Operating hours reduced for A Pirate's Adventure Treasures of the Seven Seas

TheGhostWithTheMost

This is only so they can cut down cast numbers. Working this attraction is shared with working POTC the ride. Less cast at pirates for the ride, less cost to operate the area. And we all know Disney is hurting for money right now (eye roll).

dreamfinder

It is a shame that they never continued to expand sorcerers. I never cared for the thing but it seemed well done. I never could figure out whether the game was another extended proof of concept or if they actually expected to make money selling those card packs. To be honest, I never really figured out how the game was supposed to be played. It seemed like I would win every encounter no matter which card I played.

In Easy, you would win using any card. Medium and Hard did involve some strategy. Using cards together would change the attack, using a card again would make it stronger, using it too soon again made it weaker, some cards reportedly worked better against certain villains etc. So there was strategy at the harder levels. But I don't think they ever actually explained the strategy, and it's kinda involved/time intensive for anyone to figure it out on their own. So does playing a card with a higher Shield value work better, or one that had a different type of Shield (Flying, Strong, etc). Well, did you just get lucky using that higher shield card, or did you actually find a good combo? When it takes 15-30 mins to cycle through a boss, getting it to the point where you could do a reset and try data again to try to eliminate variables just takes too long. I did see some guests with notebooks trying different strategies, but never found anyone who had a real solid verifiable strategy.

They never really fully took advantage of this. The cards were never expanded past the initial 70, other than a handful of party exclusive cards, and the at home version was pointless. Release a new movie? Create 15-20 cards related to that movie, and sell it for $15-20 bucks. Take advantage of those stats on the cards and flesh out a solid set of rules to play at home. Doing those could have easily helped give it legs and even turn a solid profit. As it stands now most casual guests will get the cards once and maybe beat 1 or 2 bosses. Any locals or devotees already have all the cards and got tired of waiting for something new.

rreading

I'll second this that this game is really really well done and worth the time, at least once. My 8yo boy loves the pirate treasure map game. I'll say that I've thought it was great at first; now that we've done each map ~4-5 times, some of its appeal has worn off; but the FP for pirates is a welcome reward and worth the time spent.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

In Easy, you would win using any card. Medium and Hard did involve some strategy. Using cards together would change the attack, using a card again would make it stronger, using it too soon again made it weaker, some cards reportedly worked better against certain villains etc. So there was strategy at the harder levels. But I don't think they ever actually explained the strategy, and it's kinda involved/time intensive for anyone to figure it out on their own. So does playing a card with a higher Shield value work better, or one that had a different type of Shield (Flying, Strong, etc). Well, did you just get lucky using that higher shield card, or did you actually find a good combo? When it takes 15-30 mins to cycle through a boss, getting it to the point where you could do a reset and try data again to try to eliminate variables just takes too long. I did see some guests with notebooks trying different strategies, but never found anyone who had a real solid verifiable strategy.

Thanks for explaining this. so it' snot just that I missed the explanation of how the rules worked - it's just there isn't an explanation of how the rules work. :) that's too bad - they could have done some cool things with this.

JoeCamel

They never really fully took advantage of this. The cards were never expanded past the initial 70, other than a handful of party exclusive cards, and the at home version was pointless. Release a new movie? Create 15-20 cards related to that movie, and sell it for $15-20 bucks. Take advantage of those stats on the cards and flesh out a solid set of rules to play at home. Doing those could have easily helped give it legs and even turn a solid profit. As it stands now most casual guests will get the cards once and maybe beat 1 or 2 bosses. Any locals or devotees already have all the cards and got tired of waiting for something new.
The reason it was never expanded is the person ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Ackley) responsible for developing it was moved up to another position and no money was ever allocated to further development. It has been maintenance only since the expansion packs were released with only the party cards getting any further effects. I think a lot of the reason they did it in the first place was to prove how integrating screens with physical surroundings could be done.

Last edited:

Sonic Sunglasses

Not that it matters, but how long does one adventure usually take? Just asking out of pure curiosity.

It can be as succinct as 5 minutes on some maps, even with an 8yo; others could take 20-25min the first time through. It's really creative how it's done and really worth trying!

Those are the times we experienced as well. Crowd levels will skew things, of course.

dreamfinder

Seems to be a lot of cutting back at Disney. Cutting hours limiting extended hours esp at MK. Disney needs to show the patrons they value our support.

Thank Wall St. Next time you hear a new story about record gains, it's due to cost cutting all over the place to make the numbers look better for Wall St. WDW isn't hitting numbers for whatever reason, so mgmt gets told to trim by a few % to hit those forecasts. Customer experience be darned, when Iger was told that the parks would show revenue of X, and they are a few million short, pull stuff back FYE to make your numbers.

doctornick

Haven't played this myself, but as long as you sign up before it closes, couldn't you still play into the evening? I would guess you won't get the FP+ for completing it, but you can still play right?

Michaelson

Gotta say, this one bothered me enough that I actually wrote to Disney and complained. They sent back a friendly but standard reply that they were looking at things and should this change, they would let me know. Even if they'd just shift the hours to something like 2 to 9, it would be good, as this is SO much more fun after it gets dark. I mean, what self respecting Spanish ghost is going to shoot a cannon from the Spanish fort in broad daylight?!! The effects are SO much more effective and mysterious after dark, so this shut down at 6 is ludicrous!

tissandtully

FWIW, there are still demands for the cards, I have sold quite a few on eBay, and especially the exclusive party cards, I'm able to sell them for $25-35 each. To be clear, I didn't get them with intent to sell, but we don't really play it, so I figured might as well see if someone else wants them.

Sonic Sunglasses

Haven't played this myself, but as long as you sign up before it closes, couldn't you still play into the evening? I would guess you won't get the FP+ for completing it, but you can still play right?
Excellent question. I can see them closing up the treasure map shack, but not shutting down the game mechanics as a whole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom