Changes to Disney Gift Cards begin today

Ignohippo

Well, that illuminates the Point Of Purchase sales from little Ricky and little Suzy seeing the gift cards at the register and begging mom and dad to get one for them to take home and possibly use at their Disney Stores at home (or Aunt Mildred getting something small to take back for the twenty nieces and nephews).

I wonder how many have been purchased over the years and never used? The profits have to be in the millions.

Brilliant move Disney.

This screams being a decision made by someone who's never set foot in a Disney Park with a small child. Rasulo anyone?

RonAnnArbor

Wait, what? Someone, really anyone, puts 5.00 on a gift card??? What the --- It would cost them more to process that than its worth, no wonder they are raising the limit. I have never in all my years heard of anyone getting a 5.00 gift card, I don't care who its for.

Mawg

Wait, what? Someone, really anyone, puts 5.00 on a gift card??? What the --- It would cost them more to process that than its worth, no wonder they are raising the limit. I have never in all my years heard of anyone getting a 5.00 gift card, I don't care who its for.

I have gotten plenty of Starbucks $5 gift cards

HolleBolleGijs

Well, that illuminates the Point Of Purchase sales from little Ricky and little Suzy seeing the gift cards at the register and begging mom and dad to get one for them to take home and possibly use at their Disney Stores at home (or Aunt Mildred getting something small to take back for the twenty nieces and nephews).

I wonder how many have been purchased over the years and never used? The profits have to be in the millions.

Brilliant move Disney.

This screams being a decision made by someone who's never set foot in a Disney Park with a small child. Rasulo anyone?

It's money, but they can't count it as revenue. Until a gift card is used, it is considered "unearned revenue," and is actually a liability for the company.

**This is according to my intro to accounting class. So feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

disney4life2008

As long as they do not charge a fee I am fine with this change. I

Are you kidding? Many places have $5 gift cards for sale.

Mouse_Trap

It's money, but they can't count it as revenue. Until a gift card is used, it is considered "unearned revenue," and is actually a liability for the company.

**This is according to my intro to accounting class. So feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That's pretty much my understanding, I think they may be counted for as sales, but then you need to account for them as a future liability. However these cards are often only valid for a set period....after which I guess you they cease to be a liability and then you have free money.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

You are indeed correct. Because the company still has an obligation to honor the gift card, it isn't revenue when purchased. It is an interest-free loan to Disney because you are paying in advance of getting the merchandise/services.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom