News Disney to pilot electronic-only transactions at its resort hotels

TrojanUSC

Do you think so? I can’t imagine that many people dining at Disney resorts when not staying onsite. Even if they are, I’m sure the reservations page would have the policy listed.

Lots of people dine at Disney restaurants when staying at the Bonnet Creek resorts, Hotel Plaza Drive hotels, etc. I almost exclusively stay at the Four Seasons or Waldorf now and I eat mostly at Disney hotel restaurants.

nickys

Premium Member
I’d be curious to see what percentage of guests dining at a resort are A) not staying st that resort and B) not staying at any Disney Resort.

Of course I’d also be curious to know what percentage of guests are still paying in cash.

A) pretty high I'd guess - 90%
B) low - maybe 10%, boosted by Cape May, Ohana, CM, Park1900 and breakfasts especially.

I've also seen people pay using cash at buffets, where the price is fixed and it's easy to budget. Even families staying onsite. So at least 0.00000000000000001% then ;)

21stamps

I did say it wasn't too likely for dinner. But for casual purchases? Like I've said, minimum transaction fees can make small purchases ridiculous. And although pre-paid or currency cards are becoming more popular in the U.K., a lot of people will still have an "old fashioned" credit card with fees attached.

Playing devil's advocate here. We stay onsite, so have no issue using our magic bands.

I guess I just didn’t realize that many people still use credit cards that have foreign transaction fees. I’d be scared to death to travel with that much cash.

Lots of people dine at Disney restaurants when staying at the Bonnet Creek resorts, Hotel Plaza Drive hotels, etc. I almost exclusively stay at the Four Seasons or Waldorf now and I eat mostly at Disney hotel restaurants.

Maybe, I just can’t imagine that it’s a large percentage of the restaurant at any given time. Hopefully Disney will have the policy listed on the restaurant page.

nickys

Premium Member
I guess I just didn’t realize that many people still use credit cards that have foreign transaction fees. I’d be scared to death to travel with that much cash.

Well before we had currency cards, we used to take some cash (say $500) and then use CCs to take out $200 each time. We used the CCs for big spending (major souvenir shopping, entrance to KSC or Legoland) but pay cash for QS type meals and smaller purchases (less than $50 maybe). Once we started staying onsite we charged to the room when at WDW.

I know a lot of people who still do this whenever they travel anywhere Use the CC to withdraw a couple hundred dollars at a time (or equivalent) and use that to avoid lots of transaction fees.

A lot of our currency cards still have various fees. I use Caxton which I load from my debit account; I pay a currency conversion charge at that point, but any spending on it is fee-free. Others charge a fixed fee every time the card is used.

Calmdownnow

Do people really go places, domestically or internationally, without a debit or credit card on their person? Or do they remove them from their wallets before going to dinner?
I don’t know...this doesn’t sound like a very smart or safe way to travel.
Another UK resident with credit cards that charge fees for international expenditure. I take my ccs to Disney but don't use them -- they are kept in the safe and are my emergency funds in case I need medical treatment. This is following an incident when my sister was refused medical treatment in Florida because she didn't have a credit card with her. I also have had a bad experience at Animal Kingdom Lodge where I was up-graded to a one-bedroom (no, I didn't request an up-grade) and the front desk wanted a cc to charge the up-grade to. If I had done on-line check-in with a cc, I would not have discovered the up-grade charges until I opened the envelope on my door as I got ready to leave the hotel.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Even if you're staying on-site, chances are you're going to hop to another resort to eat while you're visiting. Don't forget the people renting condos and houses around the bubble as well. It would be absurd to assume anyone staying at the DoubleTree Disney Springs for example wouldn't book say Jiko or Ohana while they're in town.

21stamps

Even if you're staying on-site, chances are you're going to hop to another resort to eat while you're visiting. Don't forget the people renting condos and houses around the bubble as well. It would be absurd to assume anyone staying at the DoubleTree Disney Springs for example wouldn't book say Jiko or Ohana while they're in town.
The person would have a magic band If staying on site, regardless of resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom