PHOTOS - The Market at Ale and Compass now open at Disney's Yacht Club Resort

NeedMoreMickey

Has anyone seen the plans yet for the refurb on the restaurant? The way this market looks makes me think it isn't permanent or maybe that's wishful thinking. Does this mean the items from the store are completely gone now?

ToTBellHop

Has anyone seen the plans yet for the refurb on the restaurant? The way this market looks makes me think it isn't permanent or maybe that's wishful thinking. Does this mean the items from the store are completely gone now?
The mercy is currently in the lobby and will move back to the gift shop in July. I would imagine they are changing its name.

LAM378

I just took a walk down there for coffee. It looks and feels very incomplete. Lots of blank white walls with no decorative or architectural detail whatsoever. They have to be adding artwork or something at a later date. HAVE TO.

When you first walk in, you see a table full of Disney kitchenware smack in the middle of a very empty space. I attached a picture. I refuse to believe that one table of mugs and dish towels is the final plan. I'm assuming they'll add more merchandise in the future because it actually looks ridiculous. Also, that area is very poorly lit.

FWIW, I hate the lighting throughout, but it's the new bulbs they're putting in everywhere that come off as fluorescent. Same deal in my Poly and BC rooms this week--the lighting is so cold and sterile.

The food offerings look pretty decent and are different from what BC Marketplace offers, with some slightly elevated, healthier choices. No racks of Mickey rice krispy treats or Goofy rock candy. Only one coffee machine from what I noticed. No burnt food smell, but I don't notice that at BC.

Love the Freestyle machines, and I pray they add them at BC (where they currently have only one working ice maker and half the sodas are out of order).

Overall, I'm glad it's there, because Yacht Club sorely needed a QS. I wish it was more of a real grill like the monorail resorts have. I really do think they'll add more decorative touches, but not much--this is the "new nautical" that others have mentioned, and it doesn't gel with the warmth and richness of the YC lobby (which I hope they never change).

Attachments

• IMG_5702.JPG
    IMG_5702.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 178

iubigman

As someone who stayed at the Yacht Club last summer, and who has a family that likes to eat small and fast breakfasts EARLY, before heading to the Parks EARLY, this would have been a god-send, and I couldn't have cared less about the decor. On at least 5 of our 7 mornings, I trekked all the way over to Beach Club Marketplace to grab cereal/muffins and milk. It's far man, especially before coffee.

Bocabear

I think there is a real need for this...When we stayed at the boardwalk it was the same...there is a need for a quick service place, and the Bakery was never quick... The problem I have with it is the way it was implemented. It lookd cherap. It is trying too hard to be trendy modern/nautical and comes off as sterile and incomplete. The lighting is part of the problem...they can buy LED bulbs that have a warmer hue of light and would look less antiseptic. This space should look like an extension of the lobby...a grand old Yacht club...and it doesn't at all. There were compasrisons made to the Boathouse at Disney Springs, but The Boathouse has more charm in their restrooms than this space has in it's entirety. This is a premium resort... They need to hire new designers to get them off the "Marriott Hotel" model.

LAM378

I went in there a few times and walked past it dozens of times last week, and it was never very crowded at all. Nothing like the Beach Club Marketplace, even at meal times. I'm not sure why they hurried to open it without completing it. Makes me think they really don't have any further decoration planned, aside from the merchandise being moved in.

Bocabear

I went in there a few times and walked past it dozens of times last week, and it was never very crowded at all. Nothing like the Beach Club Marketplace, even at meal times. I'm not sure why they hurried to open it without completing it. Makes me think they really don't have any further decoration planned, aside from the merchandise being moved in.
Exactly... If there was more decor planned it would have happened aside from more merchandising.
It looks really dreadful... and it could have been very charming... At a premium resort like this, guests deserve premium themed spaces....and this is not one of them. I think "Serviceable" is about the best you can say...

hpyhnt 1000

Really? When has Disney ever opened a business and then decorated later?

I feel this happens rather frequently with the shops and restaurants, and even in rides I imagine. Just a few examples:

Back in 2011, the scrims/walls came down from the Main Street Confectionery after major work was complete. Additional theming (awnings, signage, etc.) was added in the following weeks.
Main-Street-Confectionary_Full_13801.jpg

main-street-confectionery-00.jpg

Frontera Cucina at Disney Springs had decor added, notably a large mosaic:

Before:
Frontera-Fresco_Full_28277.jpg

After:
photo3jpg.jpg

(via TripAdvisor page)

And Skipper Canteen is a great example of more things added after the initial opening:

Before:
Skipper-Canteen_Full_26273.jpg

(note the rather blank walls around the Jungle Cruise banner)
Skipper-Canteen_Full_26257.jpg

After:
img_5107.jpg

(note the filled wall around the Jungle Cruise banner)
img_5082.jpg

https://letsplanwdw.com/2016/07/19/dining-review-jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen/

Edit to add: Even the speakers up around the ceiling of Skipper Canteen had decorative cases installed.

So I'm not too concerned about the bland appearance of Ale and Compass right now. If it's still that way 3-4 months from now, then I'll be happy to complain with pitchfork in hand. ;)

Last edited:

peter11435

I think they wanted to have it open before Captains grill begins its refurb.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Most projects these days have things unfinished when they first open. This project isn't even fully finished yet as over half the space is still behind construction walls.
But if we wait until everything is completed, we won't have much to complain about until then. I mean, we have to complain about everything nowadays, don't we, even if it's not finished?

peter11435

Perhaps you are right...I never really saw them do somethig so pointedly stripped down, and then go back and finish it off...
Hoping you are right!!
While still in need of some help several props and design elements have been added to the food court at POFQ since it initially opened. Even Frozen Ever After has seen things added since opening. The banners at the entrance, artwork in the exit hallway, and the fountain at the skating olaf scene for example.

LAM378

I think they wanted to have it open before Captains grill begins its refurb.

Oh, that makes sense. I was surprised Captain's Grille was still open. They hadn't been taking ADRs for May.

I hope this all means we'll see a little more decor in the Marketplace eventually. Even then, it's jarringly different from the lobby. I wish they'd gone for a richer nautical look like the rest of the resort. I really wonder what they have in store for CG.

Bocabear

But if we wait until everything is completed, we won't have much to complain about until then. I mean, we have to complain about everything nowadays, don't we, even if it's not finished?
There is usually plenty to complain about even when they are finished...These days anyway

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom