Magic Kingdom and Disney's Animal Kingdom hours extended this week

I've been wondering about how they handle park staffing when they do these short-notice extension of hours, specifically the same day ones. For example, do the CM's show up for a 4p-12a shift and get told they have to stay an extra hour? Or is there an on-call pool? Maybe the announcement is the same day, but management / staff have known for several days? Just wondering.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've been wondering about how they handle park staffing when they do these short-notice extension of hours, specifically the same day ones. For example, do the CM's show up for a 4p-12a shift and get told they have to stay an extra hour? Or is there an on-call pool? Maybe the announcement is the same day, but management / staff have known for several days? Just wondering.
Yep they are told they are being extended in most cases - same day.

Disneyfanman

My son did the college program multiple years and he was simply told that he would have to stay. He ended up working multiple 15 hour days. It happened frequently during the holiday periods, and if people in the CP didn't like it they could leave the program (The expectations were explained up front). I don't have any insight into the folks that were the regular employees.

Sped2424

My son did the college program multiple years and he was simply told that he would have to stay. He ended up working multiple 15 hour days. It happened frequently during the holiday periods, and if people in the CP didn't like it they could leave the program (The expectations were explained up front). I don't have any insight into the folks that were the regular employees.
Same thing with regular employees, you are expected to finish your shift. It's why a lot of my friends don't like closing during any holiday season.

note2001

do they even get compensation for the extra hours?

Most of the park workers are not salary so they would receive compensation and possibly overtime for the extra hours worked.

Salary employees, like with any company, are expected to do their job to completion. The extra effort & time put forth would show up in their reviews and, if eligible, they may receive bonuses accordingly. Disney is also known for showing appreciation to employees that put forth extra effort.

Cesar R M

Most of the park workers are not salary so they would receive compensation and possibly overtime for the extra hours worked.

Salary employees, like with any company, are expected to do their job to completion. The extra effort & time put forth would show up in their reviews and, if eligible, they may receive bonuses accordingly. Disney is also known for showing appreciation to employees that put forth extra effort.
but arent the "on salary means on contract, on contract means certain hours".?
also I hope you can rephrase the first part of your reply, because it is confusing for me o_o

Violiav

If you've every worked retail- salary is management. If they work more than 40 hrs, they don't get paid more.
The better ones usually work more than 40, regardless of their actual assigned shift.
Hourly are your basic grunts, more than 40 means o/t.

note2001

but arent the "on salary means on contract, on contract means certain hours".?
also I hope you can rephrase the first part of your reply, because it is confusing for me o_o

The term management has a double meaning so you can't go by that. Not all managers are salary employees, although chances are they are if the company expects them to put in a ton of hours (get the most for their money). Most white collar workers are salary, but not everyone is a manager.

A decent link that explains the difference for you: http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/emplo...nce-Between-Salaried-And-Hourly-Employees.htm

Most of Disney's employees are paid hourly and understand what is being asked of them going in. If they're asked to work longer shifts, they work it and keep a smile on their faces while doing so. College Programmers are probably the ones caught off guard the most by the requests to work longer shifts. Their goal in working Disney is to make a few bucks and have fun. :D Pssst: if you're considering applying to the CP, ask for a water park ... I've heard life guarding is the best position.

Last edited:

Mania4

Here's how it works for a day of park hours extension in the 12:00 or 13:00 hour the duty manager looks at current guest attendance versus the forecast. Based on certain metrics they make the decision to extend park hours. If you are a closing CM you are force-extended to close. Any CM union or not receives OT pay for any time worked over 8 hours in the same day. If you work six days in a row in the same week, the sixth day you work all hours are paid in OT. If you work all seven days (Sun-Sat) Fri all hours would be paid OT and Sat all hours would be paid 2OT. If you are salaried management, well you get your salary pay with the possibly of leaving an hour early on another shift.

Cesar R M

The term management has a double meaning so you can't go by that. Not all managers are salary employees, although chances are they are if the company expects them to put in a ton of hours (get the most for their money). Most white collar workers are salary, but not everyone is a manager.

A decent link that explains the difference for you: http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/emplo...nce-Between-Salaried-And-Hourly-Employees.htm

Most of Disney's employees are paid hourly and understand what is being asked of them going in. If they're asked to work longer shifts, they work the longer shifts and keep a smile on their faces while doing so. College Programmers are probably the ones caught off guard the most by the requests to work longer shifts. Their goal in working Disney is to make a few bucks and have fun. :D Pssst: if you're considering applying to the CP, ask for a water park ... I've heard life guarding is the best position.
Honestly, if I was a water park worker, I would be Captain Jack Sparrow as his boat sinks.. as I cant swim very well lol.
so no life guarding for me.. XD

also thx for the link!

Jabbas

I don't work for Disney but at my job it's the same thing. Even when your closing your scheduled to leave at a certain time but if they need you to stay you are expected to unless you have a really good reason. My boyfriend has mandatary overtime for the next 6 months and is working 70 hours every week.

dstrawn9889

'expected to'... tell them your excuse is the contract you signed saying you work the schedule presented, and if they have a problem with that then to take it up with your states labor board. (best buy store management did not like me so much after that. they lock us inside with the key roaming the floor, and i told them to get the key up front to let me out at my assigned time, or i would make a door with the lift and let myself out)

Jabbas

Lol I wish I could do that but I don't have a choice. Money talks and I don't mind the extra income. If I had a small child it would be completely different but hopefully when the time comes ill have a better job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom