Spice Road Table transitions from walkup only to reservation system

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The thing is, with how backwards the dining situation is in WDW, it probably will help. Short term. People will see it as an option on MDE, and just grab it, the same way inexperienced guests grab FPs for Philharmagic.

Long term, I think SRT is in some trouble though. I don't see that there was any sort of demand for Moroccan tapas.

The question is, when SRT eventually fails, what replaces it? More Morrocon food? Maybe an outright bar ala Rose and Crown pub?

Well if they were PRICED like tapas it would not be a problem, But they have full entree pricing...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is interesting. People (me included) complain all the time that you can't walk in anywhere good anymore and are forced to play the game and make reservations for meals. They open a place with no reservations and nobody shows up. I guess maybe the demand isn't really as high as I/we thought. One other problem is probably fear of not getting a seat. If you don't make a reservation and show up and for some reason can't get a seat at Spice Road there isn't anywhere else to go. Rather than risk it you just book and ADR somewhere else knowing you have locked in a seat. If 3 or 4 different places existed that didn't take reservations you could be more comfortable going and taking your chances.

I don't see how they can keep the menu the same and accept DDP. I wouldn't be surprised if they switched up the menu. Adding reservations will also allow for an illuminations meal package type thing which should be a money maker.

SpaceMountain77

I, too, found this waterfront dining option to be completely unnecessary. I rarely observe anyone eating at Tangierine Cafe. More often than not, the cafe's tables are used for rest rather than dining. Moreover, advanced dining reservations are always available for Restaurant Marrakesh. Regarding the Candlelight Processional, Restaurant Marrakesh is usually a sure thing if you are late with booking.

I fully support purposeful expansion at Epcot, but this waterfront dining location was not needed at this pavilion. The gardens and fountain were much more enjoyable.

wdwfan4ver

This is interesting. People (me included) complain all the time that you can't walk in anywhere good anymore and are forced to play the game and make reservations for meals. They open a place with no reservations and nobody shows up. I guess maybe the demand isn't really as high as I/we thought. One other problem is probably fear of not getting a seat.
You can open a place a place with no reservations with people showing up, but it depends on what type of food the place services. Some types of food are niche like or not to the general public.

You shouldn't have said "we" in terms of expecting a high high demand. I expected a low demand instead of what you thought because you didn't look at what country got a new table service.

You a dealing with a theme park that has a lot of Table Service options and Moroccan food isn't exactly high demand to begin with even before Spice Road Table. Moroccan Food never has been as popular as French food, Chinese Food, Mexican Food, German Food, Italian Food as examples. I am saying this in my experience outside of WDW and Moroccan Food is considered niche food outside of WDW speaking as an American.

The problem isn't the fear of not getting a seat. I am saying that because I was at WDW earlier this year. I didn't consider to Spice Road Table because I am not interested in eating that type of food. Other people that I know outside the internet that went to WDW this year wasn't interested in Moroccan food.

BrianV

This is interesting. People (me included) complain all the time that you can't walk in anywhere good anymore and are forced to play the game and make reservations for meals. They open a place with no reservations and nobody shows up. I guess maybe the demand isn't really as high as I/we thought. One other problem is probably fear of not getting a seat. If you don't make a reservation and show up and for some reason can't get a seat at Spice Road there isn't anywhere else to go. Rather than risk it you just book and ADR somewhere else knowing you have locked in a seat. If 3 or 4 different places existed that didn't take reservations you could be more comfortable going and taking your chances.

I don't see how they can keep the menu the same and accept DDP. I wouldn't be surprised if they switched up the menu. Adding reservations will also allow for an illuminations meal package type thing which should be a money maker.

Totally agree. Last visit we really wanted water front dining to watch illuminations. We made a reservation and ate at the Mexican place. I'd rather have tried here, but, I didn't want to show up and not get a table, and then have no place to eat. And since I would have had to forfeit the deposit at Mexico, we were locked in there. Next visit we might try here now.

I too want more places you don't have to plan 6 months in advance. But, adding one or two isn't enough. You cannot count on getting a seat so you make a reservation elsewhere.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You can open a place a place with no reservations with people showing up, but it depends on what type of food the place services. Some types of food are niche like or not to the general public.

You shouldn't have said "we" in terms of expecting a high high demand. I expected a low demand instead of what you thought because you didn't look at what country got a new table service.

You a dealing with a theme park that has a lot of Table Service options and Moroccan food isn't exactly high demand to begin with even before Spice Road Table. Moroccan Food never has been as popular as French food, Chinese Food, Mexican Food, German Food, Italian Food as examples. I am saying this in my experience outside of WDW and Moroccan Food is considered niche food outside of WDW speaking as an American.

The problem isn't the fear of not getting a seat. I am saying that because I was at WDW earlier this year. I didn't consider to Spice Road Table because I am not interested in eating that type of food. Other people that I know outside the internet that went to WDW this year wasn't interested in Moroccan food.
When I said "we" I didn't mean every single other person here. I'm sure there are plenty of people who didn't have any interest in the food. If however they add reservations and add this restaurant to DDP and the popularity picks up it will prove your theory wrong. I guess time will tell.

Bolt

This continues the MDE approach of putting reservations on things that don't need them.
Meh - I disagree. Not saying it will fool people, but when people are booking their dining reservations before they arrive, they might overlook this option. Now they might factor it into a schedule and book it as a lunch or dinner. The mentality it the same though, if people aren't booking reservations, you'll still be able to walk up. Trust me, no one was really fighting for this to not happen because no one really had an opinion either way.

Kman101

I'd also have to imagine that the average family likely wouldn't try something new to them such as a tapa at a Moroccan inspired restaurant. Me, I love trying new things and eating in new places. Makes things interesting. But kids can be extremly picky. I'd have to guess that played a factor in lack of interest in the place. And is it really advertised that well? It just seems like a building on the water, to be honest. Maybe adding it to MDE will help bring new eyes to it as well?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'd also have to imagine that the average family likely wouldn't try something new to them such as a tapa at a Moroccan inspired restaurant. Me, I love trying new things and eating in new places. Makes things interesting. But kids can be extremly picky. I'd have to guess that played a factor in lack of interest in the place. And is it really advertised that well? It just seems like a building on the water, to be honest. Maybe adding it to MDE will help bring new eyes to it as well?

The bigger problem is the pricing, These need 'small plate' pricing from 4-7 dollars now usually at a place like this everyone will order 3-5 'small plates' each, This could have been a introduction to Moroccan food for people because if they did not like something 4-7 bucks is a "Well I tried it anyway experience", You are not going to get that with a $12-19 small plate - people want a sure thing for that price.

Once again Disney's obsession with 'per guest' spending has gotten in the way of guests having a unique introductory experience to a new cuisine.

Just wait till the DDP crew hits this and pays 19 bucks for a 'small plate' you will hear the screams about 'Nasty food' and 'Small portion sizes'. Unfortunately Disney probably would have done better with a place that sells burgers, mac-n-cheese and chicken nuggets. (which with DDP will probably be served)

Now I have nothing against Mac-n-Cheese as on a cold winter day there are few things better than Chilli, Mac-n-Cheese,Stew or a hearty soup (not at the same time :) ) but serving them at a Middle eastern pavillion just yuk :hungover:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The bigger problem is the pricing, These need 'small plate' pricing from 4-7 dollars now usually at a place like this everyone will order 3-5 'small plates' each, This could have been a introduction to Moroccan food for people because if they did not like something 4-7 bucks is a "Well I tried it anyway experience", You are not going to get that with a $12-19 small plate - people want a sure thing for that price.

Once again Disney's obsession with 'per guest' spending has gotten in the way of guests having a unique introductory experience to a new cuisine.

Just wait till the DDP crew hits this and pays 19 bucks for a 'small plate' you will hear the screams about 'Nasty food' and 'Small portion sizes'. Unfortunately Disney probably would have done better with a place that sells burgers, mac-n-cheese and chicken nuggets. (which with DDP will probably be served)

Now I have nothing against Mac-n-Cheese as on a cold winter day there are few things better than Chilli, Mac-n-Cheese,Stew or a hearty soup (not at the same time :) ) but serving them at a Middle eastern pavillion just yuk :hungover:
The concept and pricing seems consistent with the wildly popular food and wine festival. Most of the single menu items at Spice Road are between $7 and $10 with 2 samplers featuring 3 different items for $16. Food and wine samples are usually between $4 and $8 with the more substantial food items much closer to $8 than $4. Spice Road is pretty much in line with that and you get seated at an actual table with a pretty nice view.

Of course if you go for food and wine you know you will have the opportunity to buy food without a reservation at multiple locations. The rest of the year that's not the case.

I don't see how DDP works here. It looks like it's coming so I guess we will find out.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Or whoever. Stitch and the chihuahua from Oliver and Company. It's not like they care anymore.
If we get a chihuahua I'd prefer the one from the Taco Bell commercials. Yo quero Taco Bell. I learned more Spanish from that dog then I did in high school Spanish class;) Unfortunately I think the actual dog died a few years back:(

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The concept and pricing seems consistent with the wildly popular food and wine festival. Most of the single menu items at Spice Road are between $7 and $10 with 2 samplers featuring 3 different items for $16. Food and wine samples are usually between $4 and $8 with the more substantial food items much closer to $8 than $4. Spice Road is pretty much in line with that and you get seated at an actual table with a pretty nice view.

Of course if you go for food and wine you know you will have the opportunity to buy food without a reservation at multiple locations. The rest of the year that's not the case.

I don't see how DDP works here. It looks like it's coming so I guess we will find out.

From your comment prices went down from my last trip there - food looked tempting but the prices were repellent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom