Disney updates park rules and begins adding signs at park entrances

NowInc

So..... it was a weird night. (I won't elaborate)

@wdwmagic, @MissM, @NowInc, @WDWFigment .....

We're going to have an issue with tripods. We're going to have inconsistencies on exactly what is being let in. The sudden new view is that if you have a tripod, you must be/might be/probably shooting commercially.

Also.

I was told by a security higher up that my tripod tonight would be let in but I would not be allowed to set up in a crowd. Safety issue. Liability issue.

My thoughts? Be incognito. Dont be a gearhead. Smaller is better when it comes to a tripod. Perceptions are reality.

Things are changing and it will be inconsistent.

I recall a similar issue at Disneyland previously and it finally got ironed out. I am hoping for a similar situation here. I carry a very small travel tripod (MeFOTO) and have never had an issue with it previously (it folds up to about a foot long). Keep us updated on how things are. I'm there again at the end of Oct and will have to test the waters myself.

MissM

We're going to have an issue with tripods. We're going to have inconsistencies on exactly what is being let in. The sudden new view is that if you have a tripod, you must be/might be/probably shooting commercially.

Also.

I was told by a security higher up that my tripod tonight would be let in but I would not be allowed to set up in a crowd. Safety issue. Liability issue.

My thoughts? Be incognito. Dont be a gearhead. Smaller is better when it comes to a tripod. Perceptions are reality.

Hrm...that is certainly troubling. Mine folds up very little so it's inconspicuous when not in use but I certainly do enjoy getting long exposure shots at night taking advantage of a tripod's stability.

I had a Gorilla pod in the past for point-and-shoot but found it lacking. I liked the concept but mine always seemed to pop apart too easily. I'd fear for a DSLR. And generally, if I have a tall enough surface already (such as a railing, trash can, etc.), I don't really need a tripod then. Conundrum.

Thanks for the update. We'll be heading out one of these weekends too (it's just been too rainy last week and this) so I'll see what I experience when next I visit.

Cesar R M

Hrm...that is certainly troubling. Mine folds up very little so it's inconspicuous when not in use but I certainly do enjoy getting long exposure shots at night taking advantage of a tripod's stability.

I had a Gorilla pod in the past for point-and-shoot but found it lacking. I liked the concept but mine always seemed to pop apart too easily. I'd fear for a DSLR. And generally, if I have a tall enough surface already (such as a railing, trash can, etc.), I don't really need a tripod then. Conundrum.

Thanks for the update. We'll be heading out one of these weekends too (it's just been too rainy last week and this) so I'll see what I experience when next I visit.
There seems to some gorilla pods exclusively for heavy DSLRs . Some of them even have the pro lens attachment point (instead of attaching to the camera)

PhotoDave219

I don't know what to expect. Small, compact tripods and gorilla pod's should be fine. They just don't want people setting up in a crowd.

What I have figured out is that life is changing but I am not sure exactly which respect.

note2001

Heh heh....crack....butt.

Again, everything is relative. The level of acceptable-ness depends on the user :cautious:

I'll wager your outlook will start to transform in 59 days (per your sig: First Child Due in 58 days 10h 18m 23s), particularly if it's a girl ;) (Congratulations to future Mom and Dad in advance, by the way)

draybook

This year was our first trip where we actually saw CMs telling people to move it to smoking areas. And there were so many people sneaking puffs on their little vapor sticks. And I know they were sneaking them because they would literally look around and then hit it a couple of times and then slip them back into their pockets. we even had some d-bag and his girlfriend more from their seat 2 rows in front of us on the WDW Train and then get behind us and take a few puffs while we were stopped at the Frontierland stop. As some of you know from my TR, my son has asthma so that crap is not welcome.

My wife gave them a dirty look and they stopped. Had I noticed it I would have called them out. And don't get us started on strollers. Seriously, we saw so many kids that were almost my son's size in strollers....

Cesar R M

Dave, use your tripod to get some photos of these 'buttshorts' lol
I wonder if there is a website of "the people of Disney world" . A la "the people of walmart.
Speaking of walmart's people.. there are some really creepy photos. Its amazing how easy you can find certain groups like Bronies and furry livestylers.

NowInc

I wonder if there is a website of "the people of Disney world" . A la "the people of walmart.
Speaking of walmart's people.. there are some really creepy photos. Its amazing how easy you can find certain groups like Bronies and furry livestylers.

I actually have been building up a nice collection of photos of people using iPads as cameras at Disney for a future blog project. I know of another individual starting a page of adults wearing costumes (which last I checked was against the rules but somehow they don't say anything to the princesses with punk dyed hair and various piercings walking around the parks), just to showcase how silly it all looks.

JediMasterMatt

Also.

Thanks for the update Dave. Keep us up to date as needless to say, this would be a significant change in their application of the policy as the large tripod part has always been there.

I would like to know what their interpretation of setting it up in a "crowd" is.

Hopefully they get this sorted out soon. I've got a trip in November and in January and photography is a very large component of my vacations.

TheRabbit

I asked both security AND guest relations if a guest can take a photo of another guest within the park without their permission...and BOTH answered YES. So go for it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom