Christmas Day religious services at Walt Disney World

JohnD

I'm a pastor in Colorado and a Disney fan. Anyone know who they select to officiate these services?

I don't know with certainty but I do know a CM in hospitality services who is an ordained Anglican priest. (He used to serve as an assisting priest at a church in my hometown, is close to the clergy in my church, and is clergy in my Anglican diocese. He now works as a CM in Disney and is known in my diocese as a "bi-vocational priest.") He'd clearly qualify to officiate at the protestant service and, being "Catholic-lite", would know enough to assist at the Catholic services if needed.

Last edited:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
No idea about the Potestant service, but I belive the Catholic Mass is said by one of the priests from the Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine just outside of property. If I remember correctly Disney use to have them say Mass more offten then just on Christmas and Easter. I am assuming between priest shortages and a disagreement on who should be footing the bill for these services, as well attendance normal services throught out the year no longer take place.

Ben E

Good info, I had a feeling the Catholic priest would likely come from the nearby parish (my favorite name for a Catholic church by the way!) but here's what I really want to know...how do I get the opportunity to officiate a service? :D

Lets Respect

No idea about the Potestant service, but I belive the Catholic Mass is said by one of the priests from the Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine just outside of property. If I remember correctly Disney use to have them say Mass more offten then just on Christmas and Easter. I am assuming between priest shortages and a disagreement on who should be footing the bill for these services, as well attendance normal services throught out the year no longer take place.

No, they changed it because they built Mary Queen of the Universe, which was eventually named a basilica.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
No, they changed it because they built Mary Queen of the Universe, which was eventually named a basilica.

Well you learn something new every day. I tried to find a reason for the move off property and never could. Just assumed the Disney did not want to keep providing space (or they did not want to for free...). Thank you for the info!

JohnD

I don't know with certainty but I do know a CM in hospitality services who is an ordained Anglican priest. (He used to serve as an assisting priest at a church in my hometown, is close to the clergy in my church, and is clergy in my Anglican diocese. He now works as a CM in Disney and is known in my diocese as a "bi-vocational priest.") He'd clearly qualify to officiate at the protestant service and, being "Catholic-lite", would know enough to assist at the Catholic services if needed.

I PMed him. He said that he normally doesn't participate but he does coordinate and supports it for Disney. This year, with Christmas on a Sunday, the Protestant clergy who normally would be available aren't because they have their own church services. So, he'll take a more active role at the 9am service. (He's also interim rector at a nearby church so probably has to head to that church after the 9am service at the Contemporary.)

Lets Respect

Well you learn something new every day. I tried to find a reason for the move off property and never could. Just assumed the Disney did not want to keep providing space (or they did not want to for free...). Thank you for the info!

It's an interesting story for sure. It's not built as a parish church, in other words they don't have religious education there, First Communions, funerals etc. You can't register there in other words. It was built for the tourists. It's a beautiful building and site just to visit if you ever over there, whether Catholic or not.

Ben E

I PMed him. He said that he normally doesn't participate but he does coordinate and supports it for Disney. This year, with Christmas on a Sunday, the Protestant clergy who normally would be available aren't because they have their own church services. So, he'll take a more active role at the 9am service. (He's also interim rector at a nearby church so probably has to head to that church after the 9am service at the Contemporary.)

Let him know I'd love to help in future years if the schedule would allow. Of course I'm in Colorado, but I'd be interested in how it is all coordinated and what Disney does to arrange these services (Christmas and Easter). We're actually not holding Sunday services this week since it falls on Sunday.

JohnD

Let him know I'd love to help in future years if the schedule would allow. Of course I'm in Colorado, but I'd be interested in how it is all coordinated and what Disney does to arrange these services (Christmas and Easter). We're actually not holding Sunday services this week since it falls on Sunday.

I PMed your request. We'll see what he says. Disney may not even allow it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Indeed. The Catholic Church generally wants all services, liturgies, and sacraments celebrated in a church or dedicated worship space rather than a make-shift hall if preventable. Building their own nearby shrine makes it preventable.

In fact, you can't actually get married "in the Catholic Church" (i.e., with a priest or deacon presiding and with permission to be outside a church space) at WDW. The Church insists on a church wedding to highlight the sacredness of the moment, which in their eyes is more than 'magical,' it is 'holy.' Nor does the diocese of Orlando allow marriages at the wedding pavilion or even the shrine. Destination marriages separate the couple from their local Catholic community. Have a reception at WDW? Yes. Get married there? No.

As far as footing the bill... a collection usually takes place...

Last edited:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
As far as footing the bill... a collection usually takes place

Yes I assume one would, however just because there was a collection does not mean it was enough to cover the costs. (Not trying to argue just explain my inital thought process.) Sounds like the diocese of Orlando has a good Bishop. We have one here in Philly 2 no complaints about that ;)

I believe they used to have weekly Mass at the Polynesian.

Yes this is what I have found, I think on old posts here and a few posts on old religion fourms. What I could not find however was when this ended and why, as Lets Respect informed me it was because and when the Basilica opened down the street, which if Wikipedia is to be believed was 1979. So I'm assuming that weekly Mass ended At WDW at this time.

JohnD

It turns out he preached this year.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I believe they used to have weekly Mass at the Polynesian.

Some years ago (I forget when it stopped), they had outdoor Mass at the Polynesian in the outdoor luau area, because it seated many people. I think it was when the Catholic Church built the large Mary Queen of the Universe Cathedral (up on Vineland Avenue in Orlando), that they moved the Masses out of the Polynesian. It's too bad, as the Masses on Disney property were more convenient.

21stamps

Indeed. The Catholic Church generally wants all services, liturgies, and sacraments celebrated in a church or dedicated worship space rather than a make-shift hall if preventable. Building their own nearby shrine makes it preventable.

In fact, you can't actually get married "in the Catholic Church" (i.e., with a priest or deacon presiding and with permission to be outside a church space) at WDW. The Church insists on a church wedding to highlight the sacredness of the moment, which in their eyes is more than 'magical,' it is 'holy.' Nor does the diocese of Orlando allow marriages at the wedding pavilion or even the shrine. Destination marriages separate the couple from their local Catholic community. Have a reception at WDW? Yes. Get married there? No.

As far as footing the bill... a collection usually takes place...
This is true of all Catholic Diocese as far as I've ever known. If you want a Catholic wedding then you must be physically married at a Catholic Church.

epcotWSC

I'm still waiting for Mary Queen of the Universe to get a Traditional Latin Mass... Nearest one to WDW is an hour away, not exactly the type of trip one wants to make while on vacation.

JohnD

This is true of all Catholic Diocese as far as I've ever known. If you want a Catholic wedding then you must be physically married at a Catholic Church.

My Anglican Church is the same way. Weddings in the church to emphasize the holy sacrament. I don't disparage WDW for their offerings. Just saying that, theologically, my church prefers them onsite with the full liturgy to emphasize the holiness of marriage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom