8ED6E.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 7E1ECB13-91CD-4304-BB60-01217337F355.jpeg
    7E1ECB13-91CD-4304-BB60-01217337F355.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 227
  • F28E9EBE-9D13-40E9-AEC1-8799D57EC880.jpeg
    F28E9EBE-9D13-40E9-AEC1-8799D57EC880.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 232
  • E24D4731-3691-4065-880E-E3711FE7EE87.jpeg
    E24D4731-3691-4065-880E-E3711FE7EE87.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 244
  • C4DB5E3B-357D-4585-A293-D6C745E71C76.jpeg
    C4DB5E3B-357D-4585-A293-D6C745E71C76.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 251

doctornick

Seems like a nice solid addition and appropriate for WS

I think mythology lends itself very easily to WS and would love to see more. Would be cool, for example, to have an attraction based on Roman gods in Italy (there was once plans for a Roman ruins walkthrough, no?). Or even something with the Aeneid or Romulus & Remus. Maybe something with Celtic mythology in UK.

If they ever did something like Egypt or Greece, then using the ancient mythologies for them would work (obviously Greek stuff would be instead of Roman stuff in Italy since there is so much overlap).

aladdin2007

Saw this today, really loved it. It was so crowded couldn't even read half the material hardly that I wanted to. Good to see so much interest from people of all ages. The ambiance was great, background music, items, the mural with the waterfall, star, and fire motions reminds me of Maelstrom a bit. Its like walking back into the vikings again. Vidunderli job Disney with this one. Now ditch the princess mess in akershus and....ok will stay on topic lol.

Phineas

Wow. This is really refreshing, and great to see. I still miss my trolls and oil rigs, but I'll take what I can get from Epcot at this point.

briangaw

I agree too! This seems well done. This is what needs to happen throughout Epcot. Future World can really use these types of exhibits too. In the current day and age, the investment needed to constantly update entire rides in a World's Fair style at the rate that they need to be updated today just can't happen. Especially in areas of technology. It all changes far too quickly and Disney (and frankly any company for that matter) really can't support that level of capital spending . Additionally with the science centers and the internet there are many places today to get the edutainment. I know the purists will think this is heresy and I totally understand their point of view. I think that the one way Epcot can continue to even hold onto it's dedication day purpose and message by it's fingertips and while also bend to today's realities as well as the direction Disney is heading would be to combine attention grabbing main attractions and coupling them with exhibitions such as this one and perhaps larger ones.

For me, while I don't think it is the best movie IP for integration, having a Frozen attraction that draws in kids and families and sort of introduces a Scandinavian setting and cultural tones (regardless how much fantasy is also involved) that then has some great exhibits on real culture adjacent that can then spark an interest in a child which parents/guardians can then foster as they go home is in some ways redeeming and is workable. Ratatouille going into France, while retaining Impressions de France rings the same as well. I think that making connections to known and popular things in engaging ways is edutainment.

I think where Future World works today is where this exists. Living with the Seas (while I agree the lead in attraction could be updated and made less storybook as well as the aquarium could use some $$$) has a great draw of an attraction that then has a decent aquarium with great conservation and educational moments. Imagination used to have this well done with ImageWorks after an engaging attraction. Now both the attraction and post exhibits have both been neutered. The Land pavilion misses completely as Soarin' has nothing at least there was Circle of Life. I think Mission Space and Test Track are missing the science and technology based post exhibits and are a big area for improvement. I don't mind the branding and fun stuff in the post attraction spaces, but there also needs to be exhibit and learning spaces. This leads to the new Guardians Energy????? maybe??? Pavilion. With the entire coaster and IP aside, if--and this is a big if--the attraction at least introduces the ideas of energy even most topically, but then has really engaging post attraction exhibit spaces which discuss energy like the old space in Innoventions then it will be redeemed for me. These spaces are more manageable and can be updated and maintained far better then entire attractions and those who visit can be inspired by them and learn from them as well.
I do see where there is a potential that one aspect of Epcot may be lost in this model and that is the inspiration of those who visit about the prospects of the future. The only hope is that Imagineers will be inspired by the past and can still bring inspirational tones and messages to new attractions. Even if they include IP or are more thrill based. I mean Mission Space for me is inspirational. Let's hope Disney adds more and more of these kinds of exhibits and showcases to Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom