American Music Machine acapella group debuts at Epcot's American Adventure Pavilion

doctornick

How can folks here on one hand complain that World Showcase has stagnated while on the other complaining that old acts were removed to make way for new ones?

This. There was a lot of consternation when we heard about older acts being let go, but it seems that overall TDO has maintained the same amount of acts. In doing so, they also have freshening things up in WS with new performers.

Admittedly, I've yet to see any of the new acts live, but from the videos it looks to me like they have done a nice job in bringing some variety and adding new dynamics to the WS.

bhg469

How can folks here on one hand complain that World Showcase has stagnated while on the other complaining that old acts were removed to make way for new ones? Fife and Drum was fun but I'm sure this will attract a far larger crowd (with shade to boot). Recent moves suggest Disney views World Showcase as evolving into a more contemporary depiction of each nation, not a museum. I don't think that's a bad thing. Plus, old school tends to stagnate as there is no impetus to update it. It's old. Contemporary offerings continually change. I'd love to see acts all around World Showcase continually change. It's a relatively easy (and smart) way to increase capacity in the park, give guests more to do (and new things to do), and it keeps the park fresh. Win on all counts. For the die hards, it's not too hard to find a local fife and drum corps performance. They come to every major event in my town. A capella groups? Less so. Flag wavers? No way. Authentic Moroccan band? No way. British folk band? No way. I enjoy that Epcot now has entertainment that I can't see at home. I look forward to the next Canadian act...surely they will learn their lesson from the lumberjack fail. That said, bringing in 5 new acts in the last year of which 4 are great is not a bad record.
Stop!
People were upset that they took arguably the most popular entertainers in World showcase and replaced them with Chainsaws. The fife and drum act was pretty traditional and people were sad to see people that worked there so long, go away. The candy lady was also sorely missed because she was quite an artist.

Most people here aren't showing any double standards, they are justifiably upset at the seemingly lack of direction Epcot has been taking. This is a positive change... No one seems to be upset with it. This also doesn't mean Disney isnt being cheap. These singers werent a band brought in by disney, they seem to be built by Disney. They are definitely no world class singing group and there were some cringe worthy pitch issues but its better than nothing.

ToTBellHop

This. There was a lot of consternation when we heard about older acts being let go, but it seems that overall TDO has maintained the same amount of acts. In doing so, they also have freshening things up in WS with new performers.

Admittedly, I've yet to see any of the new acts live, but from the videos it looks to me like they have done a nice job in bringing some variety and adding new dynamics to the WS.
Indeed. I'm sure most people will enjoy some of the new acts and not others, but that's fine. That's the appeal of World Showcase. Tons of entertainment and dining so everyone can find something that they like and an overall experience that is "only at Disney."

dreamscometrue

"American Music Machine is the latest new act to open after a large reshuffle of Epcot live entertainment. Fife and Drum Corp, Mo'Rockin, Off Kilter and World Showcase Players were all closed to make way for the new acts. In addition to American Music Machine, Epcot has recently seen the introduction of the Canadian Lumberjacks, Sbandieratori Di Sansepolcro, Paul McKenna Band, B'net Al Houwariyate, and the Mexican Marimba Trio."

So we've actually, if we go back to last October, lost 4 acts and gained 5? That is surprising. Can't speak for the quality (since I haven't seen them), but at least in terms of quantity I guess it turned out OK.

I will never complain about changing things up every so often. One thing that people really dislike on here, myself included, is the parks becoming stale. I'm sure it's a difficult balancing act for TDO between keeping things fresh, and alienating fans by replacing classics. How long do you keep an act or attraction? 5 years? 10 years? 25 years? Forever? Although I absolutely loved Off Kilter (and do not at all like the new show at the Mill Stage), and Mo' Rockin', they were both there for years, so a change to keep things fresh and different is okay. Even if I don't like all the new entertainment as much, some others might, and at least they are trying to mix it up. Bravo!

ToTBellHop

Stop!
People were upset that they took arguably the most popular entertainers in World showcase and replaced them with Chainsaws. The fife and drum act was pretty traditional and people were sad to see people that worked there so long, go away. The candy lady was also sorely missed because she was quite an artist.

Most people here aren't showing any double standards, they are justifiably upset at the seemingly lack of direction Epcot has been taking. This is a positive change... No one seems to be upset with it. This also doesn't mean Disney isnt being cheap. These singers werent a band brought in by disney, they seem to be built by Disney. They are definitely no world class singing group and there were some cringe worthy pitch issues but its better than nothing.
All I read is "complain. complain. complain."

I obviously agree with you on Canada's entertainment. Fife and drum was old. The candy lady quit because she didn't find the job satisfying anymore. Others were let go. This is how entertainment works. And I'm sure the entertainers understand and understood that. Not every show stays on Broadway indefinitely.

Kudos to the new performers. I'm sure the old ones have landed on their feet.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Stop!

It is my understanding that Miyuki retired and was not a result of the budget cuts.

bhg469

It is my understanding that Miyuki retired and was not a result of the budget cuts.
Then I retract that portion of my rant. :) She was fantastic. These kids are good but something is off and again I will have to hear it in person but the mixing or their level of talent isnt amazing. Its just new and pretty good entertainment. It does not feature Disney characters so it automatically a win for real world showcase fans.

ToTBellHop

Then I retract that portion of my rant. :) She was fantastic. These kids are good but something is off and again I will have to hear it in person but the mixing or their level of talent isnt amazing. Its just new and pretty good entertainment. It does not feature Disney characters so it automatically a win for real world showcase fans.
They apparently sound much better in person. Unfortunately, the acoustics in an outdoor theater will never be as good as the rotunda in the American Adventure that was specifically designed to carry the singers' voices.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
She was incredible and is missed by me and my family a great deal. If we were in Epcot and she was performing we saw her at least once without fail.

I will give the group a little time before I pass judgement. I noticed the pitch problem you mentioned, but this was one of their first performances and on YouTube no less. I have yet to see one Disney group hit it out of their park on the first try. If they still can't hit notes correctly in a few weeks then we might have a problem.

GrumpyFan

I will give the group a little time before I pass judgement. I noticed the pitch problem you mentioned, but this was one of their first performances and on YouTube no less. I have yet to see one Disney group hit it out of their park on the first try. If they still can't hit notes correctly in a few weeks then we might have a problem.

Agreed, give them a little time. Seemed to me like they were a little nervous/jittery, rushing in a few places, and maybe over-doing it at times; the kind of things I would expect to see/hear on a first performance. The mix of songs was quite eclectic though, like they're trying to reach multiple generations and genres.

bhg469

I love the people complaining about complaining when no one in this thread is complaining about this addition.

Geez.
I dont want anything nice!!! I have been coming here for over a decade and pretending to love Disney world for a majority of that time only to watch the world burn!! Im kind of like the joker.

How can folks here on one hand complain that World Showcase has stagnated while on the other complaining that old acts were removed to make way for new ones? Fife and Drum was fun but I'm sure this will attract a far larger crowd (with shade to boot). Recent moves suggest Disney views World Showcase as evolving into a more contemporary depiction of each nation, not a museum. I don't think that's a bad thing. Plus, old school tends to stagnate as there is no impetus to update it. It's old. Contemporary offerings continually change. I'd love to see acts all around World Showcase continually change. It's a relatively easy (and smart) way to increase capacity in the park, give guests more to do (and new things to do), and it keeps the park fresh. Win on all counts. For the die hards, it's not too hard to find a local fife and drum corps performance. They come to every major event in my town. A capella groups? Less so. Flag wavers? No way. Authentic Moroccan band? No way. British folk band? No way. I enjoy that Epcot now has entertainment that I can't see at home. I look forward to the next Canadian act...surely they will learn their lesson from the lumberjack fail. That said, bringing in 5 new acts in the last year of which 4 are great is not a bad record.
No complaints here, just sad to see good things go as they're replaced by their updated counterparts. That's not an unusual thing. I still miss the old test track, but I still ride it quite happily. I'm more than willing to make my own opinion when I see them in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom