New expensive "interactive" merch - Haunted Mansion Ghost Post

Keith Richardson

Thanks for the post. In retrospect, do you think it was worth it?

I think the items are certainly cool, but I don't think I'd spend that much for them. I guess it's more of the experience than the swag.

In retrospect, no, I don't think it was worth the amount they charged.

When they first announced the box, I jumped in because it was limited and I thought I was going to get over $250 worth of cool, limited edition mansion related items. What I got instead for the most part, was a bunch of cardboard and paper items that were good for to do whatever trick they were trying to pull off at the time and that's it. There is no real value to the items outside of the experience.

And I have to be honest, a lot of the activities were not fun. Following a bunch of steps in three separate mathematically rigged card tricks so you can have your "is this your card?" moment is not fun. Typing out words on a board, one letter at a time, in order to spell out incantations...monotonous.

And the story was a little strange. In the first box, you can reflect in your teacup that you have to beware of Madame Leota and the ghosts talk about not wanting her to know what they were doing but, she was totally on board with everything. I was expecting some sort of big twist where she was behind everything and I needed to stop her somehow.

It felt like I was paying them to be part of an experiment. Would people pay to do something like this? What kind of tricks can we do with the capabilities of the iPhone? Can we use the bluetooth technology of the phone to have people interact with things in the park?

WhatJaneSays

This might be a long shot but if anyone out there with access to the playing/tarot cards from this would be willing to scan or take some good photos of them for me I'd be extremely grateful.

Keith Richardson

There's in-park aspect as well apparently. Disneyland only but it looks interesting.

I was able to go last month and the in-park interactions were pretty cool, although people did look at me like I was a nut.

The audio I got on the ride was actually different because it was after I had done the second box so, the ghosts in the ballroom were talking about how I had discovered the secret room there and told me where it was. The hitchhikers also had different audio. So, it is interesting that they really put some extra work into this aspect.

Keith Richardson

This might be a long shot but if anyone out there with access to the playing/tarot cards from this would be willing to scan or take some good photos of them for me I'd be extremely grateful.
The cards from the box? I have scans of all of them from the first 2 boxes. For the last box, I only scanned the aces.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom