Big changes to magicbands?!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just throwing out another hypothesis I thought of for the new "puck" devices that started this thread...

The filing is just for the devices themselves because they emit RF signals. I don't think anything says that they're intended for Guest use. Could the pucks be for CM tracking? Something they give the CM to just toss in a pocket so CM movements can be tracked? (I'll leave the privacy issues for a separate discussion)

Or what if they're looking to lease the overall long-range-reader system to outside companies for tracking of *their* employees? Since they already came up with whatever long-range reader systems they have in the parks, the next thing would be to come up with an alternative to wristbands that the company would make their employees carry. A little puck that could be clipped onto a lanyard or left in your pocket would fit the bill.

Or, everyone else was on the right path initially and they're looking to assign a single puck per person and then have Guests swap out the wrist straps...

-Rob

The FCC document still calls a "wrist worn" device .

AEfx

I don't understand why people are resistant to change..

Yup, that's all it is - people being silly and stubborn because they don't want to spend $400+ to buy a product who's intent is a) make more money for the manufacturer with every purchase you ever use it to make and further tie you into their walled garden, and b) to literally attach you physically to your cell phone, in a world where many are realizing that we are become far too attached to these devices to begin with.

21stamps

Yup, that's all it is - people being silly and stubborn because they don't want to spend $400+ to buy a product who's intent is a) make more money for the manufacturer with every purchase you ever use it to make and further tie you into their walled garden, and b) to literally attach you physically to your cell phone, in a world where many are realizing that we are become far too attached to these devices to begin with.
I'm not saying everyone needs to go buy the watch. Apple Pay is not exclusive to the Apple Watch.. You can use it on your phone, you can order Starbucks on your phone, Chipotle, Jimmy Johns etc- on your phone, Rewards cards- stored in your phone. Android people can do the same.
Smart phones, even iPhones, have become completely affordable for everyone within the last 5-6 years..Why not use them productively if you have one anyway? That's what they were made for. Not just surfing the web and taking photos, like so many seem to think they are for, but they gained popularity because it helps your life be a little more efficient.. that's how they were used, once upon a time., and now they have ever more to offer! I don't mind that Apple gets pennies on the dollar because I use their secure payment system. I'll happily do that if it means more great things are to come!

All that being said- I think phablets are entirely stupid. My personal opinion, other can differ. But that is a gimmick in my eyes. I have an iPad and a Nook..why do I need a phone almost the same size as a tablet..especially when it doesn't fit in my pocket?!?

Size matters. ;)

Last edited:

AEfx

I'm not saying everyone needs to go buy the watch. Apple Pay is not exclusive to the Apple Watch.. You can use it on your phone, you can order Starbucks on your phone, Chipotle, Jimmy Johns etc- on your phone, Rewards cards- stored in your phone.
Smart phones, even iPhones, have become completely affordable for everyone within the last 5-6 years..Why not use them productively if you have one anyway? That's what they were made for. Not just surfing the web and taking photos, like so many seem to think they are for, but they gained popularity because it helps your life be a little more efficient.. that's how they were used, once upon a time., and now they have ever more to offer! I don't mind that Apple gets pennies on the dollar because I use their secure payment system. I'll happily do that if it means more great things are to come!

I order Subway on my phone all the time. I'm not a Luddite, LOL. Though it does sound like you are just the Type-A perfect consumer that they love.

In any case, it's not worth arguing about except for the last part - there is no such thing as a "secure payment system" - you may feel it has protections that are more secure (in some ways, yes, it is, in others - debatable) - but don't let yourself be fooled that it's "secure". "More secure" in your opinion, but "secure" is not a possibility, don't be fooled.

21stamps

I order Subway on my phone all the time. I'm not a Luddite, LOL. Though it does sound like you are just the Type-A perfect consumer that they love.

In any case, it's not worth arguing about except for the last part - there is no such thing as a "secure payment system" - you may feel it has protections that are more secure (in some ways, yes, it is, in others - debatable) - but don't let yourself be fooled that it's "secure". "More secure" in your opinion, but "secure" is not a possibility, don't be fooled.
Oh I admit.. I'm an apple addict. Always have been. Before their phones I was a Mac addict, but with a Crackberry as my only acceptable wireless device (I have to pause for a silent moment here..the days of bbm and brick breaker were pretty great, poor RIM). But then the revolution came. (I did stay with Blackberry up until 5 years ago for work, so I didn't leave them completely, just lost their exclusiveness with me lol). I camped out for the first iPhone from 7pm the night before..and it was amazing to finally have it in my hands..we would go the night before or early am for the next few years..I still go early every September now. Oh and the Watch almost ruined my Christmas when it was pushed back to a spring release.
Total nerd, I know. I admit it. That's the first step, right? ;)

Truth is, anything that can make my day a tad more efficient, thereby giving me extra time in my day, is something that I need immediately.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

I bought an Apple Watch last month. I returned it ten days later. Its function was WAY too limited and ultimately pointless.

G00fyDad

If the MagicBands are working fine or semi-fine. Why waste more money to change it? Surely that money could be spent elsewhere.

Its the same money being spent. They shouldn't need to alter anything (besides IT) other than where they are purchasing them from.

21stamps

I bought an Apple Watch last month. I returned it ten days later. Its function was WAY too limited and ultimately pointless.
Just curious as to why you bought it in the first place? If you didn't like what it's uses are for.
If the MagicBands are working fine or semi-fine. Why waste more money to change it? Surely that money could be spent elsewhere.
I am excited for the new personalized touches since we've been there last. I don't really want the design changed though.

JWG

Disney can't do anything worse than Universal. Universal's antiquated bar code reading process is the worst. We just got back from there after not having been since 2007 and were surprised at the process. Once it rained and anything got wet all bets were off.

AEfx

To make more money on bands and those that want to "collect" them, like pins and such. This is all about making more money on them, not less.

Basically, I'm sure their research has shown that only a small percentage of folks ares willing to buy multiples and view them as "collectables" or "fashion" at the current price points. So by separating the guts of the band from the band itself, presumably the replacement bands will be cheaper (I'm guessing sub-$20) which then opens up a whole new segment of folks who would be willing to buy extras.

Consumer behavior is rather decisive on this, by lowering the price below a certain threshold, they will sell exponentially many more bands. There is some "magic" about the $20 price point in consumer minds, which is why I'm pretty sure they will be under that.

To give it a simple example - a kid sees a band they really want in a shop at WDW, even though they already have a band. A lot more parents are going to say "Yes" to the purchase if it's $20 or under and the kid can just swap out the "guts" (or "puck" as they are calling it) out of their existing band, as opposed to spending $40 or whatever on a complete new band and then just putting the existing band away and no longer getting any use out of it.

In theory, this should also reduce quite a bit of headache from CM's and guest services having to continually activate and manage bands for those that do "collect" them, as well - the buyer should be able to just put the puck into the new band themselves and Disney doesn't need to have any part in it, aside from selling you the new band. There will be little to no need for anyone to have more than one "puck", which is the only thing that matters to the computers.

I also expect this to lead to more wearable options - pucks in pins, pucks in necklaces and such - I wouldn't be surprised if we saw long-sleeved shirts/sweatshirts with "puck pockets". (And if they haven't thought of this, I want a cut LOL...)

In any case, I dislike the entire concept of MM+, and the entire thing itself a colossal waste of money, but this is actually a very smart move if they are heck bent on making them an integral part of the WDW experience (and obviously, they are). Given the collector-mentality that so many frequent visitors have, it's a sure-fire revenue stream for them when the puck-less bracelets will likely only cost them a buck or two to make, they have nearly unlimited existing art to print on them, and they can sell them for many times what they cost to make.

pajammies

Any new info on whether or not there are going to be changes to the Magic Band's?
I would love to see a puck style to be able to wear it as a lanyard.

LongLiveTheKing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom