PHOTOS - Meet Mary Poppins in the new Main Street Plaza Gardens at the Magic Kingdom

ABQ

My favourite impromptu meet and greet with Ms Poppins took place backstage where she was very unhappy that the stairway to the utilidors was blocked leading down from behind Main Street Fashion and Apparel; boy oh boy could she have used a spoonful of sugar.

Sped2424

This is a brilliant daytime use for this area, hopefully more characters will join her. One of the things DL does that I miss at WDW is have the characters out and about vs tucked away indoors with lines at WDW. Invest in a few big umbrellas and set the characters free WDW.
No please no umbrella's needed in this area at all. You wan't to have something truly special? Let mary walk around the gardens as guests relax in them regardless. Having a meet and greet right in front of the castle with lines just seems tacky to me and takes away from the beauty that is the garden area. Meet and greets need to be tucked in corners when there is a line to them, only have characters out and about if they can be out and about.

brb1006

This is another reason why I love the expansion near Cinderella Castle in the new Main Street Plaza Gardens. It's a perfect area for meet and greets for various Disney characters from west and east.

Jon81uk

No please no umbrella's needed in this area at all. You wan't to have something truly special? Let mary walk around the gardens as guests relax in them regardless. Having a meet and greet right in front of the castle with lines just seems tacky to me and takes away from the beauty that is the garden area. Meet and greets need to be tucked in corners when there is a line to them, only have characters out and about if they can be out and about.

Unfortuantly, as I learnt at Disneyland Paris,meet & greets without a line don't work. It just ends up being a scrum of pushy parents attempting to get photos.

WDWLover#1

Unfortuantly, as I learnt at Disneyland Paris,meet & greets without a line don't work. It just ends up being a scrum of pushy parents attempting to get photos.
Yep. The problem at DLP is that the attendant just stands there and lets everyone get on with it. To the British it's infuriating as we like a good queue. The French don't know how to it seems.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Do people nauturally form some kind of line (like in the picture of Mary Poppins) or just first to the front wins, but in a slightly politer way?
In my experience at DL, there just isn't the same level of demand for meet and greets. I saw Mickey and Minnie in Town Square with basically no queue. People would just walk up, grab a pic, and leave. The lower demand seemed to make it possible. At WDW it would be chaos.

DisneyOutsider

They work at Disneyland in California.

That's not what my experience has been at all. A given character may not be adhering to a set schedule of time and place, but wherever they pop up, that's where the line forms.

If a character ever appears to be just roaming, it's because they're either headed backstage to get a break, or headed to a specific place in the park that they have in mind. I think maybe less popular characters can get away with interacting in a more roaming, free-wheeling fashion, but for most characters to do something like that would make nobody happy.

Just my observations.

HolleBolleGijs

Problem at DLP is that the CMs (if they're even there) make no effort to form an orderly line, and on more than one occasion I've been told that the character gets to pick the next guest. It just ends up being a mob of people. "Impromptu" M&Gs don't have to be a lineless throng; they can work as long as the CMs have the proper training and the right policies are in place.

Kevin_W

We met Mary in this location with no wait in early August - it was quite pleasant. We also met Snow White in the East garden right after the block party bash (or whatever it's name now is) with no wait. Both are very nice locations.

Magenta Panther

I kind of wish Mary would appear in her dark coat and hat and umbrella - her nanny outfit - rather than her Jolly Holiday outfit. I suppose the former would be too hot for the Florida sun or something?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom