Big reduction on Annual Passholder discounts at Walt Disney World mini-golf courses and boat rentals

yedliW

I'd be curious to see the numbers on how many use those discounts vs who don't.
I also wonder if they used that discount to get more visitors in but don't need incentives anymore to get people in.

The 1 year I had an AP, I got it because we had 2 trips about 5 months apart (using up our borrowed DVC points), and it was a lot cheaper to get an AP than it was to get 2 separate 6 day passes. The only 'perk' we used was the 10% merch discount. This worked for me, because the DVC is in my wife's name, so I don't have a card, and wouldn't get the DVC discount without her. We also both have the Disney Visa, so for larger purchases (I think it has to be $50 or more to get the discount), it would have been the same.

We didn't have a car, so we didn't even take advantage of free parking.

We didn't know about the mini-golf/boat discounts, so we didn't use them. Would we have if we knew about it? Maybe. I would have liked to, but I am not sad that I didn't. My wife isn't much for doing things not in the parks.

jakeman

You can argue about what MATTERS to you... and discount changes that are transparent to you

...but you can't argue about what was in the product now.. and how that may differ from how it's changed.

Fact remains... Disney trimmed the perks of the program all while the price remains the same and will go up again.

If that loss of a perk impacts you individually is a matter of your personal behaviors - that doesn't change the facts of the program.

And defending it with "well the fine print says they can change it anytime" is not a justification for why the perks should change... simply a legality saying they CAN be changed. It doesn't justify the change, nor negate the relevance of it to people who used it.
What's your point?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'd be curious to see the numbers on how many use those discounts vs who don't.
I also wonder if they used that discount to get more visitors in but don't need incentives anymore to get people in.

If no one was using the discount, Disney would have no reason to take it away.. it would be free marketing that makes the AP look like a greater value. If people don't use it, it still looks good.. no reason to take it away.

The discount also works like a coupon though - advertising and luring customers in to try the golf.

It's pretty counter intuitive to reduce the discount unless they need to be turning people away.. which I've never heard of at the golf places. Putt-putt isn't exactly a necessity that people are going to do without some lure.

jakeman

Stop telling people it doesn't matter or change is irrelevant simply because it doesn't matter to your buying decision. Just because you can take it or leave it... doesn't mean its worthless to everyone.
I never said I could take it or leave it. In fact I expressed disappointment multiple times that it was being removed as this was a discount we used more often than some others.

Look, if we are going to do this little song and dance you should probably try reading the thread.

My point is purchases shouldn't be made on the variable conditions of the product.

Would you buy DVC because of the annual pass discount? If the answer is no there, why would be any different regarding non-guaranteed discounts associated with the annual pass?

flynnibus

Premium Member
My point is purchases shouldn't be made on the variable conditions of the product.

And that is just a huge CYA excuse.

Discounts are a headline perk of the pass. Fact. Now are those specific discounts subject to change, yes, but that doesn't mean people should ignore them or that people may value them differently. There is also a reasonable expectation of what those discounts would be as Disney has established trends and patterns with them.

Your position is 'the AP is admission first, everything else is just gravy' - and that may work for you... but isn't the only approach to the annual pass, nor is it the prime reason many people legitimately buy the WDW AP.

The AP offers 'unlimited' admission the parks, yet the vast majority of AP holders have zero ambition to flex that perk. Most know they will be there for maybe two weeks or more over the calendar year and they buy the AP for the discounts or cheaper admission.

I'd wager more people buy a WDW AP for the discount it offers - not the idea of unlimited park admission. It's why WDW's AP base is not locals dominated... its dominated by those who know they will make more than one trip in a calendar year. Huge portions of people look to the AP as a discount program rather than an unlimited pass. That is the model WDW has nurtured through it's admission pricing strategies and discounting programs.

If you want to stick to your guns over don't make purchases over variable conditions of the product.. don't ever consider a Disney pass (didn't find the WDW one handy)

From the DL AP terms and conditions
"All terms, conditions and benefits including, but not limited to, admission privileges, Blockout Dates, prices, Pass type availability, parking locations, and discounts are subject to restrictions, availability, and change or cancellation without notice at any time."

Basically.. EVERYTHING is subject to change.

jakeman

I'd wager more people buy a WDW AP for the discount it offers - not the idea of unlimited park admission. It's why WDW's AP base is not locals dominated... its dominated by those who know they will make more than one trip in a calendar year. Huge portions of people look to the AP as a discount program rather than an unlimited pass. That is the model WDW has nurtured through it's admission pricing strategies and discounting programs.
You have absolutely nothing to back this up. The entire foundation of your argument is based on an unverifiable piece of information.

You have no idea if it is a "huge portion" or if it's the dozen or so people who have chimed in on this thread.
If you want to stick to your guns over don't make purchases over variable conditions of the product.. don't ever consider a Disney pass (didn't find the WDW one handy)

From the DL AP terms and conditions
"All terms, conditions and benefits including, but not limited to, admission privileges, Blockout Dates, prices, Pass type availability, parking locations, and discounts are subject to restrictions, availability, and change or cancellation without notice at any time."

Basically.. EVERYTHING is subject to change.
I don't own a DL AP and with the way they seem to be messing with actual admission, I probably wouldn't.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You have absolutely nothing to back this up. The entire foundation of your argument is based on an unverifiable piece of information.

Oh yes... completely dreamt up in the last 5 minutes. A never seen before concept... And all those people with WDW APs that don't live near the parks are figments of my imagination too.

note2001

I argued earlier in this thread that I see the reductions in perks as being a non-issue, however one thing bothers me.... The Tables in Wonderland card. For those who aren't aware, the TIW card offers a 20% discount (with a couple blackout dates) at most Table service locations, and a couple counter service locations at WDW.

To get a TIW card you MUST be either an AP or PAP holder or be DVC, and there is a charge for it... about $100 last I checked, and it lasts for 13 months from the date of purchase.

What bothers me, is why Disney offers some discounts using the AP/PAP but then you can buy this card for a deeper discount. Hmmm...

jakeman

Oh yes... completely dreamt up in the last 5 minutes. A never seen before concept... And all those people with WDW APs that don't live near the parks are figments of my imagination too.
You have a number, or just some arm waving in the general direction of Orlando?

flynnibus

Premium Member
You have a number, or just some arm waving in the general direction of Orlando?

Yes... because we know "you can't cite have the numbers" when Disney doesn't release ANY official numbers on passes, admission, is such a strong position. Stop acting like the first time caller. WDW's AP's success with the out of town demographic is not some new revelation.

betty rose

Yes... because we know "you can't cite have the numbers" when Disney doesn't release ANY official numbers on passes, admission, is such a strong position. Stop acting like the first time caller. WDW's AP's success with the out of town demographic is not some new revelation.
I have an annual pass, and live in Denver. Six in our family, us, kids and grand kids. We played Minnie golf. lol Will not be doing that anymore. After this year, coming is once a year for us. We will no longer get an annual pass, or tables wonder land. Just throwing that out.:confused:

dreamfinder

To get a TIW card you MUST be either an AP or PAP holder or be DVC, and there is a charge for it... about $100 last I checked, and it lasts for 13 months from the date of purchase.

FL Residents are also eligible to purchase TiW, albeit at a $25 surcharge.

What bothers me, is why Disney offers some discounts using the AP/PAP but then you can buy this card for a deeper discount. Hmmm...

Give you a taste. The discounts that are offered to AP for dining are also offered to Disney Visa cardholders, and some for DVC as well. Most of them are for a very limited subset of restaurants, and typically for lunch only. For instance, many of the Epcot TS will give an AP 10% off for lunch, but not dinner. People seem to associate a TS in Epcot with dinner, so lunch is often a slower period, so the discount helps to bring in traffic that would otherwise be elsewhere.

jakeman

Yet you're making assumption without any facts about the reason people purchase passes. I'm not disputing the demographic of the WDW AP holder, what I am disputing is the conclusion you are drawing with no evidence beyond anecdotal musings on a website that represents a fraction of a percent of the annual attendance at WDW as to the motivation for purchasing an annual pass.

Really, you're just looking to argue and you're not doing a good job of it, but I guess that could probably be your signature here couldn't it?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yet you're making assumption without any facts about the reason people purchase passes. I'm not disputing the demographic of the WDW AP holder, what I am disputing is the conclusion you are drawing with no evidence beyond anecdotal musings on a website that represents a fraction of a percent of the annual attendance at WDW as to the motivation for purchasing an annual pass.

Or simple common sense kicks in - that people buy passes for more than just pass cost/# of park days they plan on visiting... hence why there are all those pages out there about justifications of AP breakevens, TiW, resort discount stalking, etc. Or, they are all just figments of my imagination and out of town AP holders exist primarily they plan on staying more than 10 days a year.

Heck.. someoone mail Deb @ Allears.. this entire page http://allears.net/pl/breakeven.php is a waste of space. According to jakeman it should just be replaced with a single line "do you go more than 10 days a year? yes/no"

My evidence (as is everyone's) is by definition anecdotal because Disney doesn't release the numbers to anyone. But you can pay attention to the last 15+ years of topics of interest to APs, what content is popular, what frequently comes up, and what people share. Or you can dig in and attack people claiming they don't leave this bubble. Wear your badge proud.

jakeman

Or simple common sense kicks in - that people buy passes for more than just pass cost/# of park days they plan on visiting... hence why there are all those pages out there about justifications of AP breakevens, TiW, resort discount stalking, etc. Or, they are all just figments of my imagination and out of town AP holders exist primarily they plan on staying more than 10 days a year.

Heck.. someoone mail Deb @ Allears.. this entire page http://allears.net/pl/breakeven.php is a waste of space. According to jakeman it should just be replaced with a single line "do you go more than 10 days a year? yes/no"

My evidence (as is everyone's) is by definition anecdotal because Disney doesn't release the numbers to anyone. But you can pay attention to the last 15+ years of topics of interest to APs, what content is popular, what frequently comes up, and what people share. Or you can dig in and attack people claiming they don't leave this bubble. Wear your badge proud.
Uh oh...someone is leveraging the power of the Googles to make a point!

Just because many people do it, doesn't mean it's a good financial decision.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Uh oh...someone is leveraging the power of the Googles to make a point!

Just because many people do it, doesn't mean it's a good financial decision.

You're comical... first you attack me as being baseless, then I use a well established site (that is as old as the dinosaurs on the online disney space) as a point of reference and you try to turn that into another attack because I cited something? What a joke. And you top it off by moving the goal posts to avoid getting cornered. Some piece of work... Why don't you just ignore this thread since you are in such strong denial about the topic's relevance to people. Obviously it doesn't fit 'your needs'.

jakeman

You're comical... first you attack me as being baseless, then I use a well established site (that is as old as the dinosaurs on the online disney space) as a point of reference and you try to turn that into another attack because I cited something? What a joke. And you top it off by moving the goal posts to avoid getting cornered. Some piece of work... Why don't you just ignore this thread since you are in such strong denial about the topic's relevance to people. Obviously it doesn't fit 'your needs'.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm the joke here buddy. You're the one about to throw a clot over a mini golf discount.

A financial decision shouldn't be made on variable and historically volatile (relatively) component of it. That's my point. That's my only point. Just because a bunch of people do look at it that way doesn't make it a sound financial purchase.

As to your "huge portion" which started this diatribe, you're making an assumption that supports your argument that may not be correct. Just because something returns a bunch of Google hits isn't representative of the actual popularity relevance to the purchase. What if, and follow me here, all that information eventually drives people in the opposite direction?

EDIT: As a point of reference, Toyota Corolla returns about the same number of hits as Annual Pass Discount (or whatever variation I used) and I'm pretty sure there aren't 55 million Corollas on the road.

Of course I'm realizing that I'm debating the purchase motives of millions of people I don't know with someone who compares repeat Disney visitors to domestic abuse victims, so I'm off to take a shower. It's a little scummy in this thread.

afb28

PsBUiyQ.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom