Walt Disney World Resort agrees multi-year sponsorship deal with new MLS team Orlando City Soccer

PhotoDave219

Great...give the Brazilians just another reason to flood the area.

They'll come anyways.
This is a very savvy move by WDW. Pretty safe bet that this club will grow into something big, especially with a HUGE soccer name in Kaka being a big part of the club. Very interested to see where this goes.

Oh that guy? He seemed pretty quiet and unassuming.

Anyways, this seems very similar to the move they made in advertising with the Orlando Magic all these years.
It's cool to make fun of soccer, right?! Right?!

#dumb

I can continue to make fun of how the league owns all the teams and the financial aspect of it, right? The latest CBA isnt going to attract lots of marquee players or build the league into something to compete with EPL.
Yeah because ties are awesome!!!!!

Ties are fascist. Shootouts are boing. Play until you win.

I probably know more about soccer than you do. I've actually been to games at Old Trafford. It was a joke about the relative "minor league" nature of the MLS.

#uptight

That is the problem. Thats how the league is perceived. While they have a few marquee players, the talent level isn't quite there. Deadspin broke all this down in examining the new CBA and how it will leave them mired in mediocrity unless things change.

Exactly. I've never played hockey before, like the VAST majority of people paying to see NHL games. I grew up watching it, but have never even lived in a place where anyone plays hockey. The shootout makes a regular season game much more enjoyable. It doesn't affect the normal match at all. It's an add-on that's very exciting and brings a resolution to the game.

I find it meaningless and boring. Now 5 overtimes? Thats exciting. (See Also "5/4/2000, Philadelphia 2, Pittsburgh 1 (5OT)")

Arthur Wellesley

In Seattle, the MLS team outdraws the MLB team (~44K per game to ~24K per game)
Baseball is on the decline. :( MLB is finally beginning to take measures in an attempt to bring interest back to the game from young fans. This season will mark the first time a time clock is used to *try* to shorten MLB games...we'll see how that goes. There are even talks of eventually shortening the season; making each individual game mean a tad more. But overall, you can feel the worry coming from the head offices. Thanks to Baby Boomers, the sport still draws decent attendance, although decreasing. But what MLB worries the most about are the college-aged & younger fans (or should I say, lack there of), and what it means for the sport 20 to 30 years down the road. Of course, as a fan of the sport myself, I surely hope when that time comes I am proven wrong on every word I've just said. One can hope. But as for the way things are going now, let's hope the younger fans start gaining interest in the sport soon.

Dice50

Good for football in the states but until the quality of play improves and the MLS stops being known as a retirement league (Kaka, Gerrard, Beckham), the MLS will never be that popular.

I see more EPL games on TV than I see Revolution games which is only an hour from my house.

You're what we refer to as a Eurosnob - a soccer fan who chooses to watch games in another country over a team in their own community, it's sad. Kaka is still part of the Brazilian national team, Beckham was 31 when he came and still a very large part of the English national team. Is MLS as good as the EPL? No, but it's not vastly inferior. The best MLS teams can and do beat EPL teams on occasion, the main difference is between the top 5 EPL teams and everyone else, including other EPL teams.

Dice50

Baseball is on the decline. :( MLB is finally beginning to take measures in an attempt to bring interest back to the game from young fans. This season will mark the first time a time clock is used to *try* to shorten MLB games...we'll see how that goes. There are even talks of eventually shortening the season; making each individual game mean a tad more. But overall, you can feel the worry coming from the head offices. Thanks to Baby Boomers, the sport still draws decent attendance, although decreasing. But what MLB worries the most about are the college-aged & younger fans (or should I say, lack there of), and what it means for the sport 20 to 30 years down the road. Of course, as a fan of the sport myself, I surely hope when that time comes I am proven wrong on every word I've just said. One can hope. But as for the way things are going now, let's hope the younger fans start gaining interest in the sport soon.

I am a MLS fan first but also am a MLB fan (I'm 30). I think the decline of baseball is being exaggerated, I know in Dallas/FW where I live, there are way more MLB fans my age than MLS fans. If you look at total attendance MLB still dominates all other leagues. In 20-30 years, it probably won't be as big as it is now but I think it'll still be a big time sport in the US. However, I do think MLS could rise to the very top. I don't think the NFL is sustainable.

Communicore

Good for football in the states but until the quality of play improves and the MLS stops being known as a retirement league (Kaka, Gerrard, Beckham), the MLS will never be that popular.

I see more EPL games on TV than I see Revolution games which is only an hour from my house.
I agree. Retirement leagues are basically minor leagues, therefore the MLS is one.

Dice50

I agree. Retirement leagues are basically minor leagues, therefore the MLS is one.

Anyone who thinks MLS is a retirement league isn't knowledgeable about MLS. I think this perception comes from the average EPL fan who doesn't watch MLS but hears about someone like Gerrard or Lampard getting signed. Two points - Gerrard and Lampard are still great players in the EPL and we don't consider the EPL a retirement league so them moving to MLS while playing at the same level wouldn't make MLS a retirement league. My second point, is that for every Steven Gerrard signing there are about 30 players signed who are 18-23 who are of great quality.

Communicore

Anyone who thinks MLS is a retirement league isn't knowledgeable about MLS. I think this perception comes from the average EPL fan who doesn't watch MLS but hears about someone like Gerrard or Lampard getting signed. Two points - Gerrard and Lampard are still great players in the EPL and we don't consider the EPL a retirement league so them moving to MLS while playing at the same level wouldn't make MLS a retirement league. My second point, is that for every Steven Gerrard signing there are about 30 players signed who are 18-23 who are of great quality.
I will admit, I am not knowledgeable about the MLS. My impression is that star players in the twilight of their careers join an MLS team for one more huge pay day before retirement.

Dice50

I will admit, I am not knowledgeable about the MLS. My impression is that star players in the twilight of their careers join an MLS team for one more huge pay day before retirement.

I don't think you're completely wrong. I think what happens is, say you don't follow MLS that often, so you're not going to know about the average player who is 24 who isn't a well known star. However, when Henry or Lampard gets signed that is what makes the news, so that's generally all you hear about. So it's natural and understandable so start perceiving MLS as a league where player who are 35+ go to play before retiring. I think in the early years this was more true than now. Generally, the older players who MLS signs are closer to 31-33 so still close to their prime, or the ones who are 35+ are still really good, like Lampard. If you're a soccer fan, I encourage you to catch a MLS game sometime, the level of play had dramatically improved in recent years. It's not the EPL, but it's a really entertaining league with good players of quality.

DisneyOutsider

I find it meaningless and boring. Now 5 overtimes? Thats exciting. (See Also "5/4/2000, Philadelphia 2, Pittsburgh 1 (5OT)")

Multiple OT's in the playoffs are awesome, but NOBODY is watching the Lightning duel the Ducks 5 overtimes deep in January. Nobody. That's a lose-lose for everyone involved from the players to the fans to the TV networks.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I don't think you're completely wrong. I think what happens is, say you don't follow MLS that often, so you're not going to know about the average player who is 24 who isn't a well known star. However, when Henry or Lampard gets signed that is what makes the news, so that's generally all you hear about. So it's natural and understandable so start perceiving MLS as a league where player who are 35+ go to play before retiring. I think in the early years this was more true than now. Generally, the older players who MLS signs are closer to 31-33 so still close to their prime, or the ones who are 35+ are still really good, like Lampard. If you're a soccer fan, I encourage you to catch a MLS game sometime, the level of play had dramatically improved in recent years. It's not the EPL, but it's a really entertaining league with good players of quality.

Giovinco is in his prime. But, why are we talking about this stuff when our own US Men's National Teamer, the only field player to stay on the bench the entirety of the Copa Mundial, the kid who has woman propose to him wherever he goes, our own Nordic Messi, Mix, the Taco Bell addict did this on Sunday -

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...ty-sc-vs-new-york-city-fc/details/video/33595

Also, Josh Saunders should not have stayed on the field.

Mileage varies from fan to fan, but the MLS became good enough to entertain me roughly 4 or 5 years ago. Quality of play is improving and some of the game day atmospheres are fantastic.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Well, the shootout has ruined the NHL. There are too many good games that get ruined by the novelty act. I hope that the NHL adopts the AHL's trial of the 4v4 for 3 minutes, then 3v3 for 3 minutes then shootout if there is no winner for an overtime.

Napcrap is exactly that. The stands are nowhere as full as what they were 15-20 years ago. Back then, the cars used to be somewhat different but had rules. Today, the cars are identical and it's just waiting for the "big one" to happen. I just know that I turn on a race anymore they have entire sections of bleachers covered with the big tarp ads. This wasn't always the case and for the record, I've gone to NASCAR events and been at the local dirt tracks all my life.

As for the soccer end, it may be gaining popularity, but it's not the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL. There's a big push by NBC to get it out there with the Barclay stuff, but I don't get it.

Pertaining to the thread however, Disney has enough out there that they didn't need to do this with the soccer team. Is this a way that they're going to try and entice a certain percentage/demographic to leave the parks and entertain them another way? Will Disney provide transportation to and from the games from the resorts?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The way MLS has been building is pure genius. By way of background, I am a former college player who grew up watching the Tampa Bay Rowdies when they would get 60,000 fans for that July 4th tilt against the Cosmos, Soccer Made in Germany (love FC Cologne for no logical reason, hate Bayern for obvious reasons) lived through the dark days of no soccer on TV, was delighted when I could watch the Premier League (picked Tottenham and my son picked Assenole), and attended a Chicago Fire game 5 years ago. First, I loved the soccer specific stadium. These 18,000 - 27,000 seat stadiums are great. I know people gripe about the location of the one in Chicago, but it is really nice. Second, the fostering of relations with the supporters groups/fans. KC doesn't have Blue Hell if they don't let the fans help design the stadium and even have input into things like where bars are going to be located and where the crazy supporters will be seated. Third, the slow advent of academies for each of the teams. Most of the teams have reserve teams now. They are building infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure. Even the way the teams are organized. About half the 30 man roster is subject to the salary cap and earns 200K +/- 100K. 10 players are not subject to the salary cap and earn the league minimum of 60K. Three or 4 (depending on how the roster is set up, do you have a homegrown designated player) earn millions You've got stars, guying just starting out, and solid pros. Each team has the same ratio so the fact the Chicago Fire are completely sucktastic is the result of mismanagement and not some inherent inequality, like Man U having 80 billion more dollars.

We're going to easily pass the 20,000 average per game attendance figure this year without Chivas, San Jose moving into their own joint, and O-town and NYCFC drawing fans.

I should also note, that less and less of the designated players are oldsters. Anyway, if I can roll out of bed and watch some premiership on Saturday and watch an MLS double header every Sunday evening, I'm a happy man.

psherman42

I have to disagree. The overwhelming majority of MLS fans are European and South American football fans, who were quickly alienated by the different rules from the football they were used to watching (one of numerous factors attributed to the huge decline in MLS attendance from season 1 to season 2). The rules were changed after 1998 to match those of the rest of the world. At that time, average attendance at MLS was about 14,000 fans per game. Over the past 15 seasons attendance has increased slowly to an average now over 19,000 per game.

If you prefer games to not end in a tie, have a precise clock, and (not sure if you would prefer this or not) have increased scoring, I encourage you to check out the MASL, Major Arena Soccer League. Playoffs just started for that league (which plays in hockey arenas on artificial turf) last week and while their attendance is a little sad (a couple thousand per game, max) and they have no TV deal, all the games are available to watch online.

Go Aberdeen, Newcastle, DC United, and Baltimore Blast (and Jeff Gordon)!
Oh my gosh, someone who knows about the MASL. I grew up a huge Milwaukee Wave fan. My interest has diminished in recent years, as the league has struggled and I haven't been to a game since before I moved to Florida in January 2013 but I still follow the team. I love soccer in general but I've always preferred the indoor game. It's more exciting to watch and more fun to play.

That said, I'm so excited to finally have an MLS team to cheer for. I hope Orlando City continues to be supported by the city and state of Florida as a whole.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Oh my gosh, someone who knows about the MASL. I grew up a huge Milwaukee Wave fan. My interest has diminished in recent years, as the league has struggled and I haven't been to a game since before I moved to Florida in January 2013 but I still follow the team. I love soccer in general but I've always preferred the indoor game. It's more exciting to watch and more fun to play.

I wouldn't say I like it better than the outdoor game, but I do enjoy indoor. Since the early 80's with the MISL when (at least here in Baltimore) they could draw over 10,000 per game. The other big difference is that we can actually afford to go to indoor games at $20 a ticket for a pretty decent view, as opposed to cheapest pretty poor view at MSL being close to $40. You know you can watch MASL games online?

Uncle Remus

I'm a sports junkie. I've played almost everything, I've coached a few sports and watch literally everything. Except for women's basketball. As someone who loves athletics I never felt the need to bash something someone else was into simply because I wasn't.

Most of Americans don't like or watch hockey. Most kids grow up having never played hockey. Yet the hockey fan is allowed to watch and follow his sport without any backlash from people who are ignorant to the great sport of hockey.

Most of Americans don't like or watch soccer. Most kids grow up having played soccer at some point. Yet the soccer fan receives insults when they choose to watch or follow their sport and is met with backlash from people who are ignorant to the great sport of soccer.

I never understood this. Who cares what sport someone else chooses to watch or follow? Nobody is forced to watch or attend something they don't want to. It's no different than telling people their choice in music sucks. If it doesn't appeal to you listen to what you like. If ESPN started airing an under water polo league does it really effect your life so much that you feel the undying need to slam it? The free market will decide which leagues are successful and which ones fold. Love what you love and let others do the same.

bhg469

I'm a sports junkie. I've played almost everything, I've coached a few sports and watch literally everything. Except for women's basketball. As someone who loves athletics I never felt the need to bash something someone else was into simply because I wasn't.

Most of Americans don't like or watch hockey. Most kids grow up having never played hockey. Yet the hockey fan is allowed to watch and follow his sport without any backlash from people who are ignorant to the great sport of hockey.

Most of Americans don't like or watch soccer. Most kids grow up having played soccer at some point. Yet the soccer fan receives insults when they choose to watch or follow their sport and is met with backlash from people who are ignorant to the great sport of soccer.

I never understood this. Who cares what sport someone else chooses to watch or follow? Nobody is forced to watch or attend something they don't want to. It's no different than telling people their choice in music sucks. If it doesn't appeal to you listen to what you like. If ESPN started airing an under water polo league does it really effect your life so much that you feel the undying need to slam it? The free market will decide which leagues are successful and which ones fold. Love what you love and let others do the same.
I think soccer is fine and I'll watch during the world cup. I think where the hate comes from is a few things.

Lack of scoring
Lack of contact
The excessive diving, not that it doesn't happen in the nhl but soccer brings it to an ungodly level.
and the most annoying thing about soccer to Americans is the soccer mom. It is a stereotype for a reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom