Walt Disney board extends Iger's contract as Chairman and CEO through June 2018

Cesar R M

And as much as the firing squad would have me for saying this (or any of this), from an objective point of view - his time has been focused on the weakest link - Disney Live Action films. As a parks fan, I wish it weren't so - but the parks are profitable, and remain profitable. So they are not his priority - as much as it pains me to admit this.

So while I hope the parks get more attention, and I feel they really deserve it - there is a reason that he is a Wall Street darling - because he focused his attention on the weakest parts of the company and has bolstered them quite a bit. He's not the head of Parks and Resorts, he's the head of the Walt Disney Company, and the WDC is in overall much better shape than it was. It's really sad that the parks have taken a backseat while the rest of the company was shored up - I can only hope that with the major acquisitions out of the way, the next few years will be better for our specific interests.

But I know that to most folks who post here, they dismiss all that he has done and only focus on the parks - which as parks fans is understandable, but they make him out to be some destroyer of the apocalypse, when in fact - weren't we just discussing a few years back the possibility of certain sections of the company being sold off? You certainly don't hear that stuff now, because overall the WDC is on a tremendous trajectory - though like everyone, I think attention needs to be paid to the parks ASAP as a fan, that doesn't change the fact that overall, Iger has been incredible for the company as a whole.
Now that the action area and animations are back to profitability, Let's hope that his eyes focus on the parks again. Losing the thunder to Universal would hit Iger and their group's ego and reputation

AEfx

Now that the action area and animations are back to profitability, Let's hope that his eyes focus on the parks again. Losing the thunder to Universal would hit Iger and their group's ego and reputation

I'm right there hoping with you.

Right there.

I still lament how Parks and Resorts are treated - no doubt about that. It's terrible.

But if we step back and look from our main focus of the company here, there were other parts of the company that were in much more dire straits. Now that is not so much the case, so hopefully the next few years will be a different story. Heck, if they can pull Disneyland out of the state it was in prior to the 50th - as terrible as things are at WDW, we haven't fallen quite that far, yet. It can be saved.

xstech25

I agree in general ESPN has become more of a tabloid sports network than an x's and o's - the History Channel also (which Disney has ownership in) now has reality shows and crazy Alien stuff.

But ratings are way up on both - once again Disney doesn't control supply & demand. It's not Disney's decision whether people want to waste their time watching that crap, there is demand for it, so obviously they're going to cater to it.

216bruce

If people can ever get over the thought that they know everything there is to know about everything, they might ask themselves... How do we know that MM+ was or is a dud. We only see a couple of minor uses for the system. That being FP+ and quick use in purchases, etc. We fail to recognize that Disney (overall) was in dire need to upgrade their electronic infrastructure and try to get in line with current technology. The purpose and the possibility has only been looked at on the level that we personally experience it using the forever scientific questioning of "What's in it for me?"

It doesn't seem to have affected the bottom line and the stock market has reacted, apparently, with favor on it. (or at least not negatively). Just because we don't see the value doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Someone said that part of the problem is no one reacts favorably to change, especially one that they don't understand or fit that "what's in it for me" mold. Stop beating a dead horse. It's in place, it isn't going away and, good or bad, it is what we have and will continue to have for a few years. Someone else mentioned that no one wants to have to make dining reservations 180 days out, like this is a result of MM+. In reality it has been that way for quite a few years now. It isn't even part of the argument anymore. In my mind it's easier to chose FP times that far out, then know what you are going to feel like eating 6 months in advance.

Thank you. Nailed it perfectly.
And, you can change the dining and the FastPass times after they are made. Folks just HATE change. There are only a very few post themes on much of the forum for the most part. Once they are distilled to their essence they are:
1) I hate change
2) I want change
3) Disney needs to make something successful and great like they used to do
4) Frozen is successful and I hate it.
Weird.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Thank you. Nailed it perfectly.
And, you can change the dining and the FastPass times after they are made. Folks just HATE change. There are only a very few post themes on much of the forum for the most part. Once they are distilled to their essence they are:
1) I hate change
2) I want change
3) Disney needs to make something successful and great like they used to do
4) Frozen is successful and I hate it.
Weird.

incorrect.

a) I like GOOD change
b) I hate they have to remove huge entertainment things so they add crappy and cheap things.
c) Disney definitively needs to do something successfully, Radiator Springs at DCA and the new Harambe Theatre are a fine example they can do it and in a timeline manner if THEY WANTED.
d) Noone said they hate Frozen, they hate the PLACE they decided to put Frozen in.
and some Hate that Frozen is being plastered in absolutely everywhere.
Next we will have Olaf in the bottom of toilets and bathrooms singing LET IT GO.

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom