News D23 Expo 2017

CaptainAmerica

Wrinkle will also flop. I'm getting serious BFG / Tomorrowland vibes from that trailer.
^ Me, eight months ago.

EvergreenUnrulyArchaeopteryx-size_restricted.gif

CaptainAmerica

I'll wait until it actually comes out (and I see it) to say whether it's any good and to see if it flops or not.
I'm not judging its quality, but it most definitely will flop. Tracking has it opening around $35 million, which is Tomorrowland territory, just as I predicted. It's going to lose to Black Panther on Black Panther's fourth weekend. That's bad.

Protip to Hollywood: You can't expect movies to succeed solely based on "representation" if they also suck. Representation is fantastic when the movie is good (Black Panther, Wonder Woman, The Force Awakens), but diversity isn't enough to redeem a movie that's otherwise crap (Ghostbusters 2016).

CaptainAmerica

Aaah yes, "tracking", aka "guesswork". We'll see when it opens how it does. Early reviews have been hugely mixed (everything from "visionary, amazing, beautiful" to "very weird").
Where are you seeing any of that? The review embargo was just lifted at noon and they're almost universally negative. Even the positive ones are lukewarm at best. I haven't seen any affirmatively positive reviews that weren't littered with caveats.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm not judging its quality, but it most definitely will flop. Tracking has it opening around $35 million, which is Tomorrowland territory, just as I predicted. It's going to lose to Black Panther on Black Panther's fourth weekend. That's bad.

Protip to Hollywood: You can't expect movies to succeed solely based on "representation" if they also suck. Representation is fantastic when the movie is good (Black Panther, Wonder Woman, The Force Awakens), but diversity isn't enough to redeem a movie that's otherwise crap (Ghostbusters 2016).

You know what I do miss....Actual Comedy films Disney use to do....Everything's all Fantasy, Star Wars, Horrible CG When it isn't necessary....Give me humor to level's the Film Disney's Rocketman Had....I miss this...

Otterhead

Give me humor to level's the Film Disney's Rocketman Had....I miss this...

Or..... they could make quality films, and not something that has 24% on Rotten Tomatoes.

From what I've read, "Wrinkle in Time" is extremely accurate to the original book, which is great, but the book is a strange, existential trip through the cosmos that deals with advanced physics and an interstellar war through time. Not exactly light, fun blockbuster-movie fare, but a brave film to make.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's very hard to create a brand new fantasy world from scratch and even harder to translate that to the movies. A book can get you involved with the drama and characters and you experience the world through them as the rules for the fantasy world are being established.

A movie, however, usually gives you the first 10 minutes to establish the protagonist that you're supposed to identify with and root for before you find out , BAM!, a secret fantasy world exists. At least, that's how it usually goes for juvenile fantasy movies. And it usually fails.

There are some things which can help: The book or franchise is very, very popular (Potter, Transformers) to begin with. Or the fantasy aspect sneaks up on you slowly so that you're not overwhelmed with plot devices (Iron Man, Game of Thrones). Or you go the YA route and make everything sexy (Twilight). Or, you do a really, really good job establishing character, drama, and a coherent fantasy world (Star Wars, E.T.). Big name characters can help, but, if the vehicle sucks, then no big name can save an awful movie (Jupiter Ascending). Being a good musical can also help (Frozen, Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins).

Quinnmac000

I would argue the fact the last iteration of Wrinkle in Time also made by Disney which originally was for theatrical then pushed to TV wasn't well received...its the fact its an unadaptable property more so than casting decisions.

No one expected the film to succeed on representation. However at least she walked the walk and talked the talk with having a cast full of people of different races rather than screaming diversity and it only applying to certain people.

Otterhead

No one expected the film to succeed on representation. However at least she walked the walk and talked the talk with having a cast full of people of different races rather than screaming diversity and it only applying to certain people.
The most interesting and even-handed reviews I've read comment that while this is a movie that has very little crossover appeal for adults, it's exactly the kind of movie that the kind of weird kid who loved reading Wrinkle in Time will love watching. I've never thought this would be a huge blockbuster for Disney. But I'm glad they're getting strange, creative films like this made nonetheless. Sometimes it's not all about money.

BisonLion

It's very hard to create a brand new fantasy world from scratch and even harder to translate that to the movies. A book can get you involved with the drama and characters and you experience the world through them as the rules for the fantasy world are being established.

A movie, however, usually gives you the first 10 minutes to establish the protagonist that you're supposed to identify with and root for before you find out , BAM!, a secret fantasy world exists. At least, that's how it usually goes for juvenile fantasy movies. And it usually fails.

There are some things which can help: The book or franchise is very, very popular (Potter, Transformers) to begin with. Or the fantasy aspect sneaks up on you slowly so that you're not overwhelmed with plot devices (Iron Man, Game of Thrones). Or you go the YA route and make everything sexy (Twilight). Or, you do a really, really good job establishing character, drama, and a coherent fantasy world (Star Wars, E.T.). Big name characters can help, but, if the vehicle sucks, then no big name can save an awful movie (Jupiter Ascending). Being a good musical can also help (Frozen, Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins).

I agree 100% and this is lost on a lot of people (both hollywood and the common movie fan). A perfect example on a more adult level is Game of Thrones. Fans of the books loved it out of the blocks. It took my wife and I about 4 episodes to finally get into it, but once we were in we were hooked. Those 4 episodes to flesh out the characters and the locations is 4 hours that movies don't have. Luckily for us we didn't start until season 3 so we were able to binge watch and power through the 4 hours until we started getting returns. The new Star Wars have an advantage of tying old stories into new.

BrianLo

Wrinkle will also flop. I'm getting serious BFG / Tomorrowland vibes from that trailer.

Not going to even pretend it's remotely on the sunny side of great, but the start is better than it was seeming. Should have no trouble lapping the likes of BFG and surpassing Tomorrowland by a generous margin.

I had no recollection of how poorly BFG did! (55mil domestic lifetime!)

Here’s a ray of sun for A Wrinkle of Time: The Ava DuVernay-directed film is looking to win Friday with $12M-$14M over Black Panther which will turn in $8M-$9.5M. That’s for sure. We just received a second update and it looks like A Wrinkle in Time should take the weekend with $44M-$45M over Black Panther‘s $41M-$42M. Another set of estimates from a few minutes ago believed the No. 1 one win was too close to call with both looking at $37M to low $40Ms.

Rival studio executives have been buzzing for sometime that a $30M-ish start for A Wrinkle in Time just doesn’t cut it profit-wise in regards to this $100M-plus production, but a $40M-plus start will be fine. Even if Wrinkle comes up short, Disney can take the hit given the amount of successes they’ve had. The studio fully backed and supported a vibrant vision from a passionate female director who has cherished this literary property for some time, and those corporate maneuvers in Hollywood shouldn’t be questioned, rather celebrated and championed. The intent here was to eventize a classic childrens novel with a fanbase that had never been brought to the screen before. It’s a very competitive weekend, and A Wrinkle in Time, like Black Panther, has been sold on its multiculturalism in its ensemble cast. The pic is coming three weeks after that Marvel monolith which is quickly approaching $600M. There’s some cannibalization of audiences here. The hope here for A Wrinkle in Time is that it sleeps all the way to $150m, a 3.5x thanks to spring breaks.

michmousefan

Not going to even pretend it's remotely on the sunny side of great, but the start is better than it was seeming. Should have no trouble lapping the likes of BFG and surpassing Tomorrowland by a generous margin.

I had no recollection of how poorly BFG did! (55mil domestic lifetime!)
Revised estimates now have it down to $32.5 M, with the Panther juggernaut unabated. Proof positive why Disney moved Infinity War up a week, so that as little conflict with "Solo" will remain at the box office once Memorial day weekend comes along.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/a-wrinkle-in-time-black-panther-weekend-box-office-1202324260/

BrianLo

Revised estimates now have it down to $32.5 M, with the Panther juggernaut unabated. Proof positive why Disney moved Infinity War up a week, so that as little conflict with "Solo" will remain at the box office once Memorial day weekend comes along.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/a-wrinkle-in-time-black-panther-weekend-box-office-1202324260/

Ya I definitely spoke too soon, we are firmly heading back into the disappointment category. It’s a pity Disney has never been able to make these book adaptations jive. Seems we will be in more all in on the remakes going forward.

CaptainAmerica

Ya I definitely spoke too soon, we are firmly heading back into the disappointment category. It’s a pity Disney has never been able to make these book adaptations jive. Seems we will be in more all in on the remakes going forward.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe did well, but I think that was more a matter of insanely beloved source material rather than expert filmmaking. It's a shame, because the Narnia series could have really been tremendous if it was given the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings treatment.

Magenta Panther

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe did well, but I think that was more a matter of insanely beloved source material rather than expert filmmaking. It's a shame, because the Narnia series could have really been tremendous if it was given the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings treatment.

I agree. Disney really dropped the ball with Narnia. I hope that someday, wiser heads will prevail, and Narnia will be remade by Disney as an ANIMATED film. And wouldn't it be great if it were in 2D? That could be a blockbuster. People would freak over it. When you think about it, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is kind of a cross between Frozen and the Lion King...a perfect fit for Disney. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom