Upgraded Wi-Fi service rolled out across all four parks this week

dannyboyindc

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

If not- you do realize that you don't need 18mb/s speed to tweet or text- and that you could have done it just as easily with the old wifi?
"Disney has good news? Not in this house- I won't allow it!" :banghead:

Relax. Yes, they could of done it with the old wifi too (and they do/did, that's beside the point)...but the faster and more reliable the connection, the more it encourages this. I also did say it was awesome. And finally, my post got more likes than yours. dannyboyindc out.

BrightLights

How has the wireless at the resorts been lately? When I was there last it was completely unusable across most of the building I want in at Port Orleans Riverside

(and no, this isn't my first post. new account :happy:)

roj2323

The wifi network was installed by Crown Castle btw. A google search turned up plenty of results with direct proof but the most notable was a guy's resume so I figured it wouldn't be a good idea to post that.

DisneyGentleman

Also, a friendly reminder, checking your emails on the non-encrypted link may not be the best thing. I usually avoid checking bank and credit cards when on open wifi, but that is just being extra cautious. Almost all of those should be SSL encrypted but why take the risk?
Unfortunately this is not just being extra cautious. With all the careless vacationers using open wifi, it will become open season on personal information. It's only a matter of time before we hear about the first major scam at WDW related to their open wifi network.

The smart money is on VPN to tunnel through the Disney cloud.

Advice to everyone - be very careful with any personal information on an open network. Hope is not a strategy.

JohnD

This is welcome news. The wireless was pretty much unusable in January.

You mean this? Good thing they upgraded.
receiver-1920-841.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So people complain when Disney doesn't fix things but when they do, they still complain? Why do people always have to complain? There's nothing wrong with Disney improving the Wi-Fi. They're not forcing people to use it....
Actually, by removing the existing wired options (even for a charge) from their rooms, they sortof are...

Especially for people who still need internet access on their trips (I do, for professional reasons, not to update my facebook)...

That said, while the Wifi was terrible on my 2011 and 2012 trips, in 2013, it wasn't bad at all. Not amazing, certainly not as good as the Disneyland Hotel (which had wireless AND wired options), but it worked well in the room, and most of the time around the parks, and did what I needed.

MissM

I didn't use the wifi a lot last night but I did have some really annoying dropoffs in my connection at MK when I did. It kept dropping me off wifi, then telling me wifi was available, then dropping it for "low connectivity." It was kinda annoying the few times I did try to use it. I've used wifi before without so much on-again/off-again so I'm not sure if it's Spring Break heavy usage or what. I've got a Galaxy S4 and it was kinda all over the place for me yesterday. *shrugs*

(I have unlimited data so I normally don't care if I'm on wifi or cell but I do have it saved as an autoconnect since wifi has previously always worked better inside show buildings for me vs cell signal.)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Why is WiFi even necessary at a theme park designed to take you away from the stress and strains of everyday life?

MissM

Why is WiFi even necessary at a theme park designed to take you away from the stress and strains of everyday life?
It is if you're trying to check/update your FP+ bookings. (Which can be argued ADD stress to a park experience depending on your opinion of booking attractions days/weeks in advance and then trying to make those plans work when you're actually there.)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It is if you're trying to check/update your FP+ bookings. (Which can be argued ADD stress to a park experience depending on your opinion of booking attractions days/weeks in advance and then trying to make those plans work when you're actually there.)
I'm not trying to argue this point, but don't hey have kiosks for that too?

I remember the days when there was no personal electronics needed while visiting WDW.

MissM

I'm not trying to argue this point, but don't hey have kiosks for that too?

I remember the days when there was no personal electronics needed while visiting WDW.
Very few. In Epcot for example, I believe there are only 2. And no one "needs" personal electronics, true. But with FP+ set up the way it is, it's significantly easier to do it via the app yourself rather than track down a kiosk and wait in a line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom