News Disney’s Animal Kingdom Celebrates Hippo Birth

AEfx

This hippo was born as part of the SSP - Species Survival Plan, an international effort working to preserve the genetic diversity of species. The sad fact is that hippos, and other large mammals who live in limited ranges and have long birth spans, such as the great apes, are not going to survive in the wild as a species for many more generations. It is pretty much a done deal at this point. Even in places where they are now "protected" in preserves and sanctuaries, and even in places where human hunting has been curtailed (though it still exists most everywhere as to keep them out requires actual human ranger patrols and protection).

The loss of habitat has just gone too far, and the looming problem is genetic diversity. Most of the animals, like the hippos, are effectively in captivity now even in their "ancestral homes". Even where the populations are "safe" (or "safer") for the moment, the populations have been divided into patches of habitat that they cannot naturally emigrate from because of human habitation. This is causing their genetic pools to erode.

So even if we manage to keep these areas protected (which with the constant political unrest in many of these places is a nearly impossible task to begin with), we are just staving off what is going to happen as the genetic diversity is lost and the inbreeding kills them off. That's where the SSP comes in - every birth like this is intricately planned and parents chosen to widen the available genetic pool as much as possible to keep these species alive on Earth. At the least, we will have them still alive, even if they are in captivity - but it also very well could be the key later on to reintroducing (or introducing period) the species to live in the wild again because we have been able to preserve that genetic diversity.

This is already happening with the mountain gorilla, which unfortunately there are none in captivity (they just don't survive) and are going to be lost forever . Twenty or thirty years ago they were down to about 450, but through conservation efforts and protections the population has doubled (last I checked, there are like 845 - almost all of them have names and are tracked). While this is wonderful, we are also finding out that they have become so inbred because of how protection isolates them that they are already seeing the health effects (much more susceptible to disease, among other things). We have lengthened the lifespan of the species, but the permanent damage is already done.

That's why the SSP is working to keep those animals that do have a more robust population from meeting the same eventual fate.

Lirael

So cute! Though I admit I read the title wrong at first and thought 09 hippos had been born.

Kinda surprised people found something to complain about. This hippo is quite well off if it says at wdw: it has a large space to live in, no worries about food, no worries about predators or poachers and medical attention at all time.

DisneyDebRob

My eyes just rolled so far back in my head I was afraid I was going to need medical attention.

You strike me as someone who has good intentions, though though glib nature leads me to believe that you don't actually have a grasp of the facts.

This hippo was born as part of the SSP - Species Survival Plan, an international effort working to preserve the genetic diversity of species. The sad fact is that hippos, and other large mammals who live in limited ranges and have long birth spans, such as the great apes, are not going to survive in the wild as a species for many more generations. It is pretty much a done deal at this point. Even in places where they are now "protected" in preserves and sanctuaries, and even in places where human hunting has been curtailed (though it still exists most everywhere as to keep them out requires actual human ranger patrols and protection).

The loss of habitat has just gone too far, and the looming problem is genetic diversity. Most of the animals, like the hippos, are effectively in captivity now even in their "ancestral homes". Even where the populations are "safe" (or "safer") for the moment, the populations have been divided into patches of habitat that they cannot naturally emigrate from because of human habitation. This is causing their genetic pools to erode.

So even if we manage to keep these areas protected (which with the constant political unrest in many of these places is a nearly impossible task to begin with), we are just staving off what is going to happen as the genetic diversity is lost and the inbreeding kills them off. That's where the SSP comes in - every birth like this is intricately planned and parents chosen to widen the available genetic pool as much as possible to keep these species alive on Earth. At the least, we will have them still alive, even if they are in captivity - but it also very well could be the key later on to reintroducing (or introducing period) the species to live in the wild again because we have been able to preserve that genetic diversity.

This is already happening with the mountain gorilla, which unfortunately there are none in captivity (they just don't survive) and are going to be lost forever . Twenty or thirty years ago they were down to about 450, but through conservation efforts and protections the population has doubled (last I checked, there are like 845 - almost all of them have names and are tracked). While this is wonderful, we are also finding out that they have become so inbred because of how protection isolates them that they are already seeing the health effects (much more susceptible to disease, among other things). We have lengthened the lifespan of the species, but the permanent damage is already done.

That's why the SSP is working to keep those animals that do have a more robust population from meeting the same eventual fate.
Very good post and informative to the people that don’t know or just respond to reason and fact with a rhyme.

Walter Elias Disney

I'm hoping for a baby girl and naming her Hyacinth from Fantasia.

Attachments

• Hippo.png
    Hippo.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 184

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We rode Sunday afternoon. While our guide mentioned the birth, she didn't say if mom and baby were backstage or in the pool. And we didn't see a newborn in the pools.

But we did see the tiger cubs. And baby Stella - thought she'd be a little bigger at 1 year old. :inlove:

Movielover

So happy about this! Not sure why people would be upset with this?? Isn't the breeding a conservation effort?

Yes, but remember people are thick headed and stupid. They think that these animals who are living better than I will ever live in my life are suffering. They think the best way to keep these animals from being killed is to release them into the wild... where they will be killed. :rolleyes:

shipley731

My husband & I did the Savor the Savanna tour Sunday afternoon. Our tour guide talked about the new baby. We saw Mom in the pool & the outline of the baby snuggled up to her side.

AEfx

Great news about the new hippo, hopefully all is well.

With captive hippos, it really is the first 24 hours that are crucial. When they make it past that, his chances are really good. That's why he was out so quickly, whereas other species they don't allow the babies to be in the habitats for some time after birth.

Radeksgrl

Did anyone happen to see the baby hippo this past weekend or today? I was there on Friday (Jan 26) but didn't see the baby. There were hippos out Friday morning, but by mid-afternoon the entire bloat was missing from the left side. Maybe they were finally able to get the baby inside for weight/sex determination? I'd like to try again this week, but only if the baby hippo is back outside.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom