MagicBands available to purchase next week for offsite guests at a lower than expected price point

DizPlutoFan

i understand giving these to offsite but it went from being really excited and something i felt was spechial and an extra reason to go to the resorts just annoying. I think resort guest should get at lest 4 FP not 3 and everyone else gets 3 just to give the resorts a little something extra but oh well i this love this system :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, if you are not an on-site guest, do you have to have the band to get into the parks, or is this just to be able to make a FastPass+ reservation?
It is not required for anything. Your standard RFID ticket will give you access to FP+ and park entry. The band is purely for convenience of having it on your wrist.

Jason W.

Just to clarify... If magic bands are only available at the parks (to visitors staying off site), are you able to buy your tickets on - line, link them to the My Disney Experience App and make fast pass selections 30 days in advance?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just to clarify... If magic bands are only available at the parks (to visitors staying off site), are you able to buy your tickets on - line, link them to the My Disney Experience App and make fast pass selections 30 days in advance?
Yes

cw1982

How are they going to check for resort guests during EMH now? Personally, I think the magic bands should have been exclusively for resort guests and AP holders.

Only thing I can figure is that the MB's will be linked to our reservations, so CM's will be able to tell who is supposed to be taking advantage of EMH based on the way they scan, maybe? As in, maybe guests will use the FP+ line during EMH and the scanner will tell the CM whether or not to let a guest in based on whether or not the guest shows up as having reservations onsite...

But I could be (very well probably am) way off.

cw1982

One thing I've been curious about... I've never bought tickets to WDW without having resort reservations as well, so I don't know much about how that works. When one buys WDW tickets, are they for specific dates? This seems foreign to me, because usually if I'm buying tickets to a theme park I'm not buying them in advance... but I guess they must be date specific somehow now if guests can register for FP+ without hotel reservations.

Rob562

Only thing I can figure is that the MB's will be linked to our reservations, so CM's will be able to tell who is supposed to be taking advantage of EMH based on the way they scan, maybe? As in, maybe guests will use the FP+ line during EMH and the scanner will tell the CM whether or not to let a guest in based on whether or not the guest shows up as having reservations onsite...

But I could be (very well probably am) way off.

The Bands are linked to peoples' MDE profiles, and the hotel reservations are also linked to those profiles. So a hand-held scanner will be able to tell if a particular Band is associated with an active hotel reservation. CM's located at the entrances to rides will scan the Bands.

One thing I've been curious about... I've never bought tickets to WDW without having resort reservations as well, so I don't know much about how that works. When one buys WDW tickets, are they for specific dates? This seems foreign to me, because usually if I'm buying tickets to a theme park I'm not buying them in advance... but I guess they must be date specific somehow now if guests can register for FP+ without hotel reservations.

Magic Your Way tickets aren't linked to any specific dates (even if they're purchased as part of a vacation package). Once purchased, they're good indefinitely until you start to use them. A MYW ticket will then expire 14 days after its first use, or until the last day of admission is used, whichever happens first.
Adding the No-Expiration option to the ticket will keep those unused days from expiring and they can then be used at any future point.

In order to use FP+ in advance, you'll have to link the ticket to your MDE profile. You're then limited to the number of days on the ticket.

-Rob

cw1982

Magic Your Way tickets aren't linked to any specific dates (even if they're purchased as part of a vacation package). Once purchased, they're good indefinitely until you start to use them. A MYW ticket will then expire 14 days after its first use, or until the last day of admission is used, whichever happens first.
Adding the No-Expiration option to the ticket will keep those unused days from expiring and they can then be used at any future point.

In order to use FP+ in advance, you'll have to link the ticket to your MDE profile. You're then limited to the number of days on the ticket.

-Rob

Right, but what I don't understand is how is Disney going to allow offsite guests to use FP+ 30 days before they use their tickets if the tickets don't have a date tied to them? I have the feeling that I'm missing something here... lol.

Not that it matters for me for this trip, since we're staying at the Pop... I had just been wondering.

Rob562

Right, but what I don't understand is how is Disney going to allow offsite guests to use FP+ 30 days before they use their tickets if the tickets don't have a date tied to them? I have the feeling that I'm missing something here... lol.

Not that it matters for me for this trip, since we're staying at the Pop... I had just been wondering.

If you have a 7-day MYW ticket, you'll be able to make 7 days' worth of FP+ reservations. Any 7 days. (Presumably the system will also give errors if those 7 days aren't within a valid 14-day window for a ticket without the No Expiration option.)

I think where your confusion lies is that there doesn't seem to be anything stopping someone from making FP+ reservations for days that they don't even intend to enter the parks, but I don't think that'll be much of a problem. Plus given enough time and data points, the FP+ system can easily take those "phantom" reservations into account and "overbook" the FP+ windows slightly.

Though there are some things we won't be able to answer until people start playing with it on Monday.

-Rob

jrlbc06

I am staying either offsite or in the Swan / Dolphin in May. I have several magic bands already. Can I link them to the ticket that I'm going to be using for this trip and not have to buy another one?

Rob562

As far as I have heard, they will only be available in the theme parks and downtown disney. Keeping them out of the resorts shops for now.

Well that makes sense, since most people who'd be walking through the stores in the resorts would already have Bands...

I am staying either offsite or in the Swan / Dolphin in May. I have several magic bands already. Can I link them to the ticket that I'm going to be using for this trip and not have to buy another one?

Yes, you can use the new tickets with your existing Bands, but in reality tickets are not linked directly to the Bands.

Instead, think of the tickets and Bands as both being linked to your MDE profile and they talk to each other through the profile. A Band (and RFID cards) are just pointers back to your profile.

-Rob

jrlbc06

I have four magic bands actually.....can I link one to someone who will be traveling with me who hasn't had one before? Or will they have to buy one?

DisLuver

Yes. I have several Magic Bands linked to the same ticket (AP). It works interchangeably. Same has been done for split stays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom