TriceraTop Spin closing for refurbishment next week

RSoxNo1

they should tear down dinoland usa
People need to understand the difference between Dinorama and Dinoland USA... Dinorama is bad... Dinoland USA is good. I'm not a fan of the carnival games, but I really think the big problem is Primeval Whirl... make that a C ticket family friendly dark ride and no one really complains about Dinorama.

ToTBellHop

People need to understand the difference between Dinorama and Dinoland USA... Dinorama is bad... Dinoland USA is good. I'm not a fan of the carnival games, but I really think the big problem is Primeval Whirl... make that a C ticket family friendly dark ride and no one really complains about Dinorama.
Agreed. I don't inherently dislike Top Spin. It's a classic Disney ride type. Hell, enclose Primeval Whirl, add music and paint everything with black light paint and it would go a long way.

Fox&Hound

Why is this ride vehicle not a pterodactyl?????????? It has never made sense to me. Man I hate this corner of the park with a passion.

On a side note, why not add some cool dinosaur AA's or statues off in the distance of the area so you feel like you are walking into the past. Everything looks so shiny and plastic. Ugh....

RSoxNo1

Agreed. I don't inherently dislike Top Spin. It's a classic Disney ride type. Hell, enclose Primeval Whirl, add music and paint everything with black light paint and it would go a long way.
I initially thought that, but the ride is juts downright awful. No amount of theming is going to make it a good ride.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Sorry, not buying it either. Like other people said, Disney can spin as much back story as they want. The land is cheap and built on the cheap. Read about the excessive budget cuts made to AK and you'll realize that Dinoland was built in a rush job.
I'm well aware. Just saying, there's a reason why it looks the way it does. Part of it is cuts (the original ride planned there would have made Indy look like Small World). But, once they came up with this convoluted story, they ran with it.

Fox&Hound

I'm well aware. Just saying, there's a reason why it looks the way it does. Part of it is cuts (the original ride planned there would have made Indy look like Small World). But, once they came up with this convoluted story, they ran with it.

Haha- I agree =) Yeah, I wish we could have seen some of the original plans come to fruition too. And I agree with you, Disney certainly ran with it.

Bairstow

Sorry, not buying it either. Like other people said, Disney can spin as much back story as they want. The land is cheap and built on the cheap. Read about the excessive budget cuts made to AK and you'll realize that Dinoland was built in a rush job.

What is there not to "buy"?

Just because less money was spent on Dino-Rama than the rest of the land, and you don't like it, doesn't mean that the themeing wasn't intentional.

You can not like a land and it still have cohesive themeing.
These are not mutually-exclusive situations.

doctornick

That backstory still doesn't quite fit in as you have the boneyard feature that looks very well themed and more aligned with a theme park experience geared towards children. The other rides look like they were quickly copied and built on the cheap. I really don't like seeing a ride that I went on first at Busch Gardens for the Olympics being used as a permanent attraction. One of my least favorite at AK.

I don't think the Boneyard is part of Donorama (i.e. the midway run by Chester and Hester). The Boneyard is an "actual" dig site manged by the archaeologists who run the Dino Institute.

Fox&Hound

What is there not to "buy"?

Just because less money was spent on Dino-Rama than the rest of the land, and you don't like it, doesn't mean that the themeing wasn't intentional.

You can not like a land and it still have cohesive themeing.
These are not mutually-exclusive situations.

Hey I'm not trying to offend anyone =) Personally, I don't think Dinoland USA is Disney at their best. I think it was phoned-in when Disney decided to slash their budget for AK. They had a land that needed more to do so they threw in some cheap carnival rides and THEN created a back story to support their decision. I personally don't believe that Dinoland USA was their true vision/concept for the prehistoric section of AK. I guess I'm trying to say that to me it does not seem intentional. It seems like they created a mess of a land and then tried to explain it to the customers.

punkabella

I don't think the Boneyard is part of Donorama (i.e. the midway run by Chester and Hester). The Boneyard is an "actual" dig site manged by the archaeologists who run the Dino Institute.

But isn't that all part of Dinoland? That is what I was thinking. I didn't realize that Dinorama and Dinoland USA were two different, but equal lands of AK. I wasn't thinking of Dinorama as a "land" within a "land" within Animal Kingdom. I just thought everything to do with Dinosaurs in that part of AK was Dinoland..

CaptainAmerica

But isn't that all part of Dinoland? That is what I was thinking. I didn't realize that Dinorama and Dinoland USA were two different, but equal lands of AK. I wasn't thinking of Dinorama as a "land" within a "land" within Animal Kingdom. I just thought everything to do with Dinosaurs in that part of AK was Dinoland..
You're correct.

jakeman

Hey I'm not trying to offend anyone =) Personally, I don't think Dinoland USA is Disney at their best. I think it was phoned-in when Disney decided to slash their budget for AK. They had a land that needed more to do so they threw in some cheap carnival rides and THEN created a back story to support their decision. I personally don't believe that Dinoland USA was their true vision/concept for the prehistoric section of AK. I guess I'm trying to say that to me it does not seem intentional. It seems like they created a mess of a land and then tried to explain it to the customers.
The back story was in place well before Dinorama exist.

It's a great story once you know what it is, but they do a poor job of communicating it. That was compounded by not giving Dinorama the means to tell the second part of the story effectively.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
It's a great story once you know what it is, but they do a poor job of communicating it. That was compounded by not giving Dinorama the means to tell the second part of the story effectively.

I agree. I knew that there was a back story, but didn't really know what it was. After looking into it, you can see the details that they put into the whole area to make it tie together.

Whether or not it belongs in Animal Kingdom, that's another (back) story.

doctornick

That's correct: Dinorama is a part of the greater Dinoland USA land. I am saying that The Boneyard (the kiddie play area) isn't part of Dinorama, but is part of Dinoland USA.

flyerjab

No offense taken from anyone (I would hope). You are a good poster and also honest, but you are never rude in anyway. But I think that most people on here know that.

The more I visit, I actually find that I have less and less of an issue with the Dinoland USA/ carnival area. Again, I find the theming spot on. But for those that were aware of concepts for another incredible E-Ticket coaster for this section but were given this instead, well, they will obviously be disappointed. This is another real big section for kids, and my 3 have always liked it. We were there for almost an hour last week, and didn't even ride Dinosaur or go in the actual boneyard play area. The place was packed too, but then again all of DAK seemed stuffed to the gills on Saturday.

My hope has always been that they removed the Nemo show and replaced it with that traveling Walking with Dinosaurs show. That show is very impressive and I would think that it would really help improve the dinosaur area of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom