The Art of Shaving opening at Disney Springs

NearTheEars

Where is 'here'? Because I've lived in Orlando for my whole life. So where exactly have people been crying out for boutique stores?

Here meaning this message board.

See the threads about the new Sunglass Hut and the new Memento Mori stores at the MK for reference. Tons of of posts calling for more unique shops at WDW.

Adam N

Isn't any store a boutique store? Like an Apple Store is a boutique store that sells just a few select items. A hat shop is a hat shop. Sunglasses. There's a boutique toy store, although it's just really large. I'm confused as to what's weird about boutique stores? Except for World of Disney, everything is a boutique store. They're not gonna throw a Macy's or a Wal-mart in there.

Stitchon

Isn't any store a boutique store? Like an Apple Store is a boutique store that sells just a few select items. A hat shop is a hat shop. Sunglasses. There's a boutique toy store, although it's just really large. I'm confused as to what's weird about boutique stores? Except for World of Disney, everything is a boutique store. They're not gonna throw a Macy's or a Wal-mart in there.

While there undoubtedly won't be a Macy's or Walmart, it's a shame there's no room for one of the upscale department stores that decamped from The Florida Mall last year. Nordstrom or Saks Fifth Avenue would lend the project tremendous cachet and steal a bit of thunder from the traditional malls in the area.

Next Big Thing

While there undoubtedly won't be a Macy's or Walmart, it's a shame there's no room for one of the upscale department stores that decamped from The Florida Mall last year. Nordstrom or Saks Fifth Avenue would lend the project tremendous cachet and steal a bit of thunder from the traditional malls in the area.
There's plenty of room. They are building an entirely new outlet-style shopping area. The Landing is more about upscale food experiences than upscale stores.

Stitchon

There's plenty of room. They are building an entirely new outlet-style shopping area. The Landing is more about upscale food experiences than upscale stores.

I'm well aware. However, judging from previous concept art and land availablity, there doesn't look to be any room for a department store considering the square footage they'd require.

TheRabbit

Here meaning this message board.

See the threads about the new Sunglass Hut and the new Memento Mori stores at the MK for reference. Tons of of posts calling for more unique shops at WDW.
I guess I'm just from the Old School where people would come to Disney World because it was all (and only) Disney related stuff. Oh well, that was all lost when Disney allowed a McDonalds a spot on property. I remember the protesters when Disney was changing things like Mr Toad's Wild Ride, but I guess now when there is change, everyone is FOR it....sigh...Ok, ok, I'll drink the Kool-Aid and jump on board I guess. :arghh:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I guess I'm just from the Old School where people would come to Disney World because it was all (and only) Disney related stuff. Oh well, that was all lost when Disney allowed a McDonalds a spot on property. I remember the protesters when Disney was changing things like Mr Toad's Wild Ride, but I guess now when there is change, everyone is FOR it....sigh...Ok, ok, I'll drink the Kool-Aid and jump on board I guess. :arghh:
WDW has never been 100% Disney Related Stuff. Corporate sponsors and their visible presence in the park have been around for quite some time.

NearTheEars

Haha don't jump yet.

Many are more sick of every single shop selling the exact same WDW merchandise. Memento Mori has gone over well because it is ride specific. So when a shop on property comes along that isn't selling the same old stuff, maybe it's a good thing.

TheRabbit

Haha don't jump yet.

Many are more sick of every single shop selling the exact same WDW merchandise. Memento Mori has gone over well because it is ride specific. So when a shop on property comes along that isn't selling the same old stuff, maybe it's a good thing.
True, but that is mostly 'locals' thinking that way. Guests from Ohio and New York that come down once every couple of years don't want stores where they can get the same things back home. They come down for DISNEY stuff. Granted, there are shops everywhere on property that are Disney only merchandise, but if you want something like sunglasses or specialty hats...just don't drive on Disney property. Go to the mall or wherever. Sorry, that's just my thoughts.

71jason

True, but that is mostly 'locals' thinking that way. Guests from Ohio and New York that come down once every couple of years don't want stores where they can get the same things back home. They come down for DISNEY stuff. Granted, there are shops everywhere on property that are Disney only merchandise, but if you want something like sunglasses or specialty hats...just don't drive on Disney property. Go to the mall or wherever. Sorry, that's just my thoughts.

Your understanding of the Orlando tourist market--and I imagine international economic policy--is fundamentally flawed. At least 20% of WDW guests are not from the U.S. While yes, they enjoy Disney merch, they are also after clothing, electronics and other non-branded merchandise they can get far cheaper here than at home due to VATs, import taxes and the like. Every TJ Maxx and Ross in the area has a huge luggage department--international guests literally buy a suitcase and then fill it with clothes to take home. I've seen busloads of international tourists unload at Target and Wal-Mart and buy up multiple shopping carts each. Disney Springs is aimed at getting a taste--and just a taste--of that money that previously has been going off-property.

Also, most of the "locals" can't afford to shop at Disney Springs. Not on what WDW pays.

71jason

I didn't realize most of the "locals" worked for WDW. I knew Disney was a huge employer but not all encompassing.

Second largest single-site employer in the country, behind the Pentagon. And most of those who don't work for Disney work for a company that indirectly depends on the Rat (hotels, restaurants along 535 and 192 for example). I'm talking about a section of Orlando*, but within this section, it's the closest thing to a company town still in existence.

* (My personal theory: Orlando is a huge metropolitan area, but it's basically made up of three smaller cities. "Lake Buena Vista" encompassing the touristy areas but now stretching up to Clermont and west to Haines City, "Winter Park" encompassing areas around downtown and Seminole County and even Deltona, and "UCF" encompassing the far east side of town. As a general rule, residents of one area rarely visit the others, and in fact the latter two are often ashamed to be associated with the first.)

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

Isn't DS precisely a mall? It will be a highly themed mall but a mall nonetheless, with a lot of table service restaurants, theater and bowling alley. With 24,000 rooms and the majority using Disney transport it doesn't hurt to have a few "familiar" stores to serve the public.

I can admit I have purchased sunglasses and a set of replacement lenses at Sunglasses hut, probably spent more than I could have off-site but didn't have to leave and was already there, it was convenient.

We do primarily go to DS/DTD for the Disney merchandise but it is nice to have other options such as Curl which seems to get a lot of my sons spending money lately.

Next Big Thing

Also, most of the "locals" can't afford to shop at Disney Springs. Not on what WDW pays.
Tell my co-workers that. Disney has had a 40% CM discount and they seemingly can't stop going back and buying more and more things.

And yes, Magic Bands ARE a hot item among CMs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They aren't removing any of the Disney related stuff. It's not like they are closing World of Disney to make room for a hat, sunglass and flip flop store. They are actually expanding World of Disney. The Marketplace is mostly going to be unchanged and a majority of what's there is Disney related. The Town Center area will be additional retail spots and mostly (or maybe all) 3rd party vendors. Shopping is not my cup of tea either, but it's popular with some people. Plenty of people venture off property to a local mall to shop while at WDW for vacation. This saves them a trip.

TheRabbit

They aren't removing any of the Disney related stuff. It's not like they are closing World of Disney to make room for a hat, sunglass and flip flop store. They are actually expanding World of Disney. The Marketplace is mostly going to be unchanged and a majority of what's there is Disney related. The Town Center area will be additional retail spots and mostly (or maybe all) 3rd party vendors. Shopping is not my cup of tea either, but it's popular with some people. Plenty of people venture off property to a local mall to shop while at WDW for vacation. This saves them a trip.
Finally, an open minded response that makes sense to me. THANK YOU. :) I totally agree!

mechurchlady

WDW has beauty salons for women. Art of Shaving offers conventioneers and businessmen luxurious pampering so they look nice for business. It is a niche that WDW can't fill in Disney stores. Some men like to pamper themselves which I find nothing wrong. It allows women to find a unique gift. DTD is a bought niches!!!!!!!!!! I won't belong to Apex club but some people buy sunglasses a lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom