Extended 'Maleficent' movie preview coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios in April

Bocabear

OMG are they really hyping a movie preview coming to the theme park? Has DHS fallen so low that a movie preview = a new attraction? Oh Boy! I can't wait to get to Disney World so I can line up to see a movie preview...
wow... lame

Cmdr_Crimson

Sheesh why not just use the LMA or Indy theaters to actually show the movie for A huge movie event..They built a studio park for some kind of reason...

rob0519

What is an extended preview? 10-15 minutes? I'm not sure why I should be impressed by this. Premier the movie a month early in DHS, make it a Fastpass + event and let your guests who paid $100 a day to be there see it a month before the general public. That would be impressive.

Cmdr_Crimson

What is an extended preview? 10-15 minutes? I'm not sure why I should be impressed by this. Premier the movie a month early in DHS, make it a Fastpass + event and let your guests who paid $100 a day to be there see it a month before the general public. That would be impressive.

They did this for Tron Legacy at DCA in the Muppetvision theater..They show about the first 3 minutes and then all the good scenes in the remaining 7 mins of the preview....It's a dumb idea..

Bocabear

They did this for Tron Legacy at DCA in the Muppetvision theater..They show about the first 3 minutes and then all the good scenes in the remaining 7 mins of the preview....It's a dumb idea..
I agree... they end up showing far too much of the film in order to have something to market, that in the end they ruin it...no surprises... just what you saw in the previews... They did that with OZ...well, so many films...
it would be nice if just the teasers were shown. the glimpses of Malefecint in the woods... build some anticipation before showing all the key scenes and plots... Let us discover the film in the theater...

ABQ

I agree... they end up showing far too much of the film in order to have something to market, that in the end they ruin it...no surprises... just what you saw in the previews... They did that with OZ...well, so many films...
it would be nice if just the teasers were shown. the glimpses of Malefecint in the woods... build some anticipation before showing all the key scenes and plots... Let us discover the film in the theater...
Certainly cannot disagree with either of you on those points, as someone who hates spoilers, I'd never bother with a preview like this. But there are those who just love spoilers to no end. Either way, it's completely avoidable and therefore, I can't argue with them presenting this preview either.
So though you say "Let us discover the film in the theater" you still can.

NMBC1993

I feel like this is a last ditch effort to draw people into seeing this film. I just finished watching the newest trailer and I can't get hyped for this movie. It looks like ever other movie where they take a character, give them an origin story, and throw in an epic "Lord of the Rings" type battle. My question is why isn't Maleficent green? That's a basic characteristic that they just passed over. Also, I feel that by the end of this film, Maleficent will no longer be scary. The same fate that happened to Darth Vader in Episode III. "Noooo...!!";)

Last edited:

muteki

They did a similar thing with Tron 2 out in CA when it came out.

All they really did was play a trailer in the Muppetvision theater.

TP2000

They've been doing these sneak peak previews in Anaheim for several years, with Tron 3D, Oz The Great & Powerful, Frankenweenie, etc., etc. They are just cloning the idea and bringing it to WDW now with this latest one for Maleficent.

But they've always done these sneak previews for a few weeks in the MuppetVision theater at DCA...
091712-dlr025-lrg.jpg

This is the first time they've used the Bug's Life theater for a movie preview, so that's a big change for DCA. I wonder if they'll make it look like the spooky lair of Maleficent???

Cody5242

To be honest Maleficent is going to be a tough movie to sell to the general audience and if it doesn't get good reviews I can see it being a non profitable movie. It will most likely make between 100-120mill domestically if it gets good reviews

Bolt

They've been doing these sneak peak previews in Anaheim for several years, with Tron 3D, Oz The Great & Powerful, Frankenweenie, etc., etc. They are just cloning the idea and bringing it to WDW now with this latest one for Maleficent.

But they've always done these sneak previews for a few weeks in the MuppetVision theater at DCA...
091712-dlr025-lrg.jpg

This is the first time they've used the Bug's Life theater for a movie preview, so that's a big change for DCA. I wonder if they'll make it look like the spooky lair of Maleficent???
Thread goes quiet once someone said Disneyland does it.

yeti

More like a chance to let Hopper hibernate. Come on, we were all thinking it.

NMBC1993

More like a chance to let Hopper hibernate. Come on, we were all thinking it.

Very True, especially since our Hopper here in AK hasn't received any love since 98. Seriously, it looks like Hopper is having a seizure every time he goes on stage.

TP2000

Very True, especially since our Hopper here in AK hasn't received any love since 98. Seriously, it looks like Hopper is having a seizure every time he goes on stage.

Hopper is one of those animatronics that is a great point of reference for the differences in maintenance between the coasts. It's Tough To Be A Bug has a multi-week rehab about every 18 months in DCA, but no one seems to remember the last time it closed for a couple weeks of rehab out at Animal Kingdom. DCA's It's Tough To Be A Bug closes for 19 days of rehab next month, after a previous 12 day closure in 2013, as an example.

Here's a YouTube video from June of '13 of the Hopper animatronic at It's Tough To Be A Bug at Animal Kingdom. You need to watch it in HD and full size screen at the 3:10 mark for Hopper.

He shakes and wobbles on his foundations throughout his movement, and at times almost rocks back and forth a bit. Since I'm a big fan of Katherine Hepburn, I think it looks a bit like he has Parkinson's disease.

Compared to this video of Hopper at California Adventure from August of '13. It's taken from further back in the theater, but if you watch it in HD in full screen at the 9:30 mark it's easy to compare his movements to the Animal Kingdom version.

Go back and forth and watch each version in full screen. There's a fluidity and purposefulness in the movements, and a broader range of motion in the DCA Hopper that is missing in the DAK Hopper. And with the DCA version we see that Hopper's individual fingers are supposed to move, and his antenna have the ability to move and emote. It's a combination of small things, but it makes a difference. Most folks at DAK won't notice, but when you watch the DCA version you can tell the DAK version needs some work. A two or three week rehab would do wonders for the Orlando version of Hopper!

Last edited:

coilback

Any word on how long the "sneak preview" for Maleficent will run at WDW? I'll be there for the 24 hour event in May and wouldn't mind checking it out since I'm a HUGE Maleficent fan, spoilers or not.

EDIT: Nevermind, I went back and re-read the article to make sure and it says through mid-June. I think the announcement I read somewhere else didn't have how long it was running for.

tissandtully

Hopper is one of those animatronics that is a great point of reference for the differences in maintenance between the coasts. It's Tough To Be A Bug has a multi-week rehab about every 18 months in DCA, but no one seems to remember the last time it closed for a couple weeks of rehab out at Animal Kingdom. DCA's It's Tough To Be A Bug closes for 19 days of rehab next month, after a previous 12 day closure in 2013, as an example.

Here's a YouTube video from June of '13 of the Hopper animatronic at It's Tough To Be A Bug at Animal Kingdom. You need to watch it in HD and full size screen at the 3:10 mark for Hopper.

He shakes and wobbles on his foundations throughout his movement, and at times almost rocks back and forth a bit. Since I'm a big fan of Katherine Hepburn, I think it looks a bit like he has Parkinson's disease.

Compared to this video of Hopper at California Adventure from August of '13. It's taken from further back in the theater, but if you watch it in HD in full screen at the 9:30 mark it's easy to compare his movements to the Animal Kingdom version.

Go back and forth and watch each version in full screen. There's a fluidity and purposefulness in the movements, and a broader range of motion in the DCA Hopper that is missing in the DAK Hopper. And with the DCA version we see that Hopper's individual fingers are supposed to move, and his antenna have the ability to move and emote. It's a combination of small things, but it makes a difference. Most folks at DAK won't notice, but when you watch the DCA version you can tell the DAK version needs some work. A two or three week rehab would do wonders for the Orlando version of Hopper!

I need to make it out to DL, I had no idea there was a ITTBAB clone out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom