American Film Institute Showcase permanently closing at the end of this week

Ignohippo

I saw this news this morning as was completely blown away. So upset to see it leaving.

IMO, this is the type of thing there should be MORE of – not less. If anything, I'd like to see The Great Movie Ride changed to a walkthrough where you can actually walk around the sets of some of your favorite movies and see the actual props and costumes.

Especially the Star Wars stuff. So sad to see it go.

The only thing I can figure is that the contract came up and the Backlot Tour's days are truly numbered this time. Why they couldn't extend the AFI's contract until that happens is beyond me though. Maybe, sadly, it's just too expensive to continue – which would be a truly pathetic reason.

willtravel

I saw this news this morning as was completely blown away. So upset to see it leaving.

IMO, this is the type of thing there should be MORE of – not less. If anything, I'd like to see The Great Movie Ride changed to a walkthrough where you can actually walk around the sets of some of your favorite movies and see the actual props and costumes.

Especially the Star Wars stuff. So sad to see it go.

The only thing I can figure is that the contract came up and the Backlot Tour's days are truly numbered this time. Why they couldn't extend the AFI's contract until that happens is beyond me though. Maybe, sadly, it's just too expensive to continue – which would be a truly pathetic reason.
If it is all behind glass that would work. If not, I would be concerned what would happen to the sets.

FrankLapidus

Disappointed to see it close, the Backlot Tour is a sad, pale shadow of what it once was and I thought the exhibit was one of the very few worthwhile things left. It feels too much to hope for a quality replacement at DHS these days but hopefully the end game for the park will be worthwhile.

zooey

I remember going on the backlot tour in 89 when the park first opened, but I didn't go on this as an adult when I started going back to the parks a few years ago. This AFI exhibit is something I would have really enjoyed. I had no idea it even existed! Everyone always said the backlot tour wasn't worth it anymore, but I didn't know a mini museum was at the end...

omurice

At this point lets seriously think of shutting the whole park down. It has no direction... It has more vacant buildings with some recent closing a coming up then any other park. No daytime parade and the night time Fantasmic, well, I think we can agree needs tons
of work.
I predict that in 5 years there will be 1-2 things left to do in DHS. Everyone will be sitting around Echo lake and, oh wait, that will be drained. So depressing.
On a serious note, no matter how small, whether we like it or not, anything that leaves the park should replaced with something. The parks should always continue to be upgraded.
I think I'm trying to convince myself reading that back.

You're right about replacement, it's shocking when buildings sit empty.
I'd rather believe in about 7 years, we could have more to do than now, in terms of attractions.

What I'm concerned about is if they cut the human element out in favor "push-button" attractions. Live performers is what makes this park unique, and one by one all over the resort, except for a few M&Gs flourishing beyond all expectation, things that feature live performers are tending to get cut.
I want some E-tickets like everyone else. But whether you call it Disney's Hollywood, or Hollywood Adventure, or whatever, hope they can remember - live performers are the soul of this park!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom