Walt Disney World Monorail system to operate on revised schedule from September 1

ECJack

so you pay for the transportation options of a deluxe,but get thetran sportation of a value. but have no right to complain ,especially when they have already had all summer to get it done, and no when we booked the refurb had not been announced, and as people on this forum have already stated early morning bus service from the Contemporary is pretty much non existant, and if someone in your party is disabled there goes the option for getting a taxi or riding a

First they have had ample time to get this finished. Second as many have already stated on here early morning bus service is not happening when it is taking an hour or more to get a bus, this does not work when buses don't start running until 6:45, it takes until 7:45 for the bus to arrive, oops you just missed your 7:35 adr that you made when you were told the monorail would start running at 7:00. If you have any disabled people in your party you can't take a taxi or resort launch as they can not accomadate an ecv. So yes you do have the right to be upset.

Just a question since you mention it a few times. What's considered an ample amount of time to automate a monorail system? I personally have no experience automating monorails. Since it's something they haven't done before, I understand the timeline not being exact. :eek: Don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration of not having that monorail to use. However, I also understand that this is a new project that will experience delays, especially since they are running the monorail throughout the day.

RSoxNo1

Look. First of all, you were never guaranteed a monorail at any of the so-called "monorail resorts." They aren't "boat resorts" even though they are the only resorts with boat service to the Magic Kingdom. However if lightning isn't in the area, there's no collective panic. If you do not think you are getting your value from your other amenities that is something you take up with the front desk.

This is a ridiculous conversation including a double standard. If Disney takes a ride down for two weeks it's all cheering and excitement, however if the monorail goes down for an extra few hours in the morning you people freak out like it's the end of the world. The monorails haven't seen this much attention since 1989 and all of you can't be bothered to cope with a few hours of downtimes a day. Upgrades don't happen in one night. The automatic train control upgrade requires reworking the entire monorail beam with new antennas and equipment and retrofitting the trains to work on them. This is an old system.

If you are staying at the deluxe resorts and you want to get there before the monorails open, you have both resort buses and boats (in the case of Magic Kingdom), and if you're at the Contemporary it's less than a 5 minute walk. Trying to get back at night? Same deal. If you have a disabled party member that cannot be accommodated on the boats or normal taxis, I have sympathy, however there are ADA taxis available that I'm sure someone can help you find if the bus wait is just too unbearable.

I've never had a problem with ADR reservations and being late due to transportation, just be polite and explain to someone that the bus didn't come. They're normally very accommodating. Complain to concierge that the bus didn't come on time. But do not complain that the monorail isn't open.

All-in-all this is not something you should be having an outrage over. Things need work. Yes, it's an inconvenience, but so is having the ride you love so much go down so things can get better. If your circumstances are so different then you talk to someone at the hotels who can help. But I have no sympathy for you throwing a fit online because the monorail is getting refurbishments. It is not the monorails fault that the bus didn't come on time, so take it out on buses, not the rails. But watch what you complain about, next people will be wanting a $5 meal voucher because when you come Haunted Mansion is getting a refurb during their vacation.
You absolutely pay a premium for staying at a resort that has a monorail. It is an incentive to stay there. Denying that makes you an apologist.

Yes, things require maintenance, but when that thing requires maintenance and it represents a convenience/perk, people have every right to be upset about it.

KronosKeeper

You absolutely pay a premium for staying at a resort that has a monorail. It is an incentive to stay there. Denying that makes you an apologist.

Yes, things require maintenance, but when that thing requires maintenance and it represents a convenience/perk, people have every right to be upset about it.

I suppose yes you have the right to be upset over whatever you want. Disney is offering it as a convenience to you, not a guarantee. They aren't advertised as monorail resorts, simply that they provide that as an option during their hours.

If you find anything from Disney that calls them monorail resorts or that the monorail specifically (not the nicer rooms, facilities, or the general proximity to Magic Kingdom) is why they are considered Deluxe resorts and that's why you pay the premium, let me know.

Disney never said it was the monorail that made it the deluxe resort, you did. I'm not an apologist. I'm a pragmatist. Is it okay to be reasonably frustrated that the monorail isn't available? Yes. Should someone spend more than 5 minutes upset about it? Absolutely not.

wdwgreek

Why does disagreeing with you make you an apologist. They have a different point of view, it doesn't make their argument invalid. I happen to agree with you, but I don't see why we have to call people names if they disagree with you. Calling one an apologist its unnecessary and doesn't further the conversation

RSoxNo1

I suppose yes you have the right to be upset over whatever you want. Disney is offering it as a convenience to you, not a guarantee. They aren't advertised as monorail resorts, simply that they provide that as an option during their hours.

If you find anything from Disney that calls them monorail resorts or that the monorail specifically (not the nicer rooms, facilities, or the general proximity to Magic Kingdom) is why they are considered Deluxe resorts and that's why you pay the premium, let me know.

Disney never said it was the monorail that made it the deluxe resort, you did. I'm not an apologist. I'm a pragmatist. Is it okay to be reasonably frustrated that the monorail isn't available? Yes. Should someone spend more than 5 minutes upset about it? Absolutely not.

Why does disagreeing with you make you an apologist. They have a different point of view, it doesn't make their argument invalid. I happen to agree with you, but I don't see why we have to call people names if they disagree with you. Calling one an apologist its unnecessary and doesn't further the conversation

You pay a premium for the monorail resorts because of the convenience of the transportation. Yes, there are other factors in the price, but the monorail is a big component. Check the starting prices for rooms:

The two most expensive Deluxe Resorts are the two that get the biggest benefit of being on the monorail line: Polynesian Villages and Grand Floridian.

There is no line item on your resort bill that says $20 a night for the monorail. There's also no line item on your resort bill that says $20 for Magical Express. However, it's certainly factored in. Disney has defined what this value is behind the scenes and applied it to the cost of the room. If they didn't do this, they would charge guests to use the monorail.

Figment2005

You pay a premium for the monorail resorts because of the convenience of the transportation. Yes, there are other factors in the price, but the monorail is a big component. Check the starting prices for rooms:

The two most expensive Deluxe Resorts are the two that get the biggest benefit of being on the monorail line: Polynesian Villages and Grand Floridian.

There is no line item on your resort bill that says $20 a night for the monorail. There's also no line item on your resort bill that says $20 for Magical Express. However, it's certainly factored in. Disney has defined what this value is behind the scenes and applied it to the cost of the room. If they didn't do this, they would charge guests to use the monorail.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Epcot deluxe resorts cost relatively close to the Kingdom deluxes? Animal Kingdom and Wilderness lodges are the exception as they have smaller rooms.

cw1982

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Epcot deluxe resorts cost relatively close to the Kingdom deluxes? Animal Kingdom and Wilderness lodges are the exception as they have smaller rooms.

I don't know the answer to that, but if I'm specifically paying $500/night because I want access to use the monorail to get to the parks, then I have every right to expect use of the monorail. Many people have been blindsided by the monorails being on restricted hours, and for those with mobility issues, ADR's that are first thing in the morning, or anyone who paid more than what they would have paid elsewhere for use of that system, this is unacceptable. Many people didn't know about the changes over the summer until they got to the monorail and we're greeted with signs. There's no reason for that to happen with planned maintenance.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: for Disney to not do more to notify people about this in advance demonstrates that they are not taking simple steps to maximize guest experiences. In some ways, this is just indicative of the same decline in quality that is seeping through in other areas as well.

Figment2005

I don't know the answer to that, but if I'm specifically paying $500/night because I want access to use the monorail to get to the parks, then I have every right to expect use of the monorail. Many people have been blindsided by the monorails being on restricted hours, and for those with mobility issues, ADR's that are first thing in the morning, or anyone who paid more than what they would have paid elsewhere for use of that system, this is unacceptable. Many people didn't know about the changes over the summer until they got to the monorail and we're greeted with signs. There's no reason for that to happen with planned maintenance.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: for Disney to not do more to notify people about this in advance demonstrates that they are not taking simple steps to maximize guest experiences. In some ways, this is just indicative of the same decline in quality that is seeping through in other areas as well.
Then take it out on the resorts. Monorails inform them and it is their responsibility to inform guests. Monorails cannot be blamed for things that happen outside of monorails.

cw1982

Then take it out on the resorts. Monorails inform them and it is their responsibility to inform guests. Monorails cannot be blamed for things that happen outside of monorails.

I never said what branch of Disney I was taking it out on, but I'm tired of Disney apologists acting like things like this are okay. You're right that the resorts should be communicating this information with guests, but like I said this pattern of subpar standards is getting to be more and more visible across anything tied to Disney World. Think about how bad the bus services are for some of the resorts. Think about how some of the rides go far too long without certain repairs taking place. A few of the resorts themselves are even developing a bit of a reputation for crappy service.

Besides, you act like I'm the first one to mention the resorts in this. I was responding to your question about whether or not the Epcot deluxes were comparable in price to the monorail resorts, yet you're trying to tell me that the two are not connected? My whole point was that it really doesn't matter whether they cost the same or not. If a guest picks a certain hotel to visit based on specific features, it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to use those features.

Last edited:

ninjaprincesst

I agree, and Disney needs to make sure that the alternate transportation is reliable and timely. Spending over an hour waiting on a bus is insane.

cw1982

I agree, and Disney needs to make sure that the alternate transportation is reliable and timely. Spending over an hour waiting on a bus is insane.

Right. Sure, the resorts should be notifying guests about changes in the monorail schedule, but transportation should be picking up the slack. Considering how often guests end up waiting unreasonable amounts of time for a bus on a normal day, I just don't have faith in them to keep up an even better pace in times when they should know that this is necessary.

s8film40

funny, disney makes no distinction on the physical location on their website...
deluxe_zps91cea55b.jpg

Yeah all throughout the website they advertise the monorail as one of the key features of the "monorail" resorts. They even allow you to select your resort based on the type of transportation available, where you can actually yes choose a monorail resort.
DFdRF18l.png

Obviously nothing is guaranteed but this is the reason those resorts cost more.

ninjaprincesst

Sorry but having to walk from the Contemporary to the Poly because the monorail is not working, when it was not mentioned at all at the time of booking, and they are obviously incapable of providing early morning bus service as many on here have stated, can't take a taxi because a member of your party is disabled, yeah I'm upset for move than five minutes.

cw1982

:banghead:

I can't, for the life of me, see why anyone would begrudge guests for being ticked about this.

Because there are people who think Disney can do no wrong and that if you don't eat, sleep, and breathe Disney before your trip, then you clearly don't deserve to have a good trip, no matter how much you paid for that room and those tickets. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with being prepared, but needing to be able to adjust one's plans at the last minute after they have already spent the last six months planning, especially when the change is necessary due to something WDW knew ahead of time and chose to not make readily available to all guests, is flat ridiculous.

Last edited:

wdwgreek

Again, I agree with you a thousand percent! my issue wasn't with your point...

ninjaprincesst

Just a question since you mention it a few times. What's considered an ample amount of time to automate a monorail system? I personally have no experience automating monorails. Since it's something they haven't done before, I understand the timeline not being exact. :eek: Don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration of not having that monorail to use. However, I also understand that this is a new project that will experience delays, especially since they are running the monorail throughout the day.
It would seem to me that an entire summer should be plenty to do computer work, and I don't understand why they can't just do it overnite when the monorail is not running anyway. I know there are tons of Disney employees who have to work over night so it would not kill the monorail people to do it.

kbmum

What I find interesting is that most, if not all, of the people who are saying we should stop complaining and suck it up have not had a vacation impacted by the schedule change. My expensive vacation at a monorail resort was most definitely affected every single morning we went to MK and Epcot (always for park opening).

There is absolutely no reason to have such terrible bus service. We had no issues with the buses to DHS and AK, so Disney certainly knows how to run transportation from the Contemporary. I don't understand why they didn't put the MK and Epcot buses on that same type of schedule. If they had run every 20 minutes like the other park buses, I would have had a much less stressful vacation.

Guest transportation is not a convenience, it's a necessity that Disney is obligated to provide. It did not provide reliable or timely transportation to the two most popular parks during my trip. As for changing resorts, that's easier said than done. I have DVC and not only are there strict rules if you want to change reservations less than 31 days prior to arrival (we were less than two weeks out when the notice was posted here), there were no comparable accommodations available due to the July 4th holiday.

boufa

:banghead:

I can't, for the life of me, see why anyone would begrudge guests for being ticked about this.

Agreed... funny thing is that anger is not a solution. I'm not sure WHAT they expect Disney to do. ... "OK guys clear the line! the Poly called and they got someone who needs to get somewhere.. fire up the monorails, the work can wait!"

The work needs to be done, even if its an inconvenience. The Monorails need love, and just like the highways, construction happens, and its inconvenient at times. Talk to Disney and see what they will do for you... maybe a discount, maybe move you to another resort, maybe arrange better ADR times... but all the crying and complaining isn't going to change the project... also not a single word spoken on this forum is going to influence any DIsney decisions. Be mad here all you want, but ultimately being mad on the phone to Disney is the only thing that is going to matter. Call the hotel GM, try to get the VP of resorts and transportation (they are the same department now). Share your displeasure, but yelling at us isn't fixing a darn thing for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom