Fairways course at Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf closing for refurbishment

Jon81uk

When I say "stuck in the Eisner era", I mostly mean 90's-ish style type things. The only other thing that jumps off the top of my head is Disney Quest and some stuff around Future World since he screwed that up.

At least DisneyQuest exterior is just a big blue box. Whereas Swan and Dolphin are just weird looking and dated.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I love the Dolphin and Swan look, its classic Florida. As long as they update the actual rooms, which they have done and are currently working on the Dolphin, then I am cool with the look.

CaptainAmerica

I love the Dolphin and Swan look, its classic Florida.
I think "classic Florida" is, by definition, a dated look. It's not old enough to be "classic" in the sense that Yacht Club is classic New England, Saratoga Springs is classic upstate New York, or the Boardwalk is classic New Jersey. "Classic" for Florida means the tourism boom of the 1970s. The orange and blue/green/teal/aqua of the Marlins, Dolphins, Hurricanes, and Gators conjures an extremely dated vibe of stucco and tile. You can almost smell the cigarette smoke just looking at those buildings.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I think "classic Florida" is, by definition, a dated look. It's not old enough to be "classic" in the sense that Yacht Club is classic New England, Saratoga Springs is classic upstate New York, or the Boardwalk is classic New Jersey. "Classic" for Florida means the tourism boom of the 1970s. The orange and blue/green/teal/aqua of the Marlins, Dolphins, Hurricanes, and Gators conjures an extremely dated vibe of stucco and tile. You can almost smell the cigarette smoke just looking at those buildings.
I was born and raised in Florida, that is as classic as you can get :p

rael ramone

Back to the 'fairways'. It's been years since I've played there, but it would be a huge shame for them to change it to be like a more 'traditional' mini golf with the windmill hole. It's the 'realistic' layout that makes it special. And from a business sense, it could be something that gave people a kinda taste of real golf to entice them to play on the more lucrative Oak trail or full size courses.

anchorman314

A pro tip to anyone thinking of trying the fairways course: don't attempt it if it's a day with full sun and temps above 85. Been there, done that. It's a fun course, but those conditions made it absolutely brutal.

Garfield

First time I played the Fairways course, my score was terrible and I absolutely hated it. In my younger days I had a 2 handicap and was a very good golfer, but that probably made it even tougher for me. I continued to play it and it became clear to me what strategy I needed to follow and how hard I actually needed to hit the ball. We now rate this as our favorite course and for the past five or so years play it multiple times on each visit. Last time we were there a lot of the surface was getting in pretty rough shape and needed some attention. Glad to hear it is getting some.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom