Ticket Price Increase - Feb 2014

raymusiccity

It's been posted already and the article contains an outrageous whopper:

"But while the cost of single-day tickets has soared—up more than 41 percent since 2005—Disney has dramatically cut the price for longer stays. The price of a four-day pass fell nearly $200 between 2004 and 2013, adjusted for inflation, according to data compiled by Futureprobe blogger David Landon."

All ticket types are way up, even adjusting for inflation.

Really bad journalism.

My new mantra is:

"Never has Walt Disney World been so unaffordable."

I think your mantra should have an asterisk to include Universal's hefty jump in ticket pricing:
"...the cost of a 1-Day / 2-Park ticket has risen to $136 from $128, the cost of a 2-Day / 2-Park ticket has made a far larger jump, rising to $195.99 from $146.99 ! A huge increase of $49. Seems Universal is striking while the iron's hot.

EpcoTim

I think your mantra should have an asterisk to include Universal's hefty jump in ticket pricing:
"...the cost of a 1-Day / 2-Park ticket has risen to $136 from $128, the cost of a 2-Day / 2-Park ticket has made a far larger jump, rising to $195.99 from $146.99 ! A huge increase of $49. Seems Universal is striking while the iron's hot.

Even though the conversation is about Disney.

Unplugged

I think they are going with the theme of the last few posts, which is creating a comparison of experience costs to Disney to determine if Disney prices are high or the norm as everyone increases. If we had no comparison, then one cannot say it is expensive or cheap, as those terms mandate comparison to something. Even if you're only comparing it to your own household income.

Personally I'm tired of the dollar here, dollar there increases. I'd like to see them kick off some serious projects (every park get a FLE sized project), then when the projects are completing and things are opening, increase the price. At least I can justify it to myself with "Hmmm, costs more, but there are 2-3 new attractions, new sit down & a quick service dining options, and the theming looks great."

matt9112

ticket prices are fair....where it becomes robbery is in on site accommodations. lets say you stay at a moderate resort....Disney is making more money off of you if you sit in your room all day and never go to a park. (one could argue there's some food and merch in the park scheme too) as the rate at said moderate is more than a full price day ticket. even the values are pricey for what you get out of them...there are many good reads out there about how Disney is in the hotel/timeshare business now...

pluto77

I think raymusiccity was just trying to point out that Disney isn't the only one with rediculous price hikes every year. Even Sea World/Busch Gardens recently increased their one day ticket price to $95. You can say Disney was never so unaffordable, but the same can be said about to similar offerings around the area.

Unplugged

Perhaps an minor addendum to my previous post is required.

I'm fine paying higher prices so the CMs get a fair salary. I'm not against price hikes so long as it is justified. I just hate watching things creep up. It always makes me feel like the businesses behind it are hoping I don't notice.

cw1982

Perhaps an minor addendum to my previous post is required.

I'm fine paying higher prices so the CMs get a fair salary. I'm not against price hikes so long as it is justified. I just hate watching things creep up. It always makes me feel like the businesses behind it are hoping I don't notice.

In Disney's case, though, I'm not sure they are under any illusion of price hikes going unnoticed. I'm pretty positive that they know that sites like this one are almost certain to put out articles, brief as they may be, that announce the price hikes. For examples beyond the ticket prices, look at the recent increase in parking fees and the increase in drink prices. Both were discussed here thoroughly. People who don't follow this closely may not notice, but if they're not paying attention, that's their own fault. The information is out there.

Are there companies out there who creep up their prices quietly, in hopes that people won't notice? Sure... but I'm not convinced that Disney is one of them.

matt9112

In Disney's case, though, I'm not sure they are under any illusion of price hikes going unnoticed. I'm pretty positive that they know that sites like this one are almost certain to put out articles, brief as they may be, that announce the price hikes. For examples beyond the ticket prices, look at the recent increase in parking fees and the increase in drink prices. Both were discussed here thoroughly. People who don't follow this closely may not notice, but if they're not paying attention, that's their own fault. The information is out there.

Are there companies out there who creep up their prices quietly, in hopes that people won't notice? Sure... but I'm not convinced that Disney is one of them.

they care less about us than one may think...rest assured they do read it though. see blue ocean theory.

janoimagine

A 1 day 1 park ticket to Tokyo Disneyland or Tokyo DisneySea is ¥6400, which equates to $54.20.

Just sayin...
And both parks are lightyears ahead of what we have stateside ... from innovation, to attraction upkeep to guest satisfaction ... it's remarkable how much better the Customer Service is at those properties, the only thing that comes close to it locally is the Cruise Line and now the powers that be are forcing Frozen attractions in their as well.

Matt_Black

And both parks are lightyears ahead of what we have stateside ... from innovation, to attraction upkeep to guest satisfaction ... it's remarkable how much better the Customer Service is at those properties, the only thing that comes close to it locally is the Cruise Line and now the powers that be are forcing Frozen attractions in their as well.

What does Frozen have to do with Guest Service?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Frozen just like the US is crazy popular in Japan and there it also is popular more than with pre-teen girls, So OLC is building a attraction which is WORTHY of the movie, Not a Cheap and nasty Frostrom like we are getting in the US, The H--- of it is OLC's attraction will probably be open BEFORE WDW's cheap-n-nasty one.

lentesta

Premium Member
which is interesting, considering living costs and prices in Japan are probably way above the US median.

It might be closer than you think for comparable-sized cities in Japan and the US. Hiroshima has roughly the population as my metropolitan area, and this site seems to indicate prices are slightly higher in the US. Not sure what things like taxes and healthcare would mean to that, but the tax rates look roughly comparable at a glance, and most healthcare is nationalized in Japan.

Don't forget that Japan has undergone 20 years of either very low inflation or outright deflation, so prices haven't risen much (by definition) in a long time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom