News D23 Expo 2017

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I agree. Disney really dropped the ball with Narnia. I hope that someday, wiser heads will prevail, and Narnia will be remade by Disney as an ANIMATED film. And wouldn't it be great if it were in 2D? That could be a blockbuster. People would freak over it. When you think about it, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is kind of a cross between Frozen and the Lion King...a perfect fit for Disney. ;)

In 2D animation. Very few people would freak over it. Maybe me and you. And a couple other 2D die hards. That’s about it.

Magenta Panther

In 2D animation. Very few people would freak over it. Maybe me and you. And a couple other 2D die hards. That’s about it.

That's a big nope there, good buddy. Disney's greatest legacy is its lovely sumptuous 2D movies. I'm not saying that Disney should do all future movies in 2D. That's not practical. But an event movie like the one I described, one that had a great script (unlike the lackluster Princess and the Frog), would be epic. I have no doubt about that.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That's a big nope there, good buddy. Disney's greatest legacy is its lovely sumptuous 2D movies. I'm not saying that Disney should do all future movies in 2D. That's not practical. But an event movie like the one I described, one that had a great script (unlike the lackluster Princess and the Frog), would be epic. I have no doubt about that.

The public doesn’t want new 2D anymore. Maybe some smaller projects here and there but just doesn’t work for a blockbuster anymore. You’re an exception. Not the norm.

Not to mention doing Narnia in 2D over 3D or life action with today’s CGI is just so limiting.

Magenta Panther

The public doesn’t want new 2D anymore. Maybe some smaller projects here and there but just doesn’t work for a blockbuster anymore. You’re an exception. Not the norm.

Not to mention doing Narnia in 2D over 3D or life action with today’s CGI is just so limiting.

I love CGI. It's amazing, and I have no doubt that Walt would love it too, and probably see it as a plus over 2D. Or maybe he would at first...

But when I watch Pinocchio, or Fantasia, or Lady and the Tramp...there is a beauty in Walt-level 2D that is just missing in CGI. There's an artistic energy in a hand-drawn animation cell from a top-level artist that CGI cannot replicate. If you ask me, it's CGI that's limiting. There is no individual expression in it. That's its strength, I suppose...there's a reliability in quality that CGI guarantees. But there's a lack in virtuoso performances. Elsa cannot visually compete with hand-drawn Maleficent, for example. And compare Maleficent's dragon form with the dragon Smaug in that Hobbit movie...no comparison as to which is the most memorable. Anyway, I know that today's Disney isn't smart or bold enough to try what I suggested. I don't know why I keep hoping that someday there will be a real artistic renaissance in Disney Animation Studios. But you never know, after all....

Cesar R M

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe did well, but I think that was more a matter of insanely beloved source material rather than expert filmmaking. It's a shame, because the Narnia series could have really been tremendous if it was given the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings treatment.
Even Peter Jackson isnt the saving grace.
The hobbit was a fine example of the executives and top movie bosses ruining the director's vision for profits.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom