Amorette's Patisserie reducing operating hours from today

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe if they kept plain rice krispy treats in that store they would have a better business. I had to beg for just a plain "create your own" rice krispy treat the other night. GCC nor any of the others have had plain ones the last ten days.

Disone

When Jock's added happy hour, there were posts to the effect that DS was failing. Figured that there would be more of the same here.
Saw those posts but DS is not failing. They are building a third garage. That said it does seem both Amorettes and Jock Lindays are not really enjoying the success of Disney Spring. My guess, The first I suspect is due to price and the second seems to be in the right location but is pushed backed off the main traffic flow with a very small, not very welcoming entrance. The doors are often closed even when Jocks is open.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Saw those posts but DS is not failing. They are building a third garage. That said it does seem both Amorettes and Jock Lindays are not really enjoying the success of Disney Spring. My guess, The first I suspect is due to price and the second seems to be in the right location but is pushed backed off the main traffic flow with a very small, not very welcoming entrance. The doors are often closed even when Jocks is open.
Jocks food selection is limited and sucky. Fix that and i think you fix a big draw back.

RyMickey

I've had two experiences with Amorette's on my current trip -- both have been before 3pm and both times there were people in the store, but not a ton of them. That said, I wasn't blown away by the product. The two cake-based desserts I had were disappointing and dry. The peanut butter-banana mousse was better, but not astounding. I'm not "giving up" on the place as I wouldn't mind trying other non-cake based options. The 20% annual pass discount helps things -- for some reason a dessert a little over $6 sounds better than one that's a little over $8 with tax. (That said, there were certainly more people in Amorette's the the BB Sausage Company which has had zero customers the multiple times I walked by.)

This is also my first experience with Disney Springs in its current (essentially) finished iteration. While I think it looks stunning, as a thirty-six year-old guy, there's not much there shopping-wise for me. (Although I love the cheap Disney shirts in Uniqlo!) Not that I necessarily need there to be, but as I've wandered around multiple nights, I do see many stores empty and am hoping that it at least turns out to be a profitable venture for the companies involved because the last thing we'd want to see would be abandoned storefronts. I do find its many restaurants appealing and think that it will be quite an enjoyable bar-hopping experience when I come down with my brothers in upcoming trips.

freediverdude

I recently visited for the first time since the remodeling of the whole area, and have a few comments. While it does look more modern, and some might say stunning, for the Town Center part, it almost looks too fancy for the Disney World audience. I myself did not go into that many stores, as I pretty much came to the conclusion that most items just by the look of the stores would be way too expensive, and no point in even going in. Also the layout is rather confusing, and I had to finally go to a map and ask a cast member who happened to be stationed there how to find the Blaze pizzeria. I did walk by Amorette's, and there was not a single person in there and decided not to go in. This new area is aimed squarely at the VP level/6 digit income crowd with lots of discretionary income that Disney is now targeting- I guess we'll see if that is successful. I don't think a lot of the average park goer is going to be purchasing much here though. I know I can't afford $150 Tommy Bahama shirts, and I don't think a lot of other people can justify it either.

Jon81uk

I think the number one biggest issue with Amorettes is the lack of seating. If I am staying at a Disney resort I am not going to buy patisserie to take back to the hotel room to eat and I don't think there are enough local people who would buy cakes there to take home. If there was a proper seating area and the desserts were served on china plates then they might do well on people looking for good quality cakes for afternoon tea.

Also we had plenty of snack credits on the DDP so I didn't want to spend cash on an expensive dessert when I could go to Goofy's (or Candy Cauldron) and get something for "free".

Mickey5150

The one this I can say about the audience for Disney Springs is that the 1st bus stop is for Golden Oaks. Your average Disney guest has the Marketplace, the Town Center is geared more towards the locals, which is also why the parking garages empty out on both sides of it, the Landing is for anyone who wants to eat and the West Side is the entertainment district. I stay at All-Stars, visit WDW every year and I wear Tommy Bahama.

Occasional Guest

We drove through Orlando on Fall break and of course stopped to walk around Disney Springs. I thought the newer areas were absolutely stunning visually. While I have no interest in upscale shopping, my first thought was that Disney is trying to cater to the ever increasing foreign guests. Just a humble poor mans opinion though.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They are both equally ridiculous. The difference is Sprinkles has name recognition.

Look I'm not arguing that they are BOTH insanely priced but Sprinkles has many items under $20 bucks, Once you exceed 20 bucks a whole new dynamic takes place, Like it or not DS is not 'The Shops at Caesar's Palace' and neither is the customer base.

nolatron

I recently visited for the first time since the remodeling of the whole area, and have a few comments. While it does look more modern, and some might say stunning, for the Town Center part, it almost looks too fancy for the Disney World audience. I myself did not go into that many stores, as I pretty much came to the conclusion that most items just by the look of the stores would be way too expensive, and no point in even going in. Also the layout is rather confusing, and I had to finally go to a map and ask a cast member who happened to be stationed there how to find the Blaze pizzeria. I did walk by Amorette's, and there was not a single person in there and decided not to go in. This new area is aimed squarely at the VP level/6 digit income crowd with lots of discretionary income that Disney is now targeting- I guess we'll see if that is successful. I don't think a lot of the average park goer is going to be purchasing much here though. I know I can't afford $150 Tommy Bahama shirts, and I don't think a lot of other people can justify it either.

A friend and I were talking last week or so about Disney Springs and we both had the same feeling too. It all looks great and nice and updated, but the stores and restaurants to us seem to.... fancy/upscale for Disney World. Neither of us could see us spending the money that some of these places are asking. It's just something there we feel doesn't match up a Disney enviroment with some of the new shops/eateries.

We know there's the whole "the locals can shop/eat there too" aspect, but do locals really go to Disney Springs for this stuff? To us the idea of going to shop and eat at places that are A) already expensive and B) probably also upcharging since they're in a theme park location versus going someplace local in the city doesn't make sense to us.

MrPromey

A friend and I were talking last week or so about Disney Springs and we both had the same feeling too. It all looks great and nice and updated, but the stores and restaurants to us seem to.... fancy/upscale for Disney World.

The nice thing about higher end sales is the margins tend to be (a lot) bigger so you can have more people looking than buying and still do well.

That said, we all think we understand the business model that Disney and their tenants are using but some of us (myself included) may be very wrong.

I'd take Amorette's opening later as a sign of TDO being cheap* over them having trouble with the shop. As the landlord and proprietor, it's not like the rent is killing them and at the prices they charge, they don't have to sell all that much flower, sugar and food coloring to cover the power and staffing.

The shop offers good placemaking in terms of establishing the relative "class" of the neighborhood it inhabits in this part of Disney Springs. That alone might make it worthwhile.

*Seriously, if they're willing to run everything else on property like they're going out of business while making record profits, why would you expect anything different, here? I wouldn't read a whole lot into this change.

Sans Souci

I wish I'd not opened this thread. The menu looks good and I see a few things on there I would like to try. I am kicking myself for not visiting this place the last time I was there. Is it overpriced? Maybe, but this place seems "artisanal" and Sprinkles is a chain. I'm sure the fancy packaging is built into the cost, too. Maybe there are too many bakeries?; I don't know I am just spitballing here.

nolatron

A little balance to the negativity, which is personal opinion and that's fine, but I can't wait to go back to this place. Two weeks!

Yup. We're heading to Disney in February and looking forward to checking everything out at Disney Springs. While we won't be dining at any of the new restuarants or shopping for stuff, DW and I are still interested in checking it out to see it all in person.

Missymoe4

This marks the beginning the down scaling of the Disney Springs offerings. All these high end "Vegas-like" offerings in a family vacation spot that has already become very taxing on the average (key word) guest, were inevitably going to have to scale back operating hours, offerings, or some may actually close in the future. The Town Center, IMFFHO (In My, Friends, & Family's Humble Opinion), in both design and store offerings feels a bit above the scope of what many of Disney vacationers are looking for. (Statement made from observations made over 2 trips).

I'm not knocking the businesses as I will stop in these types of places when in Vegas, but it just doesn't have the same comfort level for many as the rest of Disney. We've thoroughly enjoyed offerings at the Landings, and the traditional Market Place & West Side. But Town Center just doesn't have that Disney feel. I am comparing the feel to the parks and resorts. Had Town Center been scaled back in size and opulence just a bit, it would have been a better fit. I am curious to know how their revenue is against the projected, as I've been wrong before and will inevitably be wrong again.

Only my opinion.

I thought I was the only person who saw Disney Springs in this way. I live in Chicago and it feels like a suburban mall we have here (funny, most of the restaurants are run by Chicago restaurants/chefs, too!). I can see how visitors may find it a cool spot, and granted, it is. But, it's also a place other cities have been doing for awhile now. IMHO, the best shops are still in the marketplace, offering Disney goods I cannot purchase in Chicago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom