2014 Walt Disney World Resort hotels holiday season updates

Nmoody1

Yes I do - stuff like this WAS the DISNEY Difference, Now it's just an overpriced hotel.

Ah the efforts we used to get for Xmas!
image.jpg

note2001

Lots and lots of hours and hard work did go into building the "Frozen" display..

Of this, I am sure (see timelapse video of them assembling it) & it is undeniably cute. The Frozen Gingerbread display, however, literally falls flat (in videos and pics) without that reach-out-and-touch-it 3D aspect other displays have. I think most of us were just hoping for something more unique.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I really hope someone from TDO is paying attention to this. That guests DO notice the details and the details are why we all became Disney fans in the first place. Otherwise it's just another simulator, coaster, dark ride, drop tower or show.

If nothing else, this forum has gotten me to really examine the details in what I do (in a non theme park environment) closer and strive for BETTER. To realize that our guests/ customers do notice the details and if you're not sold out for your "product" don't expect anyone else to be.

People may not know what makes something great, or even know how to achieve it, but they know when they've seen it.

stini228

Does anyone remember when they used to change all of the exterior lighting to alternate red / greed in stripes on the Magic Kingdom facing side of the Contemporary? So many little (and not so little) things have been cut. Sigh.

You know, wonder if they are doing something similar now. All of the lights on the exterior are currently dark. Was really strange and it really stood out to me.

prberk

I really hope someone from TDO is paying attention to this. That guests DO notice the details and the details are why we all became Disney fans in the first place. Otherwise it's just another simulator, coaster, dark ride, drop tower or show.

If nothing else, this forum has gotten me to really examine the details in what I do (in a non theme park environment) closer and strive for BETTER. To realize that our guests/ customers do notice the details and if you're not sold out for your "product" don't expect anyone else to be.

People may not know what makes something great, or even know how to achieve it, but they know when they've seen it.

This ^^^

Also, with so many imagineers, big wheels, and Disney legends (Sklar, Gurr, Baxter, others) at the Contemporary this weekend for the D23 event looking back at the past, I hope someone noticed the lack of exceptionalism that now exists there compared to the past. If those folks can't inspire them to remember it and go back to doing it, I don't know who can. (Yes, I know that they are all "retired," but they also still have connections and are admired by many of the young guard I would think.)

Last edited:

asianway

Have anyone confirmed that the giant Mickey wreath at the Contemporary is a gonner?
The initial build of the wreath was charged to BLT construction. I can only assume it may have needed a refresh for which there was no money in the budget.

Where have I heard that one before

note2001

well they could put a santa hat on the BAH? :p
Great, since that BAH is coming down I'm now imagining the Chinese theater with a Santa Hat. But that's for another thread.

Don't worry folk, for every improvement made there is an equal and opposite reaction somewhere on property. The balance must be kept.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Great, since that BAH is coming down I'm now imagining the Chinese theater with a Santa Hat. But that's for another thread.

Don't worry folk, for every improvement made there is an equal and opposite reaction somewhere on property. The balance must be kept.

maybe we'll get lucky and they'll put the BAH on top of Spaceship Earth?

articos

This ^^^

Also, with so many imagineers, big wheels, and Disney legends (Sklar, Gurr, Baxter, others) at the Contemporary this weekend for the D23 event looking back at the past, I hope someone noticed the lack of exceptionalism that now exists there compared to the past. If those folks can't inspire them to remember it and go back to doing it, I don't know who can. (Yes, I know that they are all "retired," but they also still have connections and are admired by many of the young guard I would think.)
Everyone realizes. There has to be budget, time and most important, the will from someone to get it done. We'll see more decorations again in the future.

prberk

My local mall is more decorated than that.

And to think how well Christmas (um, excuse me, "Holidays") matches so well with "music" as for a theme. You would think that you would see decorations of carolers holding music books (or hymn books) in a music-themed resort... Maybe even a little drummer boy... or, for the "all star" theme, some framed pics or posters of famous classic singers' Christmas albums (say, Elvis' Christmas album, Amy Grant's, Bing Crosby's, Frank Sinatra's, etc.). Just my thoughts of what I might have expected in creativity and theming for that resort.

lobelia

Of all the resorts, the Contemporary should update the decorations the most. A Mickey outline covered in outdoor carpeting is not very contemporary. Nor, I guess is Tomorrowland very futuristic. This points out a weakness in the company's or perhaps our own ability to have a vision for the future and the reaction to contemporary trends is slow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom