Big changes coming to Annual Passes

Cmdr_Crimson

I've actually heard from a couple sources that within the next couple months if not weeks, we should be hearing about brand new pricing on AP's. Apparently Disney has noticed the numbers declining of the amount of people who still plan on renewing their AP. Disney has also noticed that many plan on not renewing not just because of the current prices but because ever since the Paris attacks, many are currently afraid of going to the parks now. So in order to attract more people to purchase and renew their AP, Disney is looking into changing their current line of AP's.

If this is true....
tumblr_mf8b7uukaJ1qmakdao7_250.gif

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've actually heard from a couple sources that within the next couple months if not weeks, we should be hearing about brand new pricing on AP's. Apparently Disney has noticed the numbers declining of the amount of people who still plan on renewing their AP. Disney has also noticed that many plan on not renewing not just because of the current prices but because ever since the Paris attacks, many are currently afraid of going to the parks now. So in order to attract more people to purchase and renew their AP, Disney is looking into changing their current line of AP's.

Like i've said over and over the only way to get Disney to change their behavior is to hit them in the pocketbook

JoeCamel

Believe it when I see it. That would set a precedent that is unprecedented! Unless they raise them and cut benefits again, that I would believe.

I am convinced a decision was made to discourage locals from buying an AP and coming for a couple of hours here and there. They don't spend what the one timers do and unless the world economy falls flat they have plenty of those.

CJR

Just got into the website finally, I can confirm that you get the renewal price even if you downgrade. We're at Platinum right now and plan to go down to Silver next year - price including tax came to $351.45 per pass. We realized we weren't really going to the parks on the busy days anyway and, if we really want to go to the water parks, you can actually add the water park annual pass much cheaper than going all the way up to the Platinum Plus. We'll probably just fork up $40 and get a parking pass to Daytona Beach though.

I held back from actually renewing (confirming the order) just in case something unexpected comes up. I don't see them raising prices again before our deadline.

JohnD

That's correct, they are offered as benefits in the promotional material and offerings for no other purpose than to make the sale. Even though they sell you on the idea that you'll have all of these fine benefits, you really don't have any other benefits beyond park admission. Read the fine print.

ot3aEYQ.png

4G0MQPl.png

Correct. The "benefit" of the price increase is the "free" PhotoPass download. You already know what this means. You're paying for photo downloads whether you want them or not.

JohnD

I had just gotten my FL res Seasonal Pass to WDW in late August, and my next trip was just a few weeks back in October (we were in Epcot for Halloween, lots of fun seeing all the people dressed up). ANYWAY, I asked when we got to the Epcot parking gate if we got free parking now that the tickets had changed- the nice parking attendent still took my $20 (wha!?!) but said to bring the receipt with me and go to Guest relations to see about ungrading.

Going "up" to the Silver pass is exactly the same as the old Seasonal Pass (i.e. blackout dates) BUT included free parking, with renewal date remaining in August. The CM at Guest Relations said I could go from Seasonal to Silver for $60, minus $20 refund for today's parking- basically $40. Since anything more than 2 days parking past that day would be gravy I gladly took them up on it.

Seemed like a good deal to me, although I can definitely see why those at higher levels are getting squeezed. Personally I see no reason to ever go above Silver, as I have no need for all those photos. LOL. My iPhone works just fine thanks.

Agreed. Gold does give you the summer months but as an FR, I have no desire to go to WDW during those hot, overcrowded months. Nor do I want to pay for something--PhotoPass--that I don't want.

rucifee

Correct. The "benefit" of the price increase is the "free" PhotoPass download. You already know what this means. You're paying for photo downloads whether you want them or not.

Right, rather than buying one PhotoPass you're now forced to buy PhotoPass for each Passholder unless you downgrade some of your passes to a level that doesn't have it. I've personally never used PhotoPass and have no need for it. In order to opt out of the forced purchase I have to downgrade each pass I don't want it on to a pass that's practically useless to me.

DisneyMoneyGrab™

rucifee

Agreed. Gold does give you the summer months but as an FR, I have no desire to go to WDW during those hot, overcrowded months. Nor do I want to pay for something--PhotoPass--that I don't want.

I personally love the parks during the summer months.

JohnD

Hope this is true. You say numbers in renewals are declining. Also, if responses on this forum are any indication, people are also downgrading, which means spending less. What WDW should do is offer all the current passes but with PhotoPass not already included, meaning Gold and above would have reduced prices. Then offer PhotoPass as an optional add-in at less than the regular price.

rucifee

I would consider a variation of the Gold without PhotoPass, if offered. But right now, I'll stick with Silver. It's almost the same as the previous FR Seasonal Pass.

We're not renewing at all, we've been so annoyed with Disney this year that we can't even enjoy an evening in the parks anymore. I actually raised my voice with a CM the other day because they were so stupid I don't even know how they knew how to breathe. I've rarely had problems with CMs but this year, wow. Service has been bad, food has been bad, rides are constantly down, and the parks are too crowded to be enjoyed, it's just not worth it to us anymore. I wouldn't put up with most of the stuff if it were free so why pay for it?

JohnD

We're not renewing at all, we've been so annoyed with Disney this year that we can't even enjoy an evening in the parks anymore. I actually raised my voice with a CM the other day because they were so stupid I don't even know how they knew how to breathe. I've rarely had problems with CMs but this year, wow. Service has been bad, food has been bad, rides are constantly down, and the parks are too crowded to be enjoyed, it's just not worth it to us anymore. I wouldn't put up with most of the stuff if it were free so why pay for it?

I hear you.

JoeCamel

Perhaps they are justifying having all the PP people standing around using the guests phones and quick shots to take their pictures. Now they can have them use the provided equipment and get the opportunity to upsell when you view and upload your "included" package of pictures.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Believe it when I see it. That would set a precedent that is unprecedented! Unless they raise them and cut benefits again, that I would believe.

I am convinced a decision was made to discourage locals from buying an AP and coming for a couple of hours here and there. They don't spend what the one timers do and unless the world economy falls flat they have plenty of those.

I'm also convinced that Disney also managed to drive off a lot of the 'full price' AP' users as well, Which may have sent up a flare 'hey these long term non-locals are ALSO NOT COMING BACK"

JohnD

Hope this is true. You say numbers in renewals are declining. Also, if responses on this forum are any indication, people are also downgrading, which means spending less. What WDW should do is offer all the current passes but with PhotoPass not already included, meaning Gold and above would have reduced prices. Then offer PhotoPass as an optional add-in at less than the regular price.

I noticed that unlimited downloads (Memory Maker) costs $169. If just $100 was removed from the regular price and used as the cost of the add-in for unlimited downloads, there might be more of an incentive for people to purchase the passes. My guess is you'll see fewer PhotoPass purchases if this is done but, taken as a whole, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a net increase in profits to WDW because of a lower pass price.

In other words, prices including tax:
  • Silver: $414.29 (no change)
    Christmas/Holiday, Easter, and Summer blocked out

• Gold: $584.69 - 100 = $484.69
    Christmas/Holiday and Easter blocked out

• Platinum: $691.19 - 100 = $591.19
    No block out dates

• Platinum Plus: $776.39 - 100 = $676.39
    No block out dates plus water parks, golf courses, and ESPN complex
PhotoPass add-in: $100

Last edited:

Sonconato

Just got into the website finally, I can confirm that you get the renewal price even if you downgrade. We're at Platinum right now and plan to go down to Silver next year - price including tax came to $351.45 per pass. We realized we weren't really going to the parks on the busy days anyway and, if we really want to go to the water parks, you can actually add the water park annual pass much cheaper than going all the way up to the Platinum Plus. We'll probably just fork up $40 and get a parking pass to Daytona Beach though.

I held back from actually renewing (confirming the order) just in case something unexpected comes up. I don't see them raising prices again before our deadline.
That's good to know, especially since we've been getting varied answers from Disney themselves. My husband had emailed Disney a few days ago to see what they had to say via email...still haven't heard back. We're going to continue asking to see if we continue to get varied answers. He also realized that we're the only family left in his small office that has APs...there used to be 5 families. Some stopped and some decided to get Universal APs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom