2018 Military Ticket Promotion

WDWBigEd

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The 2018 Military tickets are out. You can purchase these on base or Shades of Green with an Active Duty or Career Retired (20+ years)

Promotional Period January 1, 2018 through December 19, 2018

4-Day Military Promotional Park Hopper - $226.00
4-Day Military Promotional Park Hopper Plus -$266.00
5-Day Military Promotional Park Hopper - $246.00
5-Day Military Promotional Park Hopper Plus -$286.00

The Eligible Service Member or their spouse must present valid military identification to purchase and use the 4 or 5 Day Military Promotional Tickets. No more than six (6) 4 or 5 Day Military Promotional Tickets may be purchased by an Eligible Service Member or spouse (regardless of the place of purchase and whether purchased by that person or that person’s spouse) during the promotional period. In addition, one of the six (6) tickets must be used by the Eligible Service Member or his/her spouse. All entitlements will expire and may not be used after December 19,2018.

stretchsje

These are actually pretty big year-over-year price increases. I just got my 2017 5-day hopper solute tickets for $222 each, or $24 less each. Still a decent value, but less so.

John park hopper

Agreed. Does anyone have insight into why Disney does not offer this same special to non-career veterans? I know they do offer a reduced special sometimes, but why just active and retired for this, and also to use Shades of Green?
My only guess is there are to many of us and they would loose money? I too wish someone could explain the logic we all served be it combat, combat support or keeping the peace. The months of Sep and Jan we can go to SOG, however regardless of our discharge rank we are placed in Catagory 2 (I stand corrected Cat 3 rate- highest rate). I believe the rates range ~$150-$325 depending on room. Would you save much--- I don't know

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Agreed. Does anyone have insight into why Disney does not offer this same special to non-career veterans? I know they do offer a reduced special sometimes, but why just active and retired for this, and also to use Shades of Green?

I can answer the Shades of Green portion. Its not owned by Disney, its the US Department of Defense as a Armed Forces Recreation Center. It runs by DoD rules.

There are two time periods (usually January and September) where honorably discharged veterans can stay at SoG but at their most expensive rate but can use all facilities with the exception of buying Alcohol or Tobacco at the AAFES shopette (tax free)

John park hopper

I can answer the Shades of Green portion. Its not owned by Disney, its the US Department of Defense as a Armed Forces Recreation Center. It runs by DoD rules.

There are two time periods (usually January and September) where honorably discharged veterans can stay at SoG but at their most expensive rate but can use all facilities with the exception of buying Alcohol or Tobacco at the AAFES shopette (tax free)
That explains it--- DoD rules--- say no more

Cousin Huet

The usage by non-career vets or active personnel is like my other military benefits. You do have access to it while serving and once you get out that goes away unless you retired at 20+ (or under a program that allowed early retirement).

I checked into it and those that didn't serve a full career would still be eligible if they have the DAVPRM ID card for disabled vets. It is something that a permanently disabled veteran can get. They would also be eligible for he discussed entitlements.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
These are actually pretty big year-over-year price increases. I just got my 2017 5-day hopper solute tickets for $222 each, or $24 less each. Still a decent value, but less so.
Still, those prices are a good 50% discount from full-price 5-day park hoppers, so, once again, Disney, THANK YOU for this great benefit for active and retired members of the military!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
My only guess is there are to many of us and they would loose money? I too wish someone could explain the logic we all served be it combat, combat support or keeping the peace. The months of Sep and Jan we can go to SOG, however regardless of our discharge rank we are placed in Catagory 2. I believe the rates range ~$150-$325 depending on room. Would you save much--- I don't know
The rooms are as large as a Deluxe resort, so for the square footage, it's a good deal. You can spend less going to a Value, and sometimes a Moderate... but as far as value goes, there's more room for the money at SoG.

John park hopper

That makes sense for Shades of Green, since the DoD runs it. Much like no longer having access to base facilities, PX, etc.

But, it does not explain why Disney would not offer the same ticket discounts to career and non-career veterans. I get lots of other veteran discounts with just six years of service...
I agree. IMO Disney could certainly offer the same park discounts if they truly wanted to recognize all who served; many who served in Vietnam, Iraq, Kuwait, Afganistan etc. and did not make a career of it. It is what it is

Cousin Huet

I just feel like they have to make a distinction somewhere and it seems like a logical place to make it since that is where most companies make a distinction. You get the benefits throughout life if you spend a career there (20years) or you get the benefits for the time that you do serve if you choose to get out. You serve as a firefighter for 20 years you get a pension......you don't, you get paid for your time you are there and told thank you as you leave. I don't see the confusion or controversy here. It's quite the benefit whether it is for the time you serve or for life if you do your 20yrs.

Thank you Disney as the benefit is above and beyond.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My only guess is there are to many of us and they would loose money? I too wish someone could explain the logic we all served be it combat, combat support or keeping the peace. The months of Sep and Jan we can go to SOG, however regardless of our discharge rank we are placed in Catagory 2. I believe the rates range ~$150-$325 depending on room. Would you save much--- I don't know
Your info is a bit off.
salute.png

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I agree. IMO Disney could certainly offer the same park discounts if they truly wanted to recognize all who served; many who served in Vietnam, Iraq, Kuwait, Afganistan etc. and did not make a career of it. It is what it is

It's all voluntary, you makes your choice, you takes your chances. I only did 22 and am working on my next retirement and may well do another after that. Civilian life is a walk in the park in comparison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom