News Disney to pilot electronic-only transactions at its resort hotels

21stamps

Another thing that Disney is implementing 15+ years after other destinations have been doing the same.

This is no different than any other resort where you have to charge everything to your room.

Last edited:

Jahona

So random thing to pipe in here. Ran into a problem with the concept of cashless this weekend. Had some pocket change on me and stopped at a tea shop for a drink. Ended up being three cents short on cash so I pulled out a card. The tea shop had a minimum charge of 5 dollars for cards which almost none of their drinks on their own would cost. I asked if they had any food items and they said no. I went ahead and took the 50 cent arbitrary fee they imposed on me just to use the card.

TrojanUSC

Another thing that Disney is implementing 15+ years after other destinations have been doing the same.

This is no different than any other resort where you have to charge everything to your room.

Yes, it’s different. Disney hotels have thousands of guests not staying on property to dine at restaurants who may have no idea about this policy.

peter11435

Yes, it’s different. Disney hotels have thousands of guests not staying on property to dine at restaurants who may have no idea about this policy.
I’d be curious to see what percentage of guests dining at a resort are A) not staying st that resort and B) not staying at any Disney Resort.

Of course I’d also be curious to know what percentage of guests are still paying in cash.

21stamps

So random thing to pipe in here. Ran into a problem with the concept of cashless this weekend. Had some pocket change on me and stopped at a tea shop for a drink. Ended up being three cents short on cash so I pulled out a card. The tea shop had a minimum charge of 5 dollars for cards which almost none of their drinks on their own would cost. I asked if they had any food items and they said no. I went ahead and took the 50 cent arbitrary fee they imposed on me just to use the card.
Over 3 cents? That stinks.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I hate when I have to pay atm fees because a restaurant/snack bar accepts cash only. A stupid $1.50 slushee ended up costing me $7.50 after atm fees last night at soccer. I wish places like that would remove the atm machine and just get a credit card scanner instead.

21stamps

Do you think so? I can’t imagine that many people dining at Disney resorts when not staying onsite. Even if they are, I’m sure the reservations page would have the policy listed.

jakeman

I’d be curious to see what percentage of guests dining at a resort are A) not staying st that resort and B) not staying at any Disney Resort.

Of course I’d also be curious to know what percentage of guests are still paying in cash.
I know when I go to Jiko's I pay that $150 bill in all nickels.

Guess I won't be eating there anymore. :p

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Over 3 cents? That stinks.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I hate when I have to pay atm fees because a restaurant/snack bar accepts cash only. A stupid $1.50 slushee ended up costing me $7.50 after atm fees last night at soccer. I wish places like that would remove the atm machine and just get a credit card scanner instead.
just keep a few bucks cash on you. It's not tricky.

21stamps

30 seconds at an atm or cashback at a larger store ??

It’s an excuse, but it’s out of my way. I actually do make it a point to get $40 at some time over the weekend.. somehow it’s gone to school or sports within a few days. The smart thing would be to just keep a stack of cash at home. But I never claimed to be smart. ;)

jaklgreen

Wow. I can't believe they didn't just let you get it with 3 cents short. We do that where I work. It all ends up even in the end because people leave extra loose change all the time. Heck, we probably come up ahead.

nickys

Premium Member
Do you think so? I can’t imagine that many people dining at Disney resorts when not staying onsite. Even if they are, I’m sure the reservations page would have the policy listed.

The concept of visiting resorts when visiting Disney used to be totally unheard of here in the U.K. I remember the first time we brought the boys and we could book an Ohana breakfast through Virgin Travel and this was marketed as "exclusive" back in 2005 maybe?

But now it's becoming more common. Not thousands but a fair number. Just for fun I made a reservation for Boma in the summer, fixed price of course. The email has nothing about payment by card only, nor does the reservations page. I'll keep it for now, see what happens as it gets closer.

Whereas it might be unlikely people would turn up to dine at Disney prices without a card on them, if people were visiting the resort and wanted to get something from the Mara or the gift shop, that's when it's much more likely people will be caught out by the policy. Kid's want a drink - tough luck. Want a nice plush animal or another wee souvenir - sorry, can't take cash.

21stamps

The concept of visiting resorts when visiting Disney used to be totally unheard of here in the U.K. I remember the first time we brought the boys and we could book an Ohana breakfast through Virgin Travel and this was marketed as "exclusive" back in 2005 maybe?

But now it's becoming more common. Not thousands but a fair number. Just for fun I made a reservation for Boma in the summer, fixed price of course. The email has nothing about payment by card only, nor does the reservations page. I'll keep it for now, see what happens as it gets closer.

Whereas it might be unlikely people would turn up to dine at Disney prices without a card on them, if people were visiting the resort and wanted to get something from the Mara or the gift shop, that's when it's much more likely people will be caught out by the policy. Kid's want a drink - tough luck. Want a nice plush animal or another wee souvenir - sorry, can't take cash.

Do people really go places, domestically or internationally, without a debit or credit card on their person? Or do they remove them from their wallets before going to dinner?
I don’t know...this doesn’t sound like a very smart or safe way to travel.

TrojanUSC

I’d venture to guess that the vast majority of guests dining at California Grill aren’t staying at the Contemporary or those at the Trattoria al Forno aren’t staying st Boardwalk. The current system forces people to book so far out based on word of mouth that it’s rare guests at popular restaurants are staying at the hotel.

nickys

Premium Member
Do people really go places, domestically or internationally, without a debit or credit card on their person? Or do they remove them from their wallets before going to dinner?
I don’t know...this doesn’t sound like a very smart or safe way to travel.

I did say it wasn't too likely for dinner. But for casual purchases? Like I've said, minimum transaction fees can make small purchases ridiculous. And although pre-paid or currency cards are becoming more popular in the U.K., a lot of people will still have an "old fashioned" credit card with fees attached.

Playing devil's advocate here. We stay onsite, so have no issue using our magic bands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom