Disney expands Pin Trading into new PinQuest scavenger hunt

thomas998

Okay.... So I can fork out about $100 for the privilege of running all over the park so my kid can waste even more time browsing through over priced shops instead of riding rides that I already forked over a hefty sum for - I think not. Better to just wait a few months until they start showing up on ebay for 30-40 bucks for a set without all the wasted time being tricked into spending time in overpriced stores.

MrPromey

Okay.... So I can fork out about $100 for the privilege of running all over the park so my kid can waste even more time browsing through over priced shops instead of riding rides that I already forked over a hefty sum for - I think not.

At first I was thinking "wow" Disney has taken a page out of the mobile gaming scheme book to create a true pay-to-play model where you not only have to pay up front (which to me would be fair, even with Sorcerers) but continue to pay to advance*. That seemed bad enough, then I got to your post and I think *that* is the key thing we all need to realize.

These aren't chances to stroll around the park and discover hidden stuff in the areas with a pay-to-play model. This isn't like Sorcerers or the Pirate adventure with a add-on charge. It's a way to drag your kid through all the major gift shops looking carefully at everything there to spend time making sure they see all the stuff for sale that you as a parent would like to avoid. It's downright devious. Once you've started it with your child, you're committed or you look like the bad guy. I don't think most parents would realize what they are in for until it's too late... although it's something Disney has obviously put a lot of thought into.

*I'm sure some will say this piecemeal way to pay is fair because you only pay for what you complete but Disney isn't pricing it this way out of the kindness of their hearts. They're doing it because they know most reasonable parents would scoff at the $80 up-front cost so they're trying to obscure it. Know who normally pulls that crap? Cable and cell phone companies.

Last edited:
Okay.... So I can fork out about $100 for the privilege of running all over the park so my kid can waste even more time browsing through over priced shops instead of riding rides that I already forked over a hefty sum for - I think not. Better to just wait a few months until they start showing up on ebay for 30-40 bucks for a set without all the wasted time being tricked into spending time in overpriced stores.
You won't see them that cheap. To purchase a pin, you must have a map. So resellers will have to buy 10 maps to be able to buy 10 pins. The effort alone will keep the value high.

MrPromey

You won't see them that cheap. To purchase a pin, you must have a map. So resellers will have to buy 10 maps to be able to buy 10 pins. The effort alone will keep the value high.

Do they mark the map after you "complete" a part or take it from you once you complete the buying quest?

thomas998

It will take a while but I'm pretty sure based on past things like this that prices will fall... if for no other reason than most of the pins will probably be less than desirable from an aesthetic standpoint and a lot of the people that do it will be doing it as a game which means they wont really care that much about keeping the pins longterm.

And of course I'm also banking on the less than ethical pin manufacturers in China making way more pins than they send to Disney that will end up on ebay.

No Name

Sounds cool!

Pin trading happens to be a big part of my trips. The price is pretty hefty, but for me, I think it'd be worth it

It doesn't really affect anything else in the parks, other than taking up some of the CMs' time. So I say that this a great way for Disney to make extra money.

Next, I wish they'd crack down on fakes from China.

Oh, and NavagatEAR is among the corniest of names I've heard. :D

wogwog

You catch on fast. Good thinking.

asianway

Not if the subject matter is crap like these are, they'll lose half the value the minute you walk away from the cash register. Or wait for clearance like the crap Remy pins from food and wine

hopemax

It's not the first time they've done things like this. In Ye Olde Days of Pin Trading aka early-mid 2000's, they would release a pin series with one pin in each of the parks, one pin at Downtown Disney, and 1-2 pins at various resorts. So people would spend half a day driving around to get them all. Only there was no $15 lanyard purchase, and the map and "completer" pin would be free.

Zipadeelady

Friends dont let friends buy pins.
Now that's funny! But hey, we have a trip coming up and the kiddos bought my a handful of pins to trade for my birthday. Now all I need is a lanyard, and I thought this looked like it would be fun. I've changed my mind.

-em

We did the quest today and rather enjoyed it. Felt it was designed well with decent 'mystery questions', the pins a nice matched set and the CMs had fun with it.. Always had one or two people around us in different parts of the game so decently popular.. My only minor complaint was having the 'right' register marked in each spot. Some had the Quest sign on 'the' register (yeah!) others no so it took some questioning and a few min waiting in wrong lines (boo)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom