Disney sues over property assessments for Magic Kingdom, other properties

Rumrunner

According to the Orlando Sentinel today, Disney is suing the Orange County real estate assessor and others (including Reedy Creek Development District, in which it normally has a controlling interest) over their valuation of several parts of WDW, including the Magic Kingdom, which they value at $437 million. (They value Epcot at $446 million and DHS at $339 million, with Animal Kingdom Lodge at $153 million and Caribbean Beach Resort at $209 million.)

Here is the link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-disney-assessments-20170613-story.html

Disney calls the assessed values "excessive." OK, I had to laugh.

To be fair, it is worth noting that the article says that Universal, Sea World, and others have also complained about their assessment, too; but I have to laugh when the Walt Disney Company actually complains that the Magic Kingdom is priced too high!

My favorite is this quote from the Disney spokesperson: "The increases in the assessments of our property are unreasonable and unjustified."

How funny is that? I think I am going to say that when they raise gate prices again. And I can show them proof that they have said the same thing! :p

And to be honest I work in local property tax assessments, where I hear people complain about their assessments daily -- but with the constant increase in Disney prices well over and above the cost of inflation, even the Disney fan in me has to laugh at the irony of Disney saying the assessed value of their park is excessive.

Rumrunner

According to the Orlando Sentinel today, Disney is suing the Orange County real estate assessor and others (including Reedy Creek Development District, in which it normally has a controlling interest) over their valuation of several parts of WDW, including the Magic Kingdom, which they value at $437 million. (They value Epcot at $446 million and DHS at $339 million, with Animal Kingdom Lodge at $153 million and Caribbean Beach Resort at $209 million.)

Here is the link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-disney-assessments-20170613-story.html

To be fair, it is worth noting that the article says that Universal, Sea World, and others have also complained about their assessment, too; but I have to laugh when the Walt Disney Company actually complains that the Magic Kingdom is priced too high!

My favorite is this quote from the Disney spokesperson: "The increases in the assessments of our property are unreasonable and unjustified."

How funny is that? I think I am going to say that when they raise gate prices again. And I can show them proof that they have said the same thing! :p

And to be honest I work in local property tax assessments, where I hear people complain about their assessments daily -- but with the constant increase in Disney prices well over and above the cost of inflation, even the Disney fan in me has to laugh at the irony of Disney saying the assessed value of their park is excessive.

Unfortunately if the county raises taxes the businesses just pass them on to the consumers. With all of the revenue Disney and others theme parks generate I would think the county would appreciate such cash cows. None of us use much of county services while visiting and none of us use the school systems, etc.
Sounds like the govt has become rather greedy and the patrons will have to pay.

Rumrunner

Well someone has to pay for the social services the vastly underpaid Disney CM's need to utilize in lieu of Wages.

Ive always felt that corporations should be subject to a surtax if more than 20 % of their workforce was eligible for welfare benefits.

For companies like Disney and WalMart having government subsidize employment costs is part of their business model
I would think most of the CM at Disney are college kids or young adults trying to gain experience. If an adult is working for meager wages at Disney and attempting to support a family I would say that is their problem. That is not the purpose of entry level jobs. Probably many Disney jobs are entry level jobs with the hopes of improving job skills and moving up the economic ladder thru experience and expertise and I suspect many people have moved up the ladder at Disney.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would think most of the CM at Disney are college kids or young adults trying to gain experience. If an adult is working for meager wages at Disney and attempting to support a family I would say that is their problem. That is not the purpose of entry level jobs. Probably many Disney jobs are entry level jobs with the hopes of improving job skills and moving up the economic ladder thru experience and expertise and I suspect many people have moved up the ladder at Disney.

Google the term 'Igervilles' - and draw you own conclusions as to Disney's business model

jakeman

upload_2017-6-27_16-58-21.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom