MagicBand sales to begin at off-property retail locations

wogwog

The FitBit issue was allergic reactions to nickle and only happened on one model. All other FitBits are on sale with zero issues.

If widespread issues with MBs were to occur they would have already popped up. The heat and humidity has been in effect since they began testing these with guests last year.
Some one will always have a legitimate allergy to the cheap rubber or plastic in the bands. The cards will remain available. Just ask and if you sense reluctance from the cast ask for a Manager.

MissM

This is the official line from their website

The MagicBand uses radio frequency (RF) technology and can be read by short and long-range readers located at the Walt Disney World Resort. If you prefer to use an RF card, which cannot be detected by long-range readers, you can request an RF card at your Disney Resort hotel, and you do not need to customize your MagicBand.
I didn't get a photo of it, but they actually have a disclaimer to this effect at places like registers in Magic Kingdom. I saw a sign at a register in the Frontierland Mercantile shop last Friday that said something very similar to this quote. There clearly must have been some backlash that Disney wasn't being as upfront about the privacy/tracking concerns for them to put signs up IN THE PARK telling you how to opt out of tracking. So if a CM makes it seem like it's not possible/too difficult/not an option, just ask for a manager. Getting a card definitely remains an option.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I wonder how long before they have a 'FitBit' issue with rashes where the band sits. As summer is coming up and with the heat and humidity, these can't be 'hypoallergenic' for all. Those people would have to get the cards, I'd imagine.

I saw guests with them MBs on lanyards, also some who had them on their belt loops and belts also on string backpacks.
On a 90 degree day my DD last month had issues with hers, not sure if it was an allergy (she has many including contact allergies) or if it was prickly heat, sweat, suntan lotion combo. It was better the next day. Switching wrists might help for some too.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks for answering. I'm hoping this is a case where front line CM's are just (erroneously) assuming that since Magic Bands are now fully rolled-out (more or less) that the cards days are numbered.

If enough people object to wearing a silly colored bracelet I can't see Disney doing away with RFID cards. However, I would expect many guests will just take what they are given and probably don't even realize they can request a band, so the numbers may be small.

Having just returned from a WDW vacation 2 days ago, I thought I'd mention here that I saw many people still using the plastic card in the parks. I bought my card at AAA prior to my trip, and I had no desire to "upgrade" this at WDW to a band—not to mention they would charge me $12.95 for the band. (Also, you can use either a plastic card, or a band, when utilizing the MMagic+ kiosks inside the parks.)

As an off-site (hotel) guest, I don't really see any benefit to the bands. Even if they weren't charging off-site guests extra for the band, I still wouldn't want one; because I don't want to wear it. The plastic cards are small and flat, and easily fit into my mini-purse that I take with me to the parks.

I hope they continue to offer both options to guests.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Not sure this will ever be true due to certain religions not allowing people to wear jewelry and such.
Not to mention that there would be severe ADA implications in only offering the wristbands. What happens for a guest who has no wrists? Although they could probably figure out a way to jury rig MBs, keeping KTTW available certainly seems to fall under the "reasonably accommodation" clause in ADA, and is in line with standard ticket practices throughout the country

CDavid

Having just returned from a WDW vacation 2 days ago, I thought I'd mention here that I saw many people still using the plastic card in the parks. I bought my card at AAA prior to my trip, and I had no desire to "upgrade" this at WDW to a band—not to mention they would charge me $12.95 for the band. (Also, you can use either a plastic card, or a band, when utilizing the MMagic+ kiosks inside the parks.)

As an off-site (hotel) guest, I don't really see any benefit to the bands. Even if they weren't charging off-site guests extra for the band, I still wouldn't want one; because I don't want to wear it. The plastic cards are small and flat, and easily fit into my mini-purse that I take with me to the parks.

I hope they continue to offer both options to guests.

I really don't see Disney getting rid of the cards at all, but particularly not as long as off-site, third party ticket vendors continue to use RFID cards. In addition, there are all those tickets sold in bulk to various groups, or the 'free one-day' tickets given away by local timeshare salesmen. I don't see these ever being converted over to bands (much more expensive), and so long as they remain there seems no reason not to allow their use by resort guests.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not to mention that there would be severe ADA implications in only offering the wristbands. What happens for a guest who has no wrists?

Uhh.. no. No violation here and this is uber-stretching. The band doesn't need to be on your wrist to work, and could easily be agumented with a lanyard or something else. No concerns here at all.

The cards will continue to be offered because of the long range tracking features of the band so they can appease privacy, religious, and others that insist on opt'ing out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney will PUSH the bands... but must keep the cards as long as there are no passive bands available. Disney is motivated to have everyone use bands, not cards. They lose the value add of the tracking features and everything built upon that when you don't use bands.. hence the big push to have everyone use them.

I'm honestly surprised they aren't just giving them away when you buy a ticket. Someone probably just say "that is leaving money on the table..." and apparently they are right! Because people are paying for them.

The passive token (currently your card) is Disney's 'opt-out' model and they will continue to have one.

If you can get hotel keycards or not... is a different topic entirely. Disney will be motivated to not double up cards+bands like they did during original testing and of course is pushing the bands for your tickets.. so handing out classic KTTW stuff is probably not their desire.

Kman101

Call me lazy but I love using the MB to enter the park. I think that part of it is great. It doesn't fit super great on the wrist but really isn't that big of a tragedy. I take issue with data mining and the linking of cards to it (which thankfully isn't an option for me, linking a credit/debit card to it). To enter the park, it works fine usually. I hate they spent all that money on it and I know FP+ isn't the most loved aspect of it, but I've seen some benefits to me so I think it gets a tiny bit of a bad rap. JMO. I know I'm going against the grain in despising it but it's not the worst thing ever. Again, the amount spent sucks but they spent it.

I took a bit more issue with the rows and rows of bands they were selling as well as the ugly signs that promote MB's inside of a store. I sure wouldn't buy one even though I like the minor convenience, but a card works just the same, so it's simply a matter of preference.

But I'm all for them trying to hurry up and get that money back, lol.

R W B

I wonder how many people will just buy one to make a fashion statement....with no intentions of going to WDW?
Is this going to be the new "rubber band" bracelet? The new Live Strong? You will NEVER see me with one on outside of WDW!
I live in New Orleans and went to wdw in march, we drive both ways. Well after our week stay we were driving back home and I got to Tallahassee before I realized I still had the Magic Band on lol, already got gas and stopped for food before then too lol.

danv3

I can't imagine paying for a MB. All that gets you as an off property guest is a moderately convenient way to pay for your transactions and enter the park. You have MM+ with or without the band, and you're going to need a room key to enter your off property hotel room, plus you'll still need to carry a drivers license since presumably you're driving on to the property.

That $50 for a party of four can (depending on price increases) buy you lunch at Sunshine Seasons instead.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Disney will PUSH the bands... but must keep the cards as long as there are no passive bands available. Disney is motivated to have everyone use bands, not cards. They lose the value add of the tracking features and everything built upon that when you don't use bands.. hence the big push to have everyone use them.

I'm honestly surprised they aren't just giving them away when you buy a ticket. Someone probably just say "that is leaving money on the table..." and apparently they are right! Because people are paying for them.

The passive token (currently your card) is Disney's 'opt-out' model and they will continue to have one.

If you can get hotel keycards or not... is a different topic entirely. Disney will be motivated to not double up cards+bands like they did during original testing and of course is pushing the bands for your tickets.. so handing out classic KTTW stuff is probably not their desire.
The mistake they made, for this model, was keeping it branded instead of spinning it up as a "third party" concept partnering with other brands.

Rob562

I can't imagine paying for a MB. All that gets you as an off property guest is a moderately convenient way to pay for your transactions and enter the park. You have MM+ with or without the band, and you're going to need a room key to enter your off property hotel room, plus you'll still need to carry a drivers license since presumably you're driving on to the property.

That $50 for a party of four can (depending on price increases) buy you lunch at Sunshine Seasons instead.

Actually, Guests not staying at a Disney resort cannot (currently) use the Bands for payment. Presumably they might work something out in the future, but as things stand now, it's on-property only.

I've posted this in another thread talking about the Bands, but my presumption is that using the Bands for non-resort charge accounts (credit cards, debit cards, etc) could potentially be a logistical nightmare open to errors, fraudulent charges and extra fees paid by Disney.

At the moment when you charge something to your room, you're charging it to an *internal* Disney account. Disney has total control over that account and can easily add and subtract from it, make corrections, etc with zero problems or fees. They only pay the transaction fees when the charges are actually pushed through to the credit cards. They can also set their own policy on what constitutes "secure" access to that account (namely the PIN you enter when purchasing).

If they were to push every charge through to the credit card, there are card-in-hand requirements, signature requirements, proof of ID, etc, not to mention the individual transaction charges paid to the card company by Disney. Error correction is also a headache.

If Disney can't come to an agreement with the card companies, the best option I see for them is to create pre-charge debit accounts via the Disney Gift Card system. So instead of charging your credit card for each purchase, you can load up a gift card account and link it to your Band/DME account. That card doesn't even need to be a physical card. You can just create a virtual one, or you can have it be both physical and virtual.

I have that now with Dunkin Donuts. I got a gift card as a present. I linked it to the DD app on my phone. I can then either use the physical card or the phone app to pay at Dunkin and the funds come out of the same account. I can also reload the card whenever I want, again via the app, website or in the store. You can also just purchase a virtual gift card via the phone app and use and replenish that, but you're limited to only ever using the phone app to pay using that particular "card".

Now, if you replace the phone app in my scenario with a Magic Band, that's what I see Disney doing. (All purely speculation on my part, though) Perhaps adding a "recharge my card account" option on the MDE app.

-Rob

danv3

Actually, Guests not staying at a Disney resort cannot (currently) use the Bands for payment. Presumably they might work something out in the future, but as things stand now, it's on-property only.

Interesting. I did not know that but it makes sense. In my estimation, this takes the value of a MB for an off property guest down from "limited" to "essentially none."

MOXOMUMD

I live in New Orleans and went to wdw in march, we drive both ways. Well after our week stay we were driving back home and I got to Tallahassee before I realized I still had the Magic Band on lol, already got gas and stopped for food before then too lol.
That must have been one comfortable band. :)

arko

Interesting. I did not know that but it makes sense. In my estimation, this takes the value of a MB for an off property guest down from "limited" to "essentially none."

It has the value of anything purchased at Disney, its as valuable as the person buying it wants it to be. Disney offering them for sale is simply giving people a choice nothing more.

Uncle Lupe

Like any item sold at Disney the ways to package and sell them are limitless. I am sure they have many limited edition ideas to push them out the door. A Magic band to match your limited Vinylmation. Into retro EPCOT? Magic bands with the old pavilion logos, to go with your $35 tee shirt. Special event Magic bands for event guests only. Even if they just make this type of stuff in the sleeves or Bandits that cover the bands those probably have a higher markup and are easier to sell at the lower price point. But I do not see a good reason to buy one while not at Disney World.

Also, the real time crowd analytics are a very valuable tool if used correctly.

Dwarful

I was the only one in our family to have any issues with the band in regards to rashes. My wrist was a mess by day three. The rest of my family had no issues. I wonder if mine was a combination heat and reaction with medicines that I take daily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom