'Homecoming - Florida Kitchen and Southern Shine' coming to Disney Springs Summer 2016

No Name

This really does look good.

Steve, compared to the openings of other Disney Springs restaurants (since you have been to quite a few!) or other restaurants like Tiffins... Was it crowded?

I am wondering because, as great as all of these new restaurants sound, I am worried as to whether they can all survive. Are there enough guests (who aren't eating in the parks, hotels, or elsewhere) to keep them all in business? I guess time will tell. Though I wonder what you or anyone else reading this thinks.

I hope all of these restaurants are successful, because they certainly deserve to be. At least in terms of quality. My fear is that if they are not successful, they will start using cheaper ingredients and processes to have better margins, and as a result, the overall quality will go down. Or, at worst, the least successful ones will shut their doors.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This really does look good.

Steve, compared to the openings of other Disney Springs restaurants (since you have been to quite a few!) or other restaurants like Tiffins... Was it crowded?

I am wondering because, as great as all of these new restaurants sound, I am worried as to whether they can all survive. Are there enough guests (who aren't eating in the parks, hotels, or elsewhere) to keep them all in business? I guess time will tell. Though I wonder what you or anyone else reading this thinks.

I hope all of these restaurants are successful, because they certainly deserve to be. At least in terms of quality. My fear is that if they are not successful, they will start using cheaper ingredients and processes to have better margins, and as a result, the overall quality will go down. Or, at worst, the least successful ones will shut their doors.
Disney had a lot of data on restaurant demand. Prior to Disney Springs, DTD dining was a mess during evenings. Lines were constantly out of the door, and wait times were 60 mins plus for most places.

They have addressed that with the number of restaurants, and factored in increase demand from the larger guest numbers expected at DS vs DTD.

We'll see, but I think they have it right. I also expect to see the DS restaurants taking business away from the park and resort restaurants.

flyerjab

Disney had a lot of data on restaurant demand. Prior to Disney Springs, DTD dining was a mess during evenings. Lines were constantly out of the door, and wait times were 60 mins plus for most places.

They have addressed that with the number of restaurants, and factored in increase demand from the larger guest numbers expected at DS vs DTD.

We'll see, but I think they have it right. I also expect to see the DS restaurants taking business away from the park and resort restaurants.

I have to agree with you on this regarding the transformation of DTD into DS. I can't say enough about what they have done regarding restaurants, as well as the ambiance that has been created surrounding the Springs.

DTD was never a place that we felt we had to go to during a trip to WDW. First off, we are not big shoppers of merchandise so that was never anything that we were into. And the restaurant offerings up until recently were either 'meh', or places we would never go into, like the T-Rex Cafe (and we have 3 kids). Now, we go to DS multiple times just to eat and enjoy the Landing, Springs and Marketplace. But the selection of new restaurants has really impacted how we organize our trips. We never ever miss going to The Boathouse when we go. The only meal I had there that I did not enjoy was the shrimp and grits, and that is because I pretty much have never developed a taste for grits. Eating outside for dinner with all the classic boats as the sun sets provides for a beautiful dining experience. Another place that we have gone to multiple times is Morimoto's Asia. It is stunning from an aesthetic point of view and the food is excellent. Add to that STK, Jock's, Raglan Road, Frontera Cocina, D-Luxe Burger, Blaze Pizza, Art Smith's, the new kiosk options, and the soon to open Edison, Neverland Tunnels and Walt's Place, and it becomes a true destination. And all of the new locations have been great adds, to the point that Fulton's and Planet Hollywood are forced to shutdown and be re-imagined. I also have to add the flagship Starbuck's, as visiting late in the year, getting a coffee and sitting on the back porch to enjoy the view and relax is such a nice break in the day.

And with the new parking and road improvements that have been made, I don't see that going to DS by resort bus will be a hassle. I don't think that it is now but that is just me. We will be in WDW for the next week and a half and a trip to Art Smith's is already in our itinerary, along with STK and The Boathouse. With all of the complaints regarding dining options in some of the parks, I think that the growth of DS into a culinary location provides a great option for resort guests.

ToTBellHop

PhotoDave219

Looking at it from different prospective, thanks for clearing up yours. I'm proud of our states agriculture, but now understand your point

I'm a big believer in supporting local businesses, local farms, and local agriculture. I will go out of my way to give them money instead of a chain.

I hate it when restaurants misrepresent themselves and a lot in the area have.

kelknight84

We had the pleasure of eating here last night. Everything was amazing! Wife got the fried chicken sandwich which was super yummy. I got the bbq pork plate which was good and was accompanied by some perfect mac and cheese. The best part of the meal was the pimento cheese hush puppies. They were spectacular! It was a little pricey though...

But the best part......Art Smith was actually there and came and chatted with us at the end to make sure everything was good!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Still not able to book ADR's online, so at the website's urging, I called 407-WDW-DINE.

The eager, but not altogether helpful gal I spoke with told me she didn't think it was open yet, "perhaps later this summer".

Umm no, it's open, could you please check. My desired date was 9/15, and the only ressie available is 4:05. Pass. I was willing to switch dates, but there is zero availability on the other two dates she checked for me.

I'm just going to have to keep checking online. It should hit the system soon, no?

Jon81uk

Still not able to book ADR's online, so at the website's urging, I called 407-WDW-DINE.

The eager, but not altogether helpful gal I spoke with told me she didn't think it was open yet, "perhaps later this summer".

Umm no, it's open, could you please check. My desired date was 9/15, and the only ressie available is 4:05. Pass. I was willing to switch dates, but there is zero availability on the other two dates she checked for me.

I'm just going to have to keep checking online. It should hit the system soon, no?

Their Facebook page says reservations just opened https://www.facebook.com/homecoming....1073741828.979958025395886/1128106580581029/

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom