Disney adds more Orange Team capacity at Mission SPACE

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I only rode Orange once in 2003, and it made me not feel right. I always ride green(I thought it was a great addition). I wish Star Tours had a similar option.
For what it is worth I believe even orange side was tamed down signifanctly since then. When I rode orange originally vs now seems drastically less intense.

Tigger1988

For what it is worth I believe even orange side was tamed down signifanctly since then. When I rode orange originally vs now seems drastically less intense.
Agreed. When I rode MS when it was in soft opening it leveled me. Never had such a horrible reaction to a ride before. A year or two later I rode it again and it felt significantly toned down.

Marc Davis Fan

This seems like good news to me. It should balance out the queues a bit more. (In fact, some of the people who ride green only do so because the queue is shorter, so the demand for green is even lower than it already appears to be.)

One problem: Orange should not be described as "spinning." That creates a totally false impression of the nature of the ride, which confuses riders who are expecting it to spin, so that they're not in the mindset to just appreciate the experience that really they are getting. In fact the ride is purposely designed to minimize any perception of spinning! The orange team has "intense G forces" (though obviously not really that intense) or simply "goes fast."

Relatedly, saying things like "both versions are the same except that one spins" misrepresents the fact that the "spinning" is the purpose of the attraction. It would be like having a non-dropping version of ToT, and saying "it's the same ride except it just doesn't have drops."

I understand that "spinning" is legally necessary for the pre-ride warnings, but other than that, it should not be used to explain to guests the difference between the versions!

Disneyhead'71

I don't even consider MS a thrill ride. I could Drink Around The World Showcase followed by a burrito in Mexico before a spin on the Orange side and be ready for more booze after!

JoeCamel

This seems like good news to me. It should balance out the queues a bit more. (In fact, some of the people who ride green only do so because the queue is shorter, so the demand for green is even lower than it already appears to be.)

One problem: Orange should not be described as "spinning." That creates a totally false impression of the nature of the ride, which confuses riders who are expecting it to spin, so that they're not in the mindset to just appreciate the experience that really they are getting. In fact the ride is purposely designed to minimize any perception of spinning! The orange team has "intense G forces" (though obviously not really that intense) or simply "goes fast."

Relatedly, saying things like "both versions are the same except that one spins" misrepresents the fact that the "spinning" is the purpose of the attraction. It would be like having a non-dropping version of ToT, and saying "it's the same ride except it just doesn't have drops."

I understand that "spinning" is legally necessary for the pre-ride warnings, but other than that, it should not be used to explain to guests the difference between the versions!

I think your inner ear knows what is "spinning" and what is not, the sensations that I and other guests have are real and disturbing. You are spun in a centrifuge to simulate lower gravity and it is a simulation but it does affect some guests for several hours after the ride.

I choose not to ride orange, I tried it back when it opened and that was enough and green does not give enough reason to ride at all so I walk on by.

Please put something in the other abandoned areas to be worth a visit, more of this is not needed

t3techcom18

Actually it DOES, Ask the CM's if they can do a 'Flight Check' run - this does the show without engaging the motion systems. Best bet for this of course is late in the day with no lines. But ask - they do run these periodically.

Whomever told you this is wrong. There is such a feature but, 1) it's controlled by maintenance and 2) it can only be done with no guests being onboard. Never have I seen and/or heard of this happening with guests from the folks I've known there for 3 years.

So how did they do this, Was there some Orange which was offline or is Green actually Orange without the centrifuge being activated?

As another poster has said, Bays 1 and 2 are Green, Bays 3 and 4 are Orange. They've almost always run every single day, baring any issues. Basically, Maintenance has to reconfigure the ride profile and upload the old one/change the videos. That's all there is to it. It takes about 2-3 hours.

I don't go on this ride that often, but I haven't been on the more intense version in years. I was under the impression that they would configure this previously so that the Green Team always had the lower wait time.

Oh, I wish it were that simple. Per their training, Green always had to have a lower wait time than the Orange side so as to not force people to go on the Orange if Green had a higher wait time. Even if the Green side was higher in wait time than the Orange, Orange always had to be higher, which segueways into the next bit...

This change is actually not a good thing. This was deemed from other higher powers who only looked at the numbers instead of the rules that govern the attraction. Let's just say expect Space to go down a LOT more often now (and I'm not referencing the Green bay going Orange).

RSoxNo1

Oh, I wish it were that simple. Per their training, Green always had to have a lower wait time than the Orange side so as to not force people to go on the Orange if Green had a higher wait time. Even if the Green side was higher in wait time than the Orange, Orange always had to be higher, which segueways into the next bit...

This change is actually not a good thing. This was deemed from other higher powers who only looked at the numbers instead of the rules that govern the attraction. Let's just say expect Space to go down a LOT more often now (and I'm not referencing the Green bay going Orange).
So if they weren't switching bay usage between Green and Orange did they just inflate posted wait times to reflect this?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
So if they weren't switching bay usage between Green and Orange did they just inflate posted wait times to reflect this?

Yes, and since Green has such limited capacity now it is much more obvious. By late morning now you'll see the wait times posted around 45 for Green and 50 for Orange. The Green one will be about right while Orange is actually a walk-on.

SirLink

So why exactly would SSE go down a LOT more? Surely there would be no impact to separate attractions unless you mean people will be sick on SSE?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
So why exactly would SSE go down a LOT more? Surely there would be no impact to separate attractions unless you mean people will be sick on SSE?

Who mentioned SSE? Mission: Space is likely to go completely 101 more often now. If anything happens to the single Green bay, the Orange bays are not permitted to operate.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
And a follow-up to earlier: Green is currently a 60 minute wait. Orange is posted at 65 and it's a walk-on with some bays being only partially filled.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I get that "not everyone likes spinning" and they had originally done this to accommodate folks who didn't want the intense ride. But I always found that to be extremely lame. You don't have a version of Space Mountain that is just a flat track. just like you don't have a version of Winnie the pooh that is actually a roller coaster. Not all attractions are for everyone. You don't like drops, you don't go on tower of terror. You don't like simulators or spinning, don't go on Mission: Space. They certainly have enough warnings ahead of time...

Or you could have an attraction that cost you more than 100million dollars that is largely being under utilized. Green was good for guests and saved disney's but from having m:s being a ghost town.

SirLink

Who mentioned SSE? Mission: Space is likely to go completely 101 more often now. If anything happens to the single Green bay, the Orange bays are not permitted to operate.

Oh reread the post I quoted I took Space as meaning SSE or "Space", I have never heard Mission Space as referred to as just Space.

Also kinda silly if green goes down orange can't operate. If Disney want to get people to sign waivers if they are worried about Legal implications I see no harm.

twilight mitsuk

Whomever told you this is wrong. There is such a feature but, 1) it's controlled by maintenance and 2) it can only be done with no guests being onboard. Never have I seen and/or heard of this happening with guests from the folks I've known there for 3 years.

As another poster has said, Bays 1 and 2 are Green, Bays 3 and 4 are Orange. They've almost always run every single day, baring any issues. Basically, Maintenance has to reconfigure the ride profile and upload the old one/change the videos. That's all there is to it. It takes about 2-3 hours.

Do they acully switch the motors off with a fuse box or something?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I don't see the point of green at all? I don't like the ride because I'm completely closed in to a steel coffin for the most part with some 20 year old CM in charge of when I get out. That's the most terrifying part of the ride for me. First time I went on it, the stupid thing didn't start for a while, how long I don't know but it was too long for me. Ride was fine. I don't like tight space to begin with but I have never had such a tense moment as when that ride just didn't do anything, black screen 18 inches from my face, legs basically locked under the control board, shoulders wedge in between two steel plates then a shoulder harness over that. No thanks and I won't be going into space in my life time either...LOL.
I agree... I have been on it once and that was enough, guess I'll have to wait for them to rebuild Horizons;)

NMBC1993

I agree... I have been on it once and that was enough, guess I'll have to wait for them to rebuild Horizons;)

Can we just re-purpose Mission Space to project a ride-though video of Horizons on the screens and not have the vehicles move at all?

Interestingly enough, I rode the green side of Mission Space a few months ago for the first time and really couldn't tell much of a difference. Sure, the G's weren't there but if anything I found it to be a more enjoyable version of the ride.

Biff215

Wow, didn't realize this, thanks for sharing. I have been riding green the last few years as my young daughter enjoys it. In our experience, green tends to have its issues and it has "delayed" our rides several times. I assume this is their attempt to stall and get it back up without having to close the entire attraction.

I'm sorry to hear that green is now a much longer wait while orange is a walk on. What initially sounded like a decent plan clearly was not discussed with the right people. If I didn't have that otherwise useless tier 2 Fast Pass we probably wouldn't even ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom