Walt Disney World Railroad closing for 5 week refurbishment in late September

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Nov. 17. The construction scrims around the two small track-side buildings across from the Fantasyland train station have been removed, revealing the refurbished buildings. The rails that were along the tracks between here and Space Mountain are gone now.

IMG_6833.JPG

Andrew M

Photo update as of Tuesday, Nov. 17. The construction scrims around the two small track-side buildings across from the Fantasyland train station have been removed, revealing the refurbished buildings. The rails that were along the tracks between here and Space Mountain are gone now.

View attachment 119615
Yes, saw that Wednesday night but couldn't grab a photo of them. Looks nice. Also saw some track equipment adjacent to Big Thunder during the day. So weird to see rust on the rails at Disney!!

Disone

No Lilly when I was there this past week. Only 2 were running. Walter E and Roy O. Did not see Roger or Lilly.

I can say with 100% certainty that Roger is still present and in use. Typically they only run two of the three they have, but on busy days they will run all three. The Fourth Engine, which was #2 Lilly, is still officially part of the fleet, but clearly she has not been present on property for years. IMO, with each passing day, it is exponentially less likely of her return to service. Sadly, I have given up on ever seeing her again.

Currently MK has:
#1 Walter E. Disney,
#3 Roger E. Broggie
#4 Roy O. Disney

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

How do they do the welcome show when they train is being refurbished?

They do the same welcome show with some differences. I have seen both version with and without train. Personally, I love the train one the best.
If the train is not operational:
The Mayor or Fire Chief comes out and starts the show. The Trolly singers then come out and sign "Good Morning To You". Then if no train, Mickey and the gang with the Family of the day come out and walk across the tracks to the railing and open the park. A CM sets up a walkway that spans the exposed tracks like a gangway prior to show start.

If the train is operational:
The Mayor or Fire Chief comes out and starts the show. The Trolly singers then come out and sign "Good Morning To You". Then "Casey Jr." song starts and steam train pulls into the station with Mickey and the gang along with the Family of the day. The exit the train towards the railing and open the park with small fireworks.

Either way it an awesome way to start your day. In my opinion it is the best welcome show Disney does that I know of.
Each of the other parks do a rope drop ceremony as well but not as grand in my view. In some of the parks, DL included they let you walk down to the hub even before the park opens to where their rope drop ceremony starts.

MK is unique in that you cannot even enter the tunnels until the show is over. They keep everyone corralled in the entrance plaza between the turnstiles and the tunnels. Unless of course you have an early morning breakfast reservation in the park. They will let those guests in for that.

I think I am going to try a breakfast reservation in the park in January just so I can experience all the guests rushing into the park. Plus cool pics of the park mostly empty.

I have also been there on at least one occasion where they did not do any welcome show at park open. That was a bummer.

Disone

No. From a MK Manager neighbor an internal announcement is saying a return to service for guests on Saturday Nov. 21 but a delay is possible due to delayed testing by train crews. A safety requirement.

I am going to second this. It was suppose to be back today, the 20th, but today, I noticed the only fired up one steam engine. There is no way they are going to run the line with only one train, as they would mean 20 minute intervals between train departures at each station. Can you imagine waiting 20 minutes for the next train??? no thank you:) So I assume the one train on the line is testing everything. I suppose it possible they could fire up another one later in the afternoon, but more likely to me, is they fired up one for testing today and tomorrow they will return to normal operations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom