New traffic light system coming to World Drive near the Magic Kingdom auto plaza

PhotoDave219

Yeah I'm wondering if the accidents will switch to the FW side instead since that direction has always been a "turn and go and not even look" direction.
Im thinking more red light runners, tourists not even paying attention and hitting stopped cars.... traffic backing up through the toll plaza at peak hours....

Traffic light is the "quick fix"... the intersection needs a good redesign. It simply was not meant to handle the kind of traffic it does.

Unplugged

Im thinking more red light runners, tourists not even paying attention and hitting stopped cars.... traffic backing up through the toll plaza at peak hours....

Traffic light is the "quick fix"... the intersection needs a good redesign. It simply was not meant to handle the kind of traffic it does.

Agreed. From the way things sounded regarding the raceway becoming more parking lot, I got the impression that the "classic" MK booths, the split to that intersection and the parking access roads would all get a re-work. If they can find a way to get more cars in faster, so the guests spend money, then get them out faster so CMs work fewer hours saving money, I can ensure it will get done.

Marlins1

I really hope the planned changes include a direct path on World Drive for buses and cars leaving MK or Contemporary. The current route with a right turn past TTC and Poly then Floridian way around the whole parking lot adds time and mileage to so many routes. Not sure if they can move the entrance booths and just add a lane or need a flyover but either way the transportation improvement would be huge.

BJones82

Actually... there's a lot on these forums that do. We've got several engineers on here.

I for one would rather them build it right the first time.

The idea that you build a road system and 30 years later shouldn't have to fix it or upgrade it isn't engineering.... It's just not realistic... Roads don't last that long, they built the roads to handle a good load but to not expect them to have to spend money on upkeep or upgrades down the road just doesn't seem realistic...

PhotoDave219

The idea that you build a road system and 30 years later shouldn't have to fix it or upgrade it isn't engineering.... It's just not realistic... Roads don't last that long, they built the roads to handle a good load but to not expect them to have to spend money on upkeep or upgrades down the road just doesn't seem realistic...

Explain that to the spreadsheet wizards who run the company.....

Next Big Thing

Agreed. From the way things sounded regarding the raceway becoming more parking lot, I got the impression that the "classic" MK booths, the split to that intersection and the parking access roads would all get a re-work. If they can find a way to get more cars in faster, so the guests spend money, then get them out faster so CMs work fewer hours saving money, I can ensure it will get done.
Really you can't realistically upkeep a park like MK or any WDW park from one day to the next and expect to cut the hours after park close. Do supervisors try to get you out as fast as possible? Sure. But the work has to be fully done before that's "possible", which is, in some positions, an hour to an hour and a half after closing. There's no money they can save money on CM's doing any work like this.

There's some corners you just can't cut.

Unplugged

You make it sound like spending money so we can get in and out of the parks in a more efficient manor is a bad thing.... Why does everyone hate infrastructure so much!?!

I don't hate infrastructure at all. In fact, I think a proper clean-up and modernization of that area is a great idea. I simply acknowledge how big business operate. Most won't spend money because they can, they will simply spend it when it's identified as required and they can justify it. My comments targeted what it would take for them to spend in this situation. The stop light investment was to reduce liability through safety, commendable but realistically required.

I'm all good with it.

Unplugged

Really you can't realistically upkeep a park like MK or any WDW park from one day to the next and expect to cut the hours after park close. Do supervisors try to get you out as fast as possible? Sure. But the work has to be fully done before that's "possible", which is, in some positions, an hour to an hour and a half after closing. There's no money they can save money on CM's doing any work like this.

There's some corners you just can't cut.

I get what you're saying, so no worries, but I think too much was read into my statements. I was referring to the fact that if the parking lot is emptied efficiently, then the possibility exists that the same man hours may not be required as assigned to traffic flow and such. I realize CMs in the parks are a completely different topic. No harm, no foul. :)

Next Big Thing

I get what you're saying, so no worries, but I think too much was read into my statements. I was referring to the fact that if the parking lot is emptied efficiently, then the possibility exists that the same man hours may not be required as assigned to traffic flow and such. I realize CMs in the parks are a completely different topic. No harm, no foul. :)
I think traffic flow CMs will always be necessary because people are stupid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom