Disney begins sales of new 5 million dollar 'Four Seasons Private Residences' at Golden Oak

COProgressFan

You are right about the construction methods and advances in technology.

I guess I am more philosophical about it in the long run.

I cannot put my finger on exactly why, but so much about this Golden Oak project just strikes me as cold and wrong. I do know that the Monticello and Graceland visits did remind me that so much about a "mansion" and intrinsic value of anything as a thing of value is inherently guided by our notion of importance. This much is true.

But beyond that I think there is something more haunting me about Golden Oak. I don't know if it is more that it seems so crass or that it goes so far against what Disney has so long stood far. Yes, Disney World has long been a moneymaking machine, and even had overpriced hotels, and even lately has slipped in service (bringing the value of the hotels somewhat into question), but has also always been ostensibly about the dreams and aspirations of common folks. It is hardly ever about the prince -- unless the prince (or king or queen) needed to learn to be humble. And the parks and resorts, while sometimes pushing the limits on expense for "normal" people, have also remained in most ways accessible.

So, maybe that is part of it. But something makes this whole project to me come up feeling that it is very cold. I am not sure I would ever care to live there, even if I were a billionaire.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, and put into words what many of us have been feeling but couldn't exactly pinpoint why.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom