Ft.wilderness closure

Disone

I'm surprised so many people think it will not be closing at some point sooner rather than later. It seems like such prime property for DVC redevelopment, with the boat to MK already in place

DVC Resorts may be very lucrative but Fort Wilderness is literally selling 30 x 30 foot pads of dirt. Seriously. Dirt to pitch own tent on... dirt to park your own camper on... Just dirt! Maybe one day they will make the Wilderness homes a DVC feature but they will always have the campground.

HoraceHorizons

One of the click-bait sites that posts Disney 'news' showed up on my FB feed tonight saying that the campgrounds are permanently closing due to the $1m+ damage.. the article was 1 sentence long and said 'stay tuned for more info'.. and there are no sources cited.. there couldn't be any truth to that, could there be?

I spoke to a CM at the resort this morning and was told directly not to listen to this rumor. I asked whether they'd advise me to change my resort now or wait, I explained that I cant reschedule and would rather reschedule than stay at a limited FW with no recreation or amenities. She still advised me to wait it out. The going phrase was they WILL take care of everyone should it not be open by my stay.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We were supposed to check in to the campsites on Sunday the 17th, but I received an email Tuesday to call for alternate lodging. When I called, the persion I spoke to said there was no alternate lodging available and that I had to cancel my reservation because they did not know when it would reopen. When I asked if I could wait she actually told me that if I didn't cancel right then, that I would have to pay a cancelation fee as Tuesday was allegedly the last day to cancel without penalty. I told her that did not make sense because the campsite was currently closed anyway. I asked to speak to someone else and waited on hold for about an hour and fifteen minutes. I eventually gave up and called right back and spoke to someone else. He said that they were planning on opening up Monday the 18th and adjusted my reservation so I could check in a day later than originally planned. Hopefully when I show up Monday, they are up and running again. If not, I'm not sure what we'll do after driving 8 hours down there Sunday night (planning on getting there early enough Monday to use my fast pass for Avatar).

Ah The MAGICal Disney ATTITUDE i've gotten so many times in the past 3 years and the Marathon weekend version is why im not returning anytime soon.

Glad that Disney fixed your issue in a satisfactory manner

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is it really possible there are no rooms? Something like 31,000 on site hotel rooms, all full in mid-September?

The yield management system looked at original reservation compared with available inventory onsite and said no best decision for yield is to force a cancellation as available rooms could be rented more profitably

Driver

DVC Resorts may be very lucrative but Fort Wilderness is literally selling 30 x 30 foot pads of dirt. Seriously. Dirt to pitch own tent on... dirt to park your own camper on... Just dirt! Maybe one day they will make the Wilderness homes a DVC feature but they will always have the campground.
And depending on which site your on it can be over a hundred dollars a night. That's a lot of money considering you bring your own accommodations.

Monorail_Orange

I believe that Ft. Wilderness' existence is quite safe for the forseeable future. As others have mentioned, the revenue of the campsites and RV pads, versus the costs to maintain them and provide the amenities have got to be favorable compared to the same revenue/cost for their hotel rooms. Furthermore, the Ft. seems to have a very good occupancy rate for those campsites and pads. I understand the cabins may be a different situation, but they could easily be converted to more campsites/pads if they were to become unprofitable.

I don't buy into the notion that DVC would replace the Ft. at all. There is a lot of infrastructure for full hook-up RV pads (the majority of the campground are these) - for each pad, you have electrical, water, sewerage, TV, and HSIA/phone. All that would have to be removed. Also, the sheer physical size of the Ft. indicates that DVC would not just "take over." These things having been said, I could see the potential for WDW to eventually redevelop the River Country area to construct a DVC component that could either be linked to the lodge or the Ft., much like the Treehouse Villas are linked to Saratoga Springs.

Disone

The yield management system looked at original reservation compared with available inventory onsite and said no best decision for yield is to force a cancellation as available rooms could be rented more profitably
Wow. The current room availability at Walt Disney World is not sold out. This even factors taking rooms that had to be removed from the inventory temporarily because of irma.

Driver

It also includes all the perks of staying on property.
Yes it included the perks but you can get All Star Resort rooms as low as $150 at times. My point is for close to the same money you can get a room that THEY provide and THEY have to clean and maintain. I have stayed at Wilderness many times my DW and I are full time RV'rs and I have stayed at other great campgrounds for less than $50 a night let alone $100 ++.

Driver

I believe that Ft. Wilderness' existence is quite safe for the forseeable future. As others have mentioned, the revenue of the campsites and RV pads, versus the costs to maintain them and provide the amenities have got to be favorable compared to the same revenue/cost for their hotel rooms. Furthermore, the Ft. seems to have a very good occupancy rate for those campsites and pads. I understand the cabins may be a different situation, but they could easily be converted to more campsites/pads if they were to become unprofitable.

I don't buy into the notion that DVC would replace the Ft. at all. There is a lot of infrastructure for full hook-up RV pads (the majority of the campground are these) - for each pad, you have electrical, water, sewerage, TV, and HSIA/phone. All that would have to be removed. Also, the sheer physical size of the Ft. indicates that DVC would not just "take over." These things having been said, I could see the potential for WDW to eventually redevelop the River Country area to construct a DVC component that could either be linked to the lodge or the Ft., much like the Treehouse Villas are linked to Saratoga Springs.
Actually a part of River Country is already gone to the new cabins they put up at Wilderness Lodge.

Driver

Wasn't trying to be rude, sorry. The cabins are not in the same area as River Country.
Maybe I should leave this forum I joined to share the common interest in the parks and it seems like every time I share some info I get slammed. I think my problem is I try to give a heads up and someone who lives 1000 mi. away is an expert. Very irritating, I don't make this stuff up I see it everyday. They have forums for CM's I'll stay there .

peter11435

Maybe I should leave this forum I joined to share the common interest in the parks and it seems like every time I share some info I get slammed. I think my problem is I try to give a heads up and someone who lives 1000 mi. away is an expert. Very irritating, I don't make this stuff up I see it everyday. They have forums for CM's I'll stay there .
I wasn't slamming you just correcting some misinformation. Again not trying to be rude just trying to keep information here accurate.

I don't live 1000 miles away.

The current cabins are not in the former river country area. They obviously could expand them but would need to more than double their length down the eastern side to reach the river county site.

Cosmic Commando

These photos haven't been updated to show the completed cabins, but you can see the land clearing; there is quite a bit of distance between River Country and any part of Wilderness Lodge.

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=28.408426&lon=-81.568294&z=16&m=b

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom