News Atlanta Braves extend Spring training agreement with the ESPN Wide World of Sports through April 2019

c-one

I can't ever remember seeing the Orlando Rays without feeling like I had to whisper, lest I disturb the players. Shame because a little minor-league baseball seems like one of those relaxed nighttime activities, but then again I'm not sure the economics of it align with Disney's premium pricing for everything.

shortstop

I wonder what the viability of bringing another minor league team in would be?

I know some alignment contracts are up this year and a whole bunch are up in 2020.

Or does Disney even want to deal with that?
Seems to me like if I was the owner of a financially unstable minor league team I’d love to move the team to be on Disney property. So I guess the question is whether, like you said, Disney would even want to deal with that.

jakeman

Offer them free rooms, and board.
Maybe.

I don't know the ins and outs of Spring Training but I've heard the burden of travel is one of the reasons so many teams are clustering closer together on the coast.

Right now, the Braves closet team is the Tigers in Lakeland. Beyond that they are dealing with I-4 traffic to get to Tampa.

jt04

I think a plan to have every Florida spring training team schedule at least one game at wwos if Disney doesn't get a replacement for the braves might work.

jakeman

I think a plan to have every Florida spring training team schedule at least one game at wwos if Disney doesn't get a replacement for the braves might work.
I doubt that but could be wrong.

Again, the prevailing motivation for these new facilities is to reduce travel burden.

If something like this happened at best you'd get a bunch of Triple/Double-A split squads duking it out at WWoS while the stars stay at the home facility.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Braves extend contracts more than Iger.

I think wwos will always have spring training even if the braves leave someday.

Not at all...

There are no teams within a 60 minute drive of them now and most are more like 3...

The braves in Orlando served both sides...but with new facilities and relocations, central Florida is no longer viable

disneygeek90

I can't ever remember seeing the Orlando Rays without feeling like I had to whisper, lest I disturb the players. Shame because a little minor-league baseball seems like one of those relaxed nighttime activities, but then again I'm not sure the economics of it align with Disney's premium pricing for everything.
We now have the Florida Fire Frogs in Kissimmee! I went to a couple games last year. Nice drink specials and close to the action.

I'm glad to see we will have the Braves one more year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom