Annual Pass Previews of Pandora - The World of Avatar beginning May 13

Dizney Crew

Just got back from our Preview, so my thoughts on the land. You do get that "WOW" factor when walking in for the 1st time and seeing the floating mountains, the forced perspective works really well I think throughout the land IMO. First we rode the NRJ, ZERO min wait as others have said. My thoughts on the queue were OK, there is a STRONG plant odor going through the walkway, it was OK walking through but being stuck with that smell for a while I think might make some a little sick, once you get to where the the throwbacks start in the queue you get that strong sense of wicker/basket smell, how long that last will be interesting as everything is so new still. The ride itself I thought was decent, it was actually a little darker then I thought it would be on the inside. The screens work pretty good all the screens have depth. The AA looks good, but I actually thought the Elsa AA in Frozen looked better with her movement. We actually rode this ride 3 times throughout our visit. We had two 4 yr olds with us and this was all they really could do, and they both loved the ride. So I guess thats a good sign the kids liked it. The ride seemed longer then what the ride time is, didn't really feel short to me, which I was surprised by. A 20 min wait is really all this ride is worth, anything more then that and I see lots of people being disappointed.

Next we rode FOP, once again a ZERO min wait, the sign said 15 min, but I think thats just how long it takes to walk the queue. Queue was cool for a Queue line, I didn't really think it was this show stopper must see attraction in itself like others have made it out to be. The ride was a lot better then I thought. I would still call it Soarin 2.0, but its still a fun ride. We rode this twice and had different views both times sat on the 3rd level left side the first time. And the 2nd level right side the 2nd ride. I was surprised that the different viewing angles actually made the ride seem different, since its only 1 giant screen your looking at you can't take it all in from the sides in that you see different things, which I thought was cool. The drops felt pretty real to all of us and the spray is a cool effect. I couldn't really feel the Banshee breath either ride, at least not to the extent I was expecting. On a scale of 1-10, I would give this ride a solid 7. Its good, but no way would I ever wait for more then an hour for this, and I have a feeling this ride is going to always be in the 3 to maybe 4 range for the first few months.

We tried one of the frozen drinks from Pongo Pongo, the purple one with bobble balls (non alcoholic), Night something or other I think was the name, but it was really good. Then we went over to the Satui restaurant. We tried the bowl, cheeseburger pods and the kids hotdog wrap along with the Sunrise drink? (it was garnished with pineapple) All in all the food was good, I would prob get the bowls, seemed to be more filling. I would also rather have fries with the burger pods instead of the chips they give you, honestly the chips weren't that great, prob the only thing we didn't care for.

We walked around the gift shop, pretty cool stuff, only bought a magnet as everything else seemed nice but nothing I absolutely had to have, atleast not right now. Other notes on the land, it did seem kind of small after walking through it a few times. The kids liked the drums and rocks that made sounds. It was great being able to experience the land with such small crowds, when it opens to the public I could see this place being real cramped real fast, its not that wide open. I was expecting it to feel a little more open.

We spent about 3 hours in the land which was plenty of time to see everything, the cast members were really nice and very talkative about the land, which was cool and shows you they all were trained pretty well. I couldn't tell if the CM were in character as in talking like they really were on a different planet. Example: On FOP the CM were asking if we had ever rode a Banshee before and how was our visit on Pandora? I just answered like a regular guest in answering like "I've never rode the ride, if thats what your asking?" But its cool if they stay that focused and stay in there role, but I think this might throw people off a little.

Can't wait to see the land at night, but thats all I see us doing here over the course of the next year, as I'm sure the rides will have insane wait times. It's a solid land and little better then what my expectations were for it. Whether or not this is something that after the newness wears off will still be a must see is debatable.

Texas84

My preview was 12-2 Sunday. I got there at 11 and the line was already moving in. They were only scanning one MB per group. Didn't impact me but I thought they did say in the early e-mail everyone had to be an AP. I rode FoP four times and NRJ three times with minimal wait. They can put a LOT of people in the FoP queue. Noticed more detail each ride on both rides. Can't wait to see this at night. I didn't leave until 4:30. This visit paid for my AP. Had the pods for lunch and a bowl for dinner including a green ale and a margarita. The 'rita is highly recommended. The banshee area in the store was busy.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The press get these...too bad none of us did. :(

IMG_4483.jpg
MagicBand_180x328_AvatarPress_B2_27804.png

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah that would have been cool if we could have gotten one of those.

Yeah. If APs could purchase the t-shirts, lanyard and pin, why not throw in a MB too? Perhaps once Pandora opens Saturday, a limited edition MB like this one will go on sale. After all, there were 3 MBs for the live action Beauty & the Beast and I've lost count of the # for Star Wars. Surely Disney wouldn't pass up on an opportunity like this....

Kman101

"The Press" ... lol

But that is a nice band. Would have been nice to be given a band, or they could have mailed it to those that signed up for the preview or offered it for purchase (which I guess they very well could). At least they didn't charge us for entry like they want you to pay to see Guardians Mission Cashgrab at DCA with no previews for anyone.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yeah. If APs could purchase the t-shirts, lanyard and pin, why not throw in a MB too? Perhaps once Pandora opens Saturday, a limited edition MB like this one will go on sale. After all, there were 3 MBs for the live action Beauty & the Beast and I've lost count of the # for Star Wars. Surely Disney wouldn't pass up on an opportunity like this....

The shirts were so ugly, and very overpriced. The pin was neat, but I don't remember seeing the lanyard. Anyone have a pic?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Agree. The only thing I liked was the ACE shirt. I like the small front logo / art on the back style. The passholder shirt was meh and the fit was bad. I only got it for the date. But Pandora themed plastic bags! :D

I hear that. I wasn't going to pay $30 for a crappy passholder t-shirt when a banshee puppet was only $20 more.

Kman101

Forgot to add this in my initial post from my preview but I have to say the staff at the Canteen were great, at least for the passholder previews (and lack of crowds helped), a worker cleaning up outside offered to get my silverware for me (none were outside yet and I didn't realize this) and brought back tons of napkins, salt and pepper, ketchup and even brought me ice water. And it was so nice to use real plates and silverware. And when I was done my tray was taken for me. I was really impressed by it. I don't know that I see it continuing when it's packed to the gils with guests but we'll see. It was great service.

tribbleorlfl

And when I was done my tray was taken for me. I was really impressed by it. I don't know that I see it continuing when it's packed to the gils with guests but we'll see. It was great service.
Actually, I expect the table cleaning to continue. It acts as a psychological end to the meal and will encourage guests to leave quickly and not malinger. With the ability to schedule and pre-pay for your meals, it will be vital to have quick and efficient table turnover so there are places to sit for the whole scheme to work.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, I expect the table cleaning to continue. It acts as a psychological end to the meal and will encourage guests to leave quickly and not malinger. With the ability to schedule and pre-pay for your meals, it will be vital to have quick and efficient table turnover so there are places to sit for the whole scheme to work.

Just like the Lido deck cafeteria on cruise ships!

LAKid53

Premium Member
When we did our preview, the only Passholder merch I saw was the pin. Would love to see a pic of the shirt, as well. Are they still available?

I noticed the grey unisex t-shirt on the online store, but not the blue women's version.

It's a rather generic t-shirt....

20170524_112234.png

LAKid53

Premium Member
Those designs looks very similar to Toruk's (Cirque Du Soleil).

I wonder if they rehused the creature print.

speaking of Pandora.. any recommendations of food?

The various protein (beef, chicken, fish and tofu) bowls were very good. For disclosure, I had the grilled steak, but bowls with the chicken I observed both looked and smelled good. The non alcoholic beverage (Night Blossom) was fantastic, although the little juice balls get stuck in the straw. I was hesitant about the "spring" roll made with cream cheese and pineapple, but it was actually quite tasty. Didn't have any of the desserts, but reviews I've read rave about the cheesecake. The cafe setup is nice, with plenty of room both inside and outdoors. All in all, the food is very good.

Kman101

I found the straws to be large enough that they made it through, I figured that was the point of the large straws? Have they gone to smaller straws? They were larger than the usual AK paper ones.

The bowl of beef was pretty tasty, and there was a pretty big portion of it. I'd probably go with the chicken next time. The cheeseburger pods seemed light on the cheese part but had a tasty flavor. I'm not 100% on them but they're decent.

The melon flavored drink they sell inside Canteen was good as was the Night Blossom from Pangu (Pongu?) ... the red frozen margarita looked tasty but I passed on that this time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom