PhotoPass print packages and table-side sales at restaurants to be discontinued later this month

Dwarful

I will be sad to see them go...we always did one big family picture every year at a few of these....the photos with Cinderella over the years as our girls grew up...going with different family members. Guess we were lucky enough to have the photographer time it right where everyone was looking at the same time.

We did the Star Wars breakfast and it included the download. I wasn't as happy with that, I'd rather have the photo ready. That way if it isn't right they were always willing to retake it for us.

ToTBellHop

I totally disagree. We've never been presented with pictures at a character meal that had any of those issues.
How lucky for you. When I think of the PhotoPass program in general, most images are dreadful. This is because most PhotoPass CMs do not know how to use the cameras they have.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
How lucky for you. When I think of the PhotoPass program in general, most images are dreadful. This is because most PhotoPass CMs do not know how to use the cameras they have.

There are always exceptions, most of the PhotoPass photographers do know what they are doing, some are actually fairly skilled photographers while some are either not motivated and don't know or don't care to learn. They are also not provided the best equipment and lenses to support really good photography.

We do purchase the Memory Maker / PhotoPass+ package for our trips but also have them take photos with my camera and lens with settings I set so I know exactly what I am getting. In my experience the photographers are much nicer, take more time setting up the scene and will take more shots using both their camera and mine when we have the package vs. when we had not, just food for thought.

ToTBellHop

There are always exceptions, most of the PhotoPass photographers do know what they are doing, some are actually fairly skilled photographers while some are either not motivated and don't know or don't care to learn. They are also not provided the best equipment and lenses to support really good photography.

We do purchase the Memory Maker / PhotoPass+ package for our trips but also have them take photos with my camera and lens with settings I set so I know exactly what I am getting. In my experience the photographers are much nicer, take more time setting up the scene and will take more shots using both their camera and mine when we have the package vs. when we had not, just food for thought.
In my mind (and that's just my opinion), that package is one of Disney's most obscene rip-offs. You won't find me spending $200 on a CD of pictures. I could get a private photo shoot at home with far more talented photographers for little more than that. And not have other people in my pictures.

Lord_Vader

In my mind (and that's just my opinion), that package is one of Disney's most obscene rip-offs. You won't find me spending $200 on a CD of pictures. I could get a private photo shoot at home with far more talented photographers for little more than that. And not have other people in my pictures.

Really? A half-a**ed studio session here runs $50 and you get one pose and a few prints in a cookie cutter pose. The CD of your images (usually around 20-30) in reduced quality no less, costs $100 if you purchased a print package. Photography is an art and good art is expensive in general.

For us, $149 in advance Memory Maker package with all the attraction photos, restaurant photos and the PhotoPass options are a good deal. We had over 300 pictures from our Christmas vacation before we added any frames etc. Now, not all of them were good shots but some of them were great shots. I load them in digital frames, send copies via DropBox to grandparents so they can put them on their frames and print what we want through a studio lab I have access to.

Now, I have a much better setup than any of the PhotoPass photographers which I do find a bit sad but they are taking hundreds to thousands of shots per day and a full-frame or even high end DSLR and professional lenses cost too much for their volume and price to justify their use. Good equipment does not equate to good photography as the skill of the photographer trumps much of the lack of good equipment but in general the PhotoPass CMs are pretty good but are rushed due to very high volume of guests wanting pictures.

Disney Event Photography IS expensive but again, worth the price if getting access and images you simply cannot get on your own is important to you and your family. I guess it all boils down to whether you want Kobe Steak or hamburger in the end.

Lord_Vader

They should at least include it for the people that have already made their reservations for those places.

I would agree with that, we purchased the Memory Maker for our upcoming vacation and as we are eating at a couple of these restaurants they should be honored.

Unfortunately they don't sell the PhotoPass+ package anymore and didn't even during Christmas last year, only the Memory Maker package and it only includes digital downloads and not the actual prints at most restaurants. While I really like the downloaded photos, the packages with the sleeves and "bonus" print were always a nice touch.

dreamfinder

I would agree with that, we purchased the Memory Maker for our upcoming vacation and as we are eating at a couple of these restaurants they should be honored.

I don't see why they wouldn't be. By all accounts they are just stopping the practice of printing the photos and trying to sell them table side. As long as they still have a photographer, when they scan your MB/Memory Maker card it should tag the photo as being free on your PhotoPass account, and included in your download instead of having to pay a separate price.

HRHPrincessAriel

I don't see why they wouldn't be. By all accounts they are just stopping the practice of printing the photos and trying to sell them table side. As long as they still have a photographer, when they scan your MB/Memory Maker card it should tag the photo as being free on your PhotoPass account, and included in your download instead of having to pay a separate price.
That's how I'm reading it as well. I even thought to myself while we were there that they were wasting $ printing the pictures. We always just waved them on.

Lord_Vader

There were folks who purchased packages (mostly overseas offers) that included PhotoPass+ which included prints at restaurants, that was all I was saying. Me, I perfectly happy to get the digital copies for the most part.

Dwarful

I liked the printed copies and the cardstock frames they came with. We don't use them for display but did add them to the scrapbook and it was fun to see the recipes change over the years on them as well.

EGelb

"Please note: Print packages will continue to be included at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall until January 4, 2015. However, please be aware that all packages sold for arrivals after January 4, 2015 will no longer include print packaging. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

:(

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I mostly used the digital anyway . I was always get getting rid of mine some how - We did 3/4 meals last trip that included the pictures. I think I sent them out to grandparents and great grand parents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom