Frozen merchandise purchases at the parks to be limited in number

FerretAfros

If Disney were smart, they'd restrict based on credit card, for example - rather than the individual. You'd then have to rotate credit cards too. Of course you can always use cash... But if you're buying THAT much stuff... You'd have to have one helluva money clip in your pants.
Isn't this what they created MagicBands for? To track your spending throughout your vacation? Seems like this would be a pretty obvious place to implement the technology if they were actually that concerned about enforcing the limit

BoarderPhreak

Isn't this what they created MagicBands for? To track your spending throughout your vacation? Seems like this would be a pretty obvious place to implement the technology if they were actually that concerned about enforcing the limit
True, but not every guest has a MagicBand. Everyone buying merch has a CC though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For all of you complaining it is called supply and demand. Nobody complains when the new iPhone comes out and everyone is willing to pay double on Amazon or eBay. You pay a different price everyday for gas and you nobody gets on a blog and complains about that. I bet if you lived within a few minutes of a Disney Theme Park you all would do the same thing.

No it's just as slimey as when people buy up consoles to resell them. Buying up retail inventory with the sole intent of reselling at profit is not 'supply and demand' - it's exploitation

Hyperspace Hoopla

Disney always talks a good game about trying to block scalpers by limiting purchases etc.. They always did this with Star Wars weekends merchandise.

This year, rather that block scalpers, they are charging them $250 to attend the "Rebel Rendevous" and letting them buy what they want the day before SWW opens. Do they care about stopping scalping, or do they care about not getting their cut?

cw1982

Disney always talks a good game about trying to block scalpers by limiting purchases etc.. They always did this with Star Wars weekends merchandise.

This year, rather that block scalpers, they are charging them $250 to attend the "Rebel Rendevous" and letting them buy what they want the day before SWW opens. Do they care about stopping scalping, or do they care about not getting their cut?

Maybe I'm way off base here, but wouldn't the $250 fee be a good deterrent for scalpers to start with? That adds quite a bit to the amount they're having to pay up front in hopes of making a profit even after that fee. I thought the $250 fee was for die-hard fans to get the first opportunity to buy what they wanted before things sell out, in addition to whatever other odds and ends come in the package.

cw1982

Why not increase price? Supply/Demand..... Econ 101.

Based on what we're seeing in terms of people being willing to wait in line for meet and greets for Frozen, I would say that the price point would have to be raised pretty considerably to make much of an impact on the demand of the souvenirs in the parks right about now.

Hyperspace Hoopla

Maybe I'm way off base here, but wouldn't the $250 fee be a good deterrent for scalpers to start with? That adds quite a bit to the amount they're having to pay up front in hopes of making a profit even after that fee. I thought the $250 fee was for die-hard fans to get the first opportunity to buy what they wanted before things sell out, in addition to whatever other odds and ends come in the package.

Yeah, I guess. Some of the items (like the super exclusives and the statues, etc..) sell for three or four times cost. They can more that make that $250 back on one item.

BoarderPhreak

...This year, rather that block scalpers, they are charging them $250 to attend the "Rebel Rendevous" and letting them buy what they want the day before SWW opens. Do they care about stopping scalping, or do they care about not getting their cut?
ROFL! Disney is insane... The people paying this even more so.

Disney wants their cut - they couldn't care less about scalping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom